Hovering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't realise anyone said it was...but it does have its uses for me and my diving, so my point was simply that very few things are absolute and that each diver will find things that are comfortable and useful.

And being able to work in a wide range of positions can't be a bad thing IMHO

alcina:
I didn't realise anyone said it was...but it does have its uses for me and my diving, so my point was simply that very few things are absolute and that each diver will find things that are comfortable and useful.

And being able to work in a wide range of positions can't be a bad thing IMHO

True.

What a DM, or any diver, should understand is that when your center of gravity and center of buoyancy are in the same place, or at least in line, then there are no apposing forces and you can maintain any position that you choose without effort.

Divers should be tested on their understanding of this and on their ability to apply it. That's not what we do though. In reality we fail to teach theose simple but important mechanics and then we allow the diver, DM or instructor to hover in any position. We don't use the demostration to show control but rather to allow a lack of control. A good test might be to require the diver to hover in several different positions with horizontal always being one of them.

If we can't get those centers perfectly lined up, having things set up such that the horizontal position can be maintained does the most to enable control while diving. It's nice to be able maintain any position you want but if you can't stay horizontal then you simply can't do a good efficient job of diving. Divers and especially pros should be required to know how to do it efficiently. How can they teach it if they can't?

Soggy:
Just because you choose to do it that way does not make it an ideal or even smart position to be in.

My, How serious. Sometimes we do things, like scuba, because it is fun and challenging.
This is a picture of Jim from NC, drifting on Cozumel, 6/19/06. Nice guy. Excellant diver. Seemed smart.

caseybird:
My, How serious. Sometimes we do things, like scuba, because it is fun and challenging.
This is a picture of Jim from NC, drifting on Cozumel, 6/19/06. Nice guy. Excellant diver. Seemed smart.

Whers the picture?

MikeFerrara:
When are the diving skills of this pro tested? ok, we had to demo some OW level skills. Most of us did them just like we usually have a student do them...while kneeling. When was our diving ability tested? Shouldn't instructors and DM's be skilled divers? Are they? Show me the test that verifies it.

You would think that by time you get to this level you would have mastered these skills and not need a test.
I have a friend that ownes his own shop He has such a passion for diving that when you end as a DM you have 150 REAL dives under your belt and his INST course ends you with 250+ dives.
I am neither. However, I get invited to go on many of these dives. Just being there is has a synger like effect...you know 1+1=3.

If you dive 5x times a week, geeze, sooner or later somethings gotta click!

Bigcape:
You would think that by time you get to this level you would have mastered these skills and not need a test.

I wouldn't think so at all because I know what standards require to be taught and demonstrated. If a thing isn't ever taught, why would you expect some one to know it?
I have a friend that ownes his own shop He has such a passion for diving that when you end as a DM you have 150 REAL dives under your belt and his INST course ends you with 250+ dives.
I am neither. However, I get invited to go on many of these dives. Just being there is has a synger like effect...you know 1+1=3.

If you dive 5x times a week, geeze, sooner or later somethings gotta click!

There are certainly instructors out there who do a great job but the agencies don't require that either.

Some divers are also able to teach themselves but having taught yourself isn't a requirement of the DM or instructor training/testing process either.

Scuba_Steve:
Yeah buddy, I felt it wrong to beat up on this poor fellow after that :)

lol

Scuba Steve,
Too bad you and tedtim didn't (or possibly can't) comprehend that I wrote that this was told to me as an explanation for the position. I did not come up with this idea, just passed it along as a possibility.

You continued jesting of it just points out that you are evidently members of "The Six M's Club".

P.S. I think it is sadly laughable when someone only quotes a part of what another person says, in order to attempt to tear that person down in order to attempt to falsely infalte their own sagging ego. Pathetic is one word that come to mind. Hopefully I'm mistaken in my assessment.

Back
Top Bottom