House Painters and Remodelers - don't show up in a Lexus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got Sears coming tonight to see about refacing our cabinets - let's see what he shows up in...

And don't be having anything nice in public if you are a dive shop owner. We all make too much money. :11:

You can't imagine the bad feelings I get from people when I go on holiday or have something new...jeesshhh!

I wouldn't worry if my contractor shows up in a limo and Armani if she/he has a good reputation and a fair bid. The only way we have ever found good people is by word of mouth - even in a new neighbourhood a few questions seems to find plenty of people willing to share their experiences...bad mostly, of course, but sometimes someone has found a gem!

Good luck - you couldn't pay me enough to DIY :wink:

Mo2vation:
My latest Whine... <snip>

The outside needs help.

So I've been taking estimates on paint, tex cote, wood work and the like. We are in the vortex of porch flier central - the daily barrage of painters, coaters, remodelers, etc. arrive daily on my doorstep. So I've actually called some of these people.

Three have come to the house so far - all three company representatives have rolled up to my house driving a Lexus.

I've sent all three of these preposterously glossy, GQ reading, Homme Dior meets Dries van Noten, flash car driving Tony Robbins looking clowns packing.

#$$)%@$*!*^

Ken

Dude #4 never showed up at all. Dude #5 came by last night.

Met his company at a Home Decorating and remodeling show in LA recently. Local, friendly, principal of the company, musician (well, guitar player - won't hold THAT against him) and a sweet, knowledgable guy.

Took his time, measured, made thoughtful recommendations, price was very reasonable, called his references - all checks out. Has a store front, etc, etc.

Jaye and I sent him out of the living room to sort of pray and confer - and it was really cool. We both said the same thing: We trust this guy.

So we break ground on the outside a week after I conclude my Re-Fi sweepstakes.

K

PS: guy rolled up in a nice van.

My sister and bro-in-law have it the worst of any of you, when it comes to people resenting you driving a nice car, having a nice home, etc... They are "Preacher" and the "Preacher's wife". Any new clothes or anything she gets are scrutinized completely and mentioned. "I wish I could get a new dress, too!" is the type of thing that they deal with. People seem to forget that they're also business owners and that she is also a school principal. Any of you in public-type service jobs like that understand what this is like.

Foo

boomx5:
This is funny Brian. It's a amazing how people react when I show up in my Mercedes as opposed to my Expedition.
Sooo... don't keep us in suspense... which one gets the BETTER reaction? I bought Camille an '04 Rav4-L for Christmas last year, but it's a little small for running clients to show homes. Should I replace it with an RX330 or a Camry?

Foo:
Any of you in public-type service jobs like that understand what this is like.

As a government employee I know that very well. The local birdcage liner (it's not worthy of being called a "newspaper") publishes an article every year about who made the most money in city government. While they have no problem comparing what those people actually made to what they normally would have, they fail to mention that those people put in incredible amounts of overtime to get there, and that sometimes these folks would work 16 hour days back to back and/or several weeks if not MONTHS without a day off.

Back
Top Bottom