How about this---What line of equipment in the SCUBA Industry is overpriced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Goddard once bubbled...
Dive computers have to be on the list.
Similar technologies, similar vertial markets, yet hosless dive computers range from $700-$2000. Can you say ripoff?

This I have to totally agree upon and would have mentioned had it not done so already. Even regular console dive computers are priced high, then they charge you a fortune for a little peice to plug in to it and transmit the information to your PC.

Computers aren't overpriced. I paid $575 for my Edge in 1986. I didn't pay anything close to that for my most recent computer which is a nitrox. OTOH, I'd be willing to pay more for a computer with a display like the Edge.

I agree. In '93 I paid 650.00 for my Orca Phoenix AI with compass. In '03 I paid 650.00 for my Oceanic VT Pro.

I've also seen a few in the "entry" level range that to me are nothing more than glorified digital watches. Nitrox has been around long enough that the firmware programming that is the base for dive computers should be relatively ironed out and the same across the board. Also memory has gotten smaller, faster, and much cheaper. Being one who works in the tech industry, I have seen the PDA watches which can transmit like a cellular phone to synchronize calendars, etc., and maintain many more funtions than monitoring air and storing 20 dives.

Percieved value really.. I know that I get hardware for 25-50% less than what most people would gladly pay, and I tend to look at all things tech with the same scruitinizing eye.

Combo flashlight/strobe. I've seen these from $15 - $40. Dive shops are usually on the high side, alot of outdoor places sell these $$$ too - but cheap in my local marine supply place, which I wouldn't have expected. (I've found other diving-useful stuff relatively cheap in general marine places.)

DeepTechScuba... Shame on me? Shame on ScubaPro. I have posted a number of times about my experiences (and those of the LDS'es and some other divers here) with that brand. I swear by the OLDER ScubaPro equipment I use regularly without problem (X-Tek BCD, MK10/G250 regs) but I've found current product to be less reliable than my older stuff. Three separate warranty services on the same part on a brand new BCD straight from ScubaPro within less than 6 months? Indicates something to me... possibly a lemon, possibly poor materials selections.

Dr. Bill

kingdiver once bubbled...

Just a little??

Hope the $495 is worth it for whoever gets suckered into buying such an item. Damn worth it.

Time for a dive mission!

yeah but you choose the extra made fromthe tan delta material which are stiff as heck, if you have it made from the pro black material the price is aroound 225

if you get the deltas you had better have some strong legs to put behind them because you will need it

saltwater taffy once bubbled...
P.S. On the wetsuit hanger, duct tape two plastic hangers together or use a piece of pvc pipe.

I use a fat clothes hanger and wrap it with bubble wrap and some sticky tape.. Works wonderful

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom