How come Discovery scuba is so expensive in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're right, the sky won't fall. They can just snorkel while you dive. Enjoy your trip! :)

I totally take your point.

And while I (almost always) agree w/ my friend Debby, the costs associated w/ doing a discover scuba are fair, HOWEVER I've seen $99 as the standard in much of S FL, just not in the Keys.

Frankly, and I'm a 30+ year diver, w/ well over a thousand dives - given your comment, and where you live - I'd rethink the whole thing, or do something on the cruse ship. No way would I pay $150 - 250 per kid - way to much.

I'd consider $99 per kid, however - its also valid that they are almost certain to like diving - so what is step 2 - it will cost you much more to get them certified, basic equipment, et al - then what - as you point out, Toronto is not exactly the dive capital of North America.

Diving local is a pet peeve of mine - main reason the sport loses so many IMO is divers look to FL and the carribean as the only places to dive - and this is not the case - tuna fish is not as good as lobster, but that does not mean you can't enjoy them both - so unless you are prepared to pay much more - and you posted step 2 is on them - maybe I'd break out the 'ol snorkle.

Seriously, for a couple of hundred for both its not the end of the world - I just think once they try it.....then you are in for the bucks!

Enjoy your vacation!

I feel your pain, I have 6 kids, all diving age, I am about to start my Instructor training in part because it will be cheaper (almost) than paying for all of them to be certified with someone else. (not really my motivation).

Snorkeling is great, and it builds an apatite for diving, they may be willing to work for their certs more if they want it more.

I do not think 150 if it includes a boat trip is out of line, DSD should be a bit more than a regular dive trip or else no one would get certified and the shop has to pay an instructor or DM (cause tips might not pay the bills). we paid that in PR and the diving was marginal compared to the Keys.

Enjoy.

Torontonian,

Since they have done a DSD in past its worth noting that the pool portion of a DSD is valid for one year by PADI standards. If they did the DSD last summer for example you may only need to be paying for having a pro in the water with you during there dive.

Different shops have different rules about that so can't say for sure but its worth asking.

...but was shocked to find the rates in Key Largo at $150 or more. Why is the rate in Key Largo so high?

You won't find this in the chamber of commerce brochures but diving in Key Largo is challenging. Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. The extra charges defray the insurance costs due to the staggeringly high number or tourist DSD's lost every year (thousands). And the cost of keeping it out of the papers. (Not like the locals can actually read, but... many tourists can.)

As an in-between alternative, have you thought about finding someone to give them a freediving lesson. It's a step up from snorkeling in terms of what you see and do, and a step down in cost.

I wouldn't be crazy about doing a DSD anywhere with my kids. I would think that freediving in 20-25ft of water would be a blast.

If they decide to go on to scuba one day, their watermanship skills should serve them well.

Well I think $150 is reasonable. Considering boat ride is about $70 (give or take) so $80 sounds reasonable for DM/Instructor and equipment rental.

Thanks for the advise. I understand $150+ may be the going price in KL, and may be reasonable as the cost structure here is different than the Caribbeans. But we are going to the Caribbeans right after, so I do have to compare. Maybe not a fair comparison, but we happen to have a choice, at the cruise port stops. For $150 x 2, that's more than the cost of us going to a softball tournament, or several meals.

I think it is incredibly awesome that you are doing this for your family, lucky them! :)
I have to keep reminding my wife how incredibly lucky she is.:rofl3: Hmm, I have to keep showing her this post from you.

Since they have done a DSD in past its worth noting that the pool portion of a DSD is valid for one year by PADI standards. If they did the DSD last summer for example you may only need to be paying for having a pro in the water with you during there dive.
It was March of 2008 when they did it. So come this March it will be 2 years.

I know in the Caribbeans, some of the DSD doesn't have pool sessions, especially when it's shore diving. These would be cheaper, and can be done by my kids.

As an in-between alternative, have you thought about finding someone to give them a freediving lesson. It's a step up from snorkeling in terms of what you see and do, and a step down in cost.

I wouldn't be crazy about doing a DSD anywhere with my kids. I would think that freediving in 20-25ft of water would be a blast.
Hmm. Would there really be a need for freediving lesson?

The one problem I'll think is in mid-March, the water will be colder, and we'll be wearing 3mm long wetsuits. It'll make them more buoyant, and not able to go down as deep freediving. Well, they can still probably go down to touch the hands of the Christ statue.

Thanks for all the advise. Much appreciated.

Well, they can still probably go down to touch the hands of the Christ statue.

Thanks for all the advise. Much appreciated.

Beautiful in about 18-20 ft of water, so do get photos. But be careful, touching the Christ of the Abyss statue can be a warm tingly experience. It is covered in fire coral.

You won't find this in the chamber of commerce brochures but diving in Key Largo is challenging. Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. The extra charges defray the insurance costs due to the staggeringly high number or tourist DSD's lost every year (thousands). And the cost of keeping it out of the papers.
Note to myself, buy lots of "wife lost in DSD trip in Key Largo" insurance, then sign her up for DSD.:eyebrow:

Aw shucks. If I show her the post from DebbyDiver about how lucky she is, she'll also see this.:no:

(Not like the locals can actually read, but... many tourists can.)
Did any locals shoot you yet. I heard in the US you can buy guns so easily.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom