Hotel Prices in Key Largo Doubled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Stayed at a great place in January in Tavernier/Key Largo area 2 months ago in January. Want to go back 1st week of April solo this time. Holy crap, hotel prices have doubled and now that I am going solo, it is going to cost me 4 times as much as it did last time. I thought spring break was over by then since we are in April but I guess not.

This may be the deal breaker that I may just go elsewhere. Any ideas? Maybe the Fort Lauderdale area instead?

You should have bid for the Marriott 2 night stay here on SB! :)

You should have bid for the Marriott 2 night stay here on SB! :)

Unfortunately, I have no idea what you are talking about. I need 5 nights if I am going too travel that far to spend money and dive.

Yep it's still spring break the first week of April. Easter isn't till April 24 when prices drop somewhat. The hotels around here are worse than OPEC in price fixing and knowing when the crowds want to come down.

We'll do our best to find you the cheapest we can, but during that time will be very hard.

Good Diving,

The prices at the major hotels on the east coast will increase some during peak
season but nothing like the keys. I feel bad for the charters, their business is
affected by these many times unaffordable rates for lodging in the keys. I
personally would dive down there a lot more if it were not for the higher rates
for lodging. I always thought it would be great if a few of the charters went in on
a hotel and offered just the basic amenities and offered dive and lodging packages.

Its all about supply and demand: off season, I've paid as low at $80 at the Bayside Hotel in Key Largo but last April paid $169 per night: ouch!!! The Keys are really pleasant during March, April and May.

Florida City might be an option: its only a 20-30 minute drive to Key Largo. Also, you might look into camping although the tent spaces in the state parks get reserved months in advance. A couple of years ago in May, I lucked out and reserved a tent site at Bahia Honda the weekend before my trip when someone else cancelled and had a great time. I then drove north 45 mintues to dive with Conch Republic.

If it were me and I ended up having to stay in Fort Lauderdale (which is a bit of a haul to Key Largo with the terrible weekday traffic in the AM), I'd probably just dive in Fort Lauderdale, Pompano and Miami

I get some pretty good rates at Comfort Suites in Deerfield Beach. Twenty
minutes up to Boynton, ten minutes to Pompano. They are on SW 10th St.
just west of I95. (south side of sw 10th)

Big thanks to Admiral Brenda of Conch Republic for securing an apartment for me at half the price of a hotel in the area. Thank you!

Great Job!! Glad it worked out so well, b/c scoring a good deal in the Keys is difficult, especially during peak times!

OTOH.......

Note to self - when you travel in season, expect to pay more - like bitching about hotel rates at Disney between Christmas and New Years, or having higher rates and minimum stay requirements during Mini Season in the Keys - go a different time, or go to a different place - or do what they did in olden times and pick up the phone and speak directly w/ the property - also be aware of time periods to avoid (like spring break and mini season and Disney Christmas - New Years!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom