How close should you be to your buddy underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bburville

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Here a few of my dive buddies give some practical examples...
[video=youtube;7qj5FC8t618]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qj5FC8t618[/video]
[video=youtube;cIch7J-S1Mw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIch7J-S1Mw[/video]
[video=youtube;TBGNisOiLw4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBGNisOiLw4[/video]

Safe diving,
Ben

Ben Burville - YouTube
@Sealdiver

Like in your first video, I prefer to stay in touch-contact with my buddy. Of course, my buddy is my husband, not an adorable seal. But so far, our visibility has never been that good.

Distance is an irrelevant term. Diver's should maintain situational awareness and react to problems in sufficient time to contribute towards a safe and successful resolution.

Distance is an irrelevant term. Diver's should maintain situational awareness and react to problems in sufficient time to contribute towards a safe and successful resolution.

When you're faced with a diving emergency distance from your Buddy isn't irrelevant. How long it takes to resolve a problem cannot always be predetermined. Emergencies have a way of compounding themselves rather quickly. The shorter the distance (between a Buddy) equates to a shortened response time (something that can make the difference between a resolved situation and panic/injury or death). Situational awareness should be a given.

When you're faced with a diving emergency distance from your Buddy isn't irrelevant. How long it takes to resolve a problem cannot always be predetermined. Emergencies have a way of compounding themselves rather quickly. The shorter the distance (between a Buddy) equates to a shortened response time (something that can make the difference between a resolved situation and panic/injury or death). Situational awareness should be a given.

All true. My point was merely that being 6ft from your buddy is irrelevant if you're not paying them attention. Likewise, being 6ft in front of them, swimming fast forwards and not looking back, is very different to being 6ft behind them. Distance is relative to pace... if the rear-most diver has a problem, he has to catch-up that distance... which can be tragically time consuming.

Situational awareness should be a given. It rarely is. Swimming blissfully along in your own wacky, wonderful world is a far more critical hazard than straying out of arms length, IMHO.

All true. My point was merely that being 6ft from your buddy is irrelevant if you're not paying them attention. Likewise, being 6ft in front of them, swimming fast forwards and not looking back, is very different to being 6ft behind them. Distance is relative to pace... if the rear-most diver has a problem, he has to catch-up that distance... which can be tragically time consuming.

Situational awareness should be a given. It rarely is. Swimming blissfully along in your own wacky, wonderful world is a far more critical hazard than straying out of arms length, IMHO.

I find that a diver seldom can stay within touching distance at all times without good situational awareness. I find it helpful for students to understand the expectation of "touching distance at all times." The onus is on both divers to make this happen. Even at the initial stage it promotes situational awareness between both divers and encourages communication and cooperation. Perhaps we're saying the same thing in different ways, but distance isn't irrelevant.

how far do you want to swim with no air ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom