How come Discovery scuba is so expensive in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful in about 18-20 ft of water, so do get photos. But be careful, touching the Christ of the Abyss statue can be a warm tingly experience. It is covered in fire coral.

Ah, ok. I saw a photo of 2 divers each holding one hand of the Christ statue. Didn't know there's fire coral. I'll tell my family not to touch.

I have to keep reminding my wife how incredibly lucky she is.:rofl3: Hmm, I have to keep showing her this post from you.
I take PayPal. :rofl3:

Did any locals shoot you yet. I heard in the US you can buy guns so easily.
The only crimes I ever read in the paper when I still had my house in Key Largo were DUI, failure to appear, and outboard motor theft. Just watch out for the lushes after happy hour and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the advise. I understand $150+ may be the going price in KL, and may be reasonable as the cost structure here is different than the Caribbeans. But we are going to the Caribbeans right after, so I do have to compare. Maybe not a fair comparison, but we happen to have a choice, at the cruise port stops.

Does the Caribbean one includes boat ride to dive site?

I'm taking my family to Key Largo in mid-March, before we go on a W. Caribbean cruise in FLL. I'm going to dive, and my wife and 3 kids (2 boys 17 and 15, and girl 12) to snorkel. My 2 boys are good swimmers and had done 2-tank Discovery scuba 1.5 yr ago in Taiwan. They did well (I was with them) and quite enjoyed.

In the Caribbean port stops, I've seen Discovery scuba at $75, and at most $125. I was going to have my 2 boys try the Discovery scuba again, but was shocked to find the rates in Key Largo at $150 or more. Why is the rate in Key Largo so high? Or maybe I didn't check enoug ops.

Unless I can find better rates in Key Largo, we'll wait and have my boys scuba again during Caribbean port stop(s).

As several have pointed out, the cost is not out of line if you do the math. $80 for a two tank boat trip, $40 or about for equipment rental and $100 for an instructor for all day is typical of pricing in Key Largo or the Caribbean.

One other factor that determines pricing is quantity. In Key Largo most DSD's are for one or maybe two people. In the Caribbean DSD's are bread and butter with there typically being 4 divers per instructor. That plus the beach dive vs 2 tank boat trip are the main reasons for the pricing differences.

All good advice. Getting them cert. would be the most cost effective, if you would have done it from the beginning. Add up all money spent for DSD's and you'll be pretty close to a class price.

The reason you see cheaper prices in the Caribbean is because the are not nearly as in depth for their DSD sessions as we are here in Key Largo and other resort area. When you see a price of $75.00 check to see if this is a whole day or half day DSD experience and if for that price are you getting one dive or two and are you going off a nice boat or just off shore. If it is a half day then they are going to take your children more than likely directly into the ocean and give them just a basic orientation to diving before taking the love of your lives underneath the water.
Here you will spend the morning with a instructor in calm water first learning some basic skills and getting acclimated in the water before going on two great Dives.
You can look at it as if you get what you pay for!
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!:)

Thanks to everyone.

Sure it's not a fair comparison to Caribbean intro dives that are 1/2 day and mostly beach dive (some are also boat dives), because the cost structure is lower there. But I'm going to the Caribbeans right after Key Largo, so it is a comparison anyone with a limited budget MUST do.

So please stop telling me I should spend the money to get them certified. I don't have that kind of money and I didn't ask if I should get them certified. I'm NOT spending $150-250/p x 2 to get them do DSD in Key Largo, despite how "reasonable" it is.

As someone also pointed out, DSD price is high in Key Largo compared to some other places in SoFL, where it can be $99. If I had lots of money, sure I'll get them certified, get them golf lessons, hire chauffers for them (or me too). But I don't have unlimited budget.

My sons had done DSD and liked it. It's not the end of world and I'm not a bad parent if I didn't spend $150-250 x 2 to get them to do DSD in Key Largo or more to get them certified.

Last edited:
Hmm. Would there really be a need for freediving lesson?

I would get some sort of instruction for my own kids:
Shallow water blackout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How to Free Dive - wikiHow

They should learn some basic things like how to weight yourself, how to dive with a buddy, and some things you don't want to do in order to avoid trouble.

You probably won't find many (any?) places with a short free dive introduction on the menu of courses. I would call a few places and ask if they have any dive instructors who are also avid freedivers. A person like that would probably be thrilled to work something out with you.

I would get some sort of instruction for my own kids:
Shallow water blackout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How to Free Dive - wikiHow

They should learn some basic things like how to weight yourself, how to dive with a buddy, and some things you don't want to do in order to avoid trouble.

You probably won't find many (any?) places with a short free dive introduction on the menu of courses. I would call a few places and ask if they have any dive instructors who are also avid freedivers. A person like that would probably be thrilled to work something out with you.
Interesting point about shallow water blackout. If my wife and kids snorkel together I'll get my eldest son to pair up with my wife. She's a non-swimmer but is comfortable snorkeling now (after my dragging her for a few years). He's just doing the last course to become a lifeguard. My 14-yr son and 12-yr daughter are good swimmers and will also pair. So at least they'll all be paired up. So each of the 2 boys will each have a "responsibility" - protecting one woman each, hopefully will also keep them (boys) out of trouble.

These are your children. How about putting safety ahead of a couple hundred bucks cost and get them certified? Might save a lung expansion injury.

theskull

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom