Hotel Cozumel vs Vista Del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info. Still tossing up where to stay, but I have a little time before I need to make up my mind. Any more opinions are welcome!

Re: AI option at Hotel Coz, I had the same attitude. If it was $15-20pp I would probably do it just for lunch and drinks (not big drinkers, but a few margaritas on vacation is not a bad thing). At twice that it isn't worth it when I plan on eating dinner in town anyway. If I decide to go Hotel Coz I might try calling just to see if I can get a better price than the website.

I have also rented a Jeep at Hotel Coz the night after my last dive. While it is within walking distance (about 3/4 km) to the main part of town, it was nice to drive that night and then had teh Jeep for the entire no-dive day to explore the Island. Small Island but fun to drive around. Pretty hard to get lost.

Mark,

One final note...the way the system is set up, you will have to use a shuttle service at the airport to get to your hotel. They are not expensive. You can find them once you get past all of the "Time Share" salemen. When you talk with the hotels you might ask if they have a airport pick-up service.

Enjoy Cozumel...

~ME~

One final note...the way the system is set up, you will have to use a shuttle service at the airport to get to your hotel. They are not expensive. You can find them once you get past all of the "Time Share" salemen. When you talk with the hotels you might ask if they have a airport pick-up service.

Thanks, good to know for future trips, but this time we will be spending a few days in Playa first, so we'll be taking the ferry over.

We've just return from our third visit and we have staid at Hotel Cozumel each time as well as dove with Dive Paradise. Weve really enjoyed ourselves each time. I often read that the food there is terrible and like cicopo I totally disagree. Lots of fresh veggies and ability to eat healthy brings us back. Service is outstanding. The shore dive on this last trip was a bit rough getting out of the water - but that was because of the weather. But it is still a nice place for a night dive - we always see so many different animals just off shore. It's also nice to be able to rent a car right at the hotel. We will be back again.

I am curious about a few things..

first, why do you need steel tanks? Is it an air consumption issue or the wt? Most people use Alum 80s on Cozumel as it is drift diving, everyone stays together on boat dives (led by a DM) and comes up together due to the current.

second, I am assuming you have never been to Cozumel. The fact is that Coz does not really have shore diving. There is rubble near shore and fish hang out in there to some extent, but that is ALL there is close to shore anywhere on island. If you really want 3-4 dives per day, I would recommend you dive with a Dive Op that can give you that many BOAT dives per day.

Since you have mentioned Hotel Cozumel... why not get one of their 3-tank day packages with Dive Paradise? Then if you do want to shore dive, you can do that in addition. I would recommend you swim north from their dock over to SCC shore diving area where that resort has placed all kinds of rubble and cones to attract fishlife. It is a much nicer area than in front of Hotel Coz. I know this from personal experience. We always stay at ScubaClub and that is the best shore diving area period.

I have done a video to show the ScubaClub shore dive area:
[vimeo]11565537[/vimeo]

As you can see in that video, there is no "reef" close to shore, only rubble. The reefs of Cozumel are too far off shore, and too much current to dive to them from shore, plus there is constant boat traffic. You need a boat to get to the reefs.

robin

I am curious about a few things..

first, why do you need steel tanks? Is it an air consumption issue or the wt? Most people use Alum 80s on Cozumel as it is drift diving, everyone stays together on boat dives (led by a DM) and comes up together due to the current.

second, I am assuming you have never been to Cozumel. The fact is that Coz does not really have shore diving. There is rubble near shore and fish hang out in there to some extent, but that is ALL there is close to shore anywhere on island. If you really want 3-4 dives per day, I would recommend you dive with a Dive Op that can give you that many BOAT dives per day.

Robin,

To answer your questions...

1. Steel 120's was a consideration for a few reasons, first weight, as you suggest, diving with little to no weight certainly is nice (but obviously not required), second is equipment familiarity, I dive with HP130's back at home and am used to doing multi-level dives to my NDC limits. Having the option to dive with similar tanks on vacation is a plus. Third, because their available, always better to have too much gas than to little. It's not so much a requirement as it is a nice to have which because it's easily available from several highly rated dive shops I don't mind to spend the extra $$ on.

2. You are correct, this will be my first trip to coz. I'm not really interested in alot of shore diving, I'll get in as much diving as my wife will allow (4x 2-tank days for sure, plus a night dive thrown in somewhere). I figure I might be able to swing a shore dive or two in the afternoon (usual dive days in the past, in playa del carmen, have consisted of 2 tanks in the am, massage on the beach in the pm). Even still what shore diving is available will still beat the cold mountain lakes I'm used to :)

I've had pretty good luck in the past picking dive ops with small boats and good personal service, and I am positive that I will get that from any of the 3 shops I've shortlisted, that's not to say that there aren't other good ops on the island. I'm sure there are and I may use one of those shops for my night dive or any pm dives I happen to be able to convince the boss of.

I'm not really interested in alot of shore diving, I'll get in as much diving as my wife will allow (4x 2-tank days for sure, plus a night dive thrown in somewhere).

I may have missed a mention of this, but I'm assuming your wife doesn't dive? If so, I highly recommend Hotel Cozumel if she is the type who would like to lounge by the pool or beach with a book, etc. I've been to Hotel Coz twice this year (well, I guess it was LAST year, 2011!) and picked it because the pool area was great for the non-divers in our group. If she would rather spend her time shopping, than Vista Del Mar (or Bahia, etc.) is a better option.

I actually really enjoy the walk to and from town each night for dinner and have never taken a taxi - it just depends on your style I guess. I like the walk after stuffing myself on wonderful cuisine.

Last, I echo what everyone else has said about shore diving - it's definitely RUBBLE diving, but you can find all sorts of critters if you are patient and like the little stuff. It's perfect for night diving (and much less expensive than a boat). If you dive right from Dive Paradise, you can be back to your room within minutes.

Have a great trip.

Robin,

To answer your questions...

1. Steel 120's was a consideration for a few reasons, first weight, as you suggest, diving with little to no weight certainly is nice (but obviously not required), second is equipment familiarity, I dive with HP130's back at home and am used to doing multi-level dives to my NDC limits. Having the option to dive with similar tanks on vacation is a plus. Third, because their available, always better to have too much gas than to little. It's not so much a requirement as it is a nice to have which because it's easily available from several highly rated dive shops I don't mind to spend the extra $$ on.

2. You are correct, this will be my first trip to coz. I'm not really interested in alot of shore diving, I'll get in as much diving as my wife will allow (4x 2-tank days for sure, plus a night dive thrown in somewhere). I figure I might be able to swing a shore dive or two in the afternoon (usual dive days in the past, in playa del carmen, have consisted of 2 tanks in the am, massage on the beach in the pm). Even still what shore diving is available will still beat the cold mountain lakes I'm used to :)

I've had pretty good luck in the past picking dive ops with small boats and good personal service, and I am positive that I will get that from any of the 3 shops I've shortlisted, that's not to say that there aren't other good ops on the island. I'm sure there are and I may use one of those shops for my night dive or any pm dives I happen to be able to convince the boss of.

As far as the 3 dive shops you have picked... just make sure they are running an afternoon dive boat each day. Most dive ops in Coz do not, unless they have a certain number of divers (the reefs are far out and gas is not cheap). This is why I suggested Dive Paradise package with Hotel Cozumel... they do have an afternoon boat daily as they stop at several hotels to pick up the divers, and they have multiple boats. They also have smaller boats, which you can book instead of the larger ones, for an additional charge. Just thought I would mention it, in case you are interested.

Regardless, you will love Cozumel diving. Tons of fish, great reef structure, swim-throughs and walls. Its all good, even the rubbly shore diving if you like shallow dives with fish watching (like me).

As far as hotels.... downtown hotels are too noisy for us. We don't like the whole area downtown during daytime for that reason .... cruise ship pod people in hords, time-share hawks bothering you as you walk around, traffic, noise... uggghhh. I suggest you move a little south of town for a hotel, but that is just my personal preference. (And I have been told by a friend that the music and noise downtown at night has kept him awake at his hotel.)

Hotel Cozumel is close enough to town to walk there and it is good if you have a non-diver with you... big pool, snorkeling area at shore (no beach). There is also a tour desk where your wife can book a day trip somewhere while you are out diving. The south end of the westside of island has some beach clubs (fee to get in, but restrooms and food available). Also, it is a good idea to rent a car for a day and drive around the island to eastside, have a few beers at Coconuts or one of the other restaurants there.

If you haven't bought a Cozumel map... this one gives you everything on the island, all restaurants, prices and menu suggestions, hours, stores, dive shops and hotels, etc. We love this thing!! It shows the reefs, too. It is cheap and a must for any visitor to Cozumel.

Cozumel Map and Travel Guide

robin

PS Aldora now also does afternoon 1 tank dives everyday, from the Aldora Pier downtown. Hp120s or 100s and $40 each.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom