Puerto Adventuras questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mje113

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be staying in Puerto Adventuras while taking a class in January. I know literally nothing about PA but have been scanning the map and I see plenty of restaurant options close to the room I'll be staying in, but nothing in the way of groceries. I won't need a lot but the class will involve long days so was hoping to stock up on some basic breakfast/snack items (and some alcohol). Does anyone who's familiar with the area know what my options are?

I see a Chedraui across the highway, but that looks like a fairly hefty walk from where I'm staying.

Depending on where in PA you're staying, yeah it can be a little bit of a walk. Chedraui is indeed the main grocery spot. There's also two smaller places right inside the puebla, I forget the names, good for quick stops for essentials.

I'm going to be staying in Puerto Adventuras while taking a class in January. I know literally nothing about PA but have been scanning the map and I see plenty of restaurant options close to the room I'll be staying in, but nothing in the way of groceries. I won't need a lot but the class will involve long days so was hoping to stock up on some basic breakfast/snack items (and some alcohol). Does anyone who's familiar with the area know what my options are?

I see a Chedraui across the highway, but that looks like a fairly hefty walk from where I'm staying.

It’s not a great walk but it’s a awesome grocery store

It has been a while, but from the cab stand inside the compound I believe it was about $7 or $8 each way to the Chedraui. Great selection of produce and food items.

It’s more expensive on the way out due to the cab having to go up to a median break north of the Chedraui.

Inside the compound is an OXXO (think 7-11) with a snacks and drinks orientation.

Additionally there used to be a farmers market inside the compound at the gazebo behind the Pub, if memory serves me right, on Saturday and Wednesday.

It has been a while since we were there, but highly recommend Paparazzi for pizza, Pub for breakfast (try the huevos con Chaya - I think - and a Chaya smoothie).

To the OP, are you staying in a condo?

Oh, my wife and I have trekked with our loaded grocery bags back from Chedraui a number of times. If you're staying inside the compound, it's not THAT terrible a walk. Stock up once for the week. You could also walk there and take a taxi back. There are sometimes taxis waiting outside Chedraui.

A class you say. With whom, if I may ask?

As for other eating options, inside the compound we like The Pub, which has Mexican as well as "international" food. The Argentine place is a treat. Outside the compound, just a bit down the side street after Chedraui, we like La Palapa de Marlon. We eat there at least a couple of times over the course of a week.

Where are you staying? It is probably worth taking a cab back, but it shouldn't be too bad... I'd say it's likely walkable.

It has been a while since we were there, but highly recommend Paparazzi for pizza, Pub for breakfast (try the huevos con Chaya - I think - and a Chaya smoothie).
As for other eating options, inside the compound we like The Pub, which has Mexican as well as "international" food.
Sounds like the Pub is popular! I'll definitely check it out if I have time.

A class you say. With whom, if I may ask?
Technically 2 classes... 2 days of Doubles Primer, then right into 4 days of Fundamentals with Emoke Wagner! I'm really excited (and a tad apprehensive).

She said I'll need to pack lunch daily, and I'm pretty sure the days will be long. I arrive in Cancun at 2:40pm, and will have a private transfer, but I figure I'll be getting in late. I think this is going to be a bit of a challenge. Maybe I can arrange to have my transfer stop at Chedraui on the way there...

I'm staying at Villas Picalu Lodge, which looks like it's going to be a hike to get anywhere.

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 8.54.15 AM.png

Circled in red--is that a walkway across the highway? I guess it doesn't look like it's near the gate...

Technically 2 classes... 2 days of Doubles Primer, then right into 4 days of Fundamentals with Emoke Wagner! I'm really excited (and a tad apprehensive).
I think Doubles Primer and straight into Fundies is brilliant--you will be so well prepared! I have not dived with Emoke, but I did a week of guided diving with her husband Laszlo when he still worked at Zero Gravity. You're going to have a great time!
I'm staying at Villas Picalu Lodge, which looks like it's going to be a hike to get anywhere.
Aha. We stayed at Villas Picalu once, and it was just fine. We had the unit all the way to the back of the entry hall, on the right hand side. The walk from there into the center of the complex, where the restaurants, OXXO store, etc., are is pretty easy. The walk from there to the gate of the complex is a bit longer.
Circled in red--is that a walkway across the highway? I guess it doesn't look like it's near the gate...
Exactly. You have to follow the road from Villas Picalu to the gate of the complex, and then once out of the complex you walk along the main road until you reach that pedestrian overpass. We were idiots and walked back with our grocery bags, but if I were to give advice based on that experience I'd say take a taxi back.

Sounds like the Pub is popular! I'll definitely check it out if I have time.

She said I'll need to pack lunch daily, and I'm pretty sure the days will be long. I arrive in Cancun at 2:40pm, and will have a private transfer, but I figure I'll be getting in late. I think this is going to be a bit of a challenge. Maybe I can arrange to have my transfer stop at Chedraui on the way there...

View attachment 810987

I think that is a pedestrian bridge that you circled, but you have to go out the main gate to get to it. I want to say there are two pedestrian bridges, one down by the main gate itself.

Not sure how hailing a cab would work in that part of the compound, we always stayed in condos closer to the marina/centro.

When we were going to PA regularly, we would have the transport driver (we also booked private transport) stop along the way, so that shouldn't be a problem to ask them to stop at the Chedraui.

One recommendation - the Chedraui, while well laid out, can be a bit overwhelming. I am sure you will do this but make a list of what you think you will need before you get in there.

Good Luck!

I think Doubles Primer and straight into Fundies is brilliant--you will be so well prepared! I have not dived with Emoke, but I did a week of guided diving with her husband Laszlo when he still worked at Zero Gravity. You're going to have a great time!
Yeah--it was Emoke's suggestion to do the Primer before. I think it would be a lot to take on diving doubles for the first time--in Fundamentals. I'm already struggling enough with drysuit diving. This way I'll have a couple days to get the lay of the land, figure out groceries and whatnot. The only downside is it's cutting into the time I'm spending with some friends on Cozumel, but well worth it for the training I'm getting.

Aha. We stayed at Villas Picalu once, and it was just fine. We had the unit all the way to the back of the entry hall, on the right hand side. The walk from there into the center of the complex, where the restaurants, OXXO store, etc., are is pretty easy. The walk from there to the gate of the complex is a bit longer.
Glad it's easy to get to the restaurants. It looks far on the map, but I walk a lot on a daily basis so not too concerned. I don't really need much in the way of lodging, just a bed, AC and wifi. The price is perfect. I'm in the "Lodge" and not really sure the difference between that and the studios/suites.

When we were going to PA regularly, we would have the transport driver (we also booked private transport) stop along the way, so that shouldn't be a problem to ask them to stop at the Chedraui.

One recommendation - the Chedraui, while well laid out, can be a bit overwhelming. I am sure you will do this but make a list of what you think you will need before you get in there.
I'm beginning to think that this is going to be my only option. I've never been in a giant Mexican grocery store before--should I expect to find any prepared food, like sandwiches, that would be appropriate for packing for lunch?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom