How about this---What line of equipment in the SCUBA Industry is overpriced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tops on my list would be $1500 Titanium regulators. Personally the idea is silly. You spend almost 3 times as much to make the gear lighter then you have to turn around and add more weight to you rbelt, or atlelast thats the way I see it. I guess if I were a DM at a resort and spent all day in the water I would consider it for its lower maintenence (according to Atomic).

Next might be HID lights cost anywhere near $1000. They are nice but I would have to think twice about dropping that kind of money on one.

I think we all might have a better perspective though if we actually knew what went into making the gear. Or we might be more outraged.

Well, some people just have to have their toys, and apparently have more money than they know what to do with. I just want to know what person was sitting there and said," I've got it, everyone wants to talk with a snorkel in their mouths!":confused:

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
I think we all might have a better perspective though if we actually knew what went into making the gear. Or we might be more outraged.

I'm more likely to fall on the side of outraged... There is *no* way that a BC has anywhere close to $600 of parts and labour, even considering the design time.:rolleyes:

BigMike once bubbled...
I just want to know what person was sitting there and said," I've got it, everyone wants to talk with a snorkel in their mouths!":confused:

Are we sure it was that type of radio? Maybe it was an FM radio so that you could listen to the weather... or the news on the latest shark attack in the bay that you're in... as you are snorkeling.

KrisB once bubbled...

Are we sure it was that type of radio? Maybe it was an FM radio so that you could listen to the weather... or the news on the latest shark attack in the bay that you're in... as you are snorkeling.

I should have been more clear! It is an FM radio. I didn't look at it too closely, but it appeared to have volume controls on the front, as well as a seek/scan button, and pre-set stations, just like a car stereo! What's next? An MP3 playing mask?

ScubaVP once bubbled...
I should have been more clear! It is an FM radio. I didn't look at it too closely, but it appeared to have volume controls on the front, as well as a seek/scan button, and pre-set stations, just like a car stereo! What's next? An MP3 playing mask?

Uhm... already there. Well, almost.

http://www.desdiver.com/Products/

DeepTechScuba once bubbled...
Doctor Bill,

If you will do the math, the life-time warranty and free parts forever of you-know-who that appeared as every other name on Goddard's list would explain the prices.

Until you move.

ScubaVP once bubbled...

I think it is ok if you want to use a snorkel. I am not going to bash anybody for wanting to use one, but come on...do you really need a radio in it??? :mean:

Maybe if you're stuck doing an extended surface swim and you want a litte entertainment to make the trip go faster.....only thing i can think of. :D

Dive computers have to be on the list.

I own a Nike SDM. It has a transmitter on my foot and a wrist unit. It will tell me how fast/far I'm running including a large variety of ways to display that information. It is waterproof, though rated to depths slightly less than a dive computer. The transmitter uses a gyroscope to figure out how far your foot is moving. Total cost 2 years ago: $300.

Timex makes a similar unit that uses GPS instead of a gyro, current stree price: $150

Heart rate monitors use electric transduction to find out your heart rate and transmit these to wrist units and can be had as low as $50.

Similar technologies, similar vertial markets, yet hosless dive computers range from $700-$2000. Can you say ripoff?

James Goddard once bubbled...
Similar technologies, similar vertial markets, yet hosless dive computers range from $700-$2000. Can you say ripoff?

Well, almost. The only difference is that with a dive computer you're talking about a much higher liability suit should it fail. No one would ever argue that a pedometer is life support equipment... :)

Also consider reliability and testing. Personally, I agree, $1000 is too much for a dive computer. But $500-$800 isn't obscene if it works better than the recalled Uwatecs...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom