How deep can you theoretically go on single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mxracer19:
Why would you want to go to 200 feet on air? You'd be so narced out of your mind that although fun, would you really remember anything that you saw, or would you recognize it when you were seeing it? I would love to do a dive on a b-29, and the whole fun would be to dive down and be like..."wow that is an amazing part of history look at this and look at that". But if I was narced like a sailor on easter...would I enjoy it for the reasons that I went? Or would I just be retarded?(in the literal sence, no harm ment)

-Matt
I was not "narced out". As I said I had done other deep dives and knew the symptoms. I made sure that it was a gradual step, not drastic. As has been said many times in this thread, everyone is different and what might seem reckless or insane to some is just the next step for others. By "coming out of the closet" and posting this dive, I knew that there would be some criticism but I know there are a lot more people on this board that have done 200' and more.
Pushing the limits? Yes. Stupid, as someone said? Perhaps in their eyes. There is calculated risk in many of the things we do. Just make sure you do the calculations first.

mxracer19:
Why would you want to go to 200 feet on air?
Because what I want to see is at 200' and there's no helium on the island.
mxracer19:
You'd be so narced out of your mind that although fun, would you really remember anything that you saw, or would you recognize it when you were seeing it?
At 200' on air I, for one, have a pretty good buzz, but I can remember things quite well, thank you; recognition isn't a problem. A simple dive plan with very tight abort parameters and plenty of extra gas is the key to safety on such a dive.
I do want to be crystal clear about this, though -
I don't recommend such a dive.
In fact, I discourage it...
If you do one you'll surely die, so don't.
Rick

MikeC:
ClevelandDiver, I remember an article back around '94-'96 that involved Mr. Gilliam again where he and a group of other divers, maybe five divers, did a deep air dive to around that depth. The writer of the article, one of the divers, told of trying to slow his descent by grabbing the descent line, actually a cable, and getting fish hooks in his hands. I wish I remember which publication it was.

http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/text/wahwah.txt

Rick Murchison:
At 200' on air I, for one, have a pretty good buzz, but I can remember things quite well, thank you; recognition isn't a problem. A simple dive plan with very tight abort parameters and plenty of extra gas is the key to safety on such a dive.
Rick

LOL....What ditto on what Rick said!

Rick Murchison:
Rick

well said indeed!

I share your passion. I just wouldnt want to see a wreck at 200 feet if thats what I was diving to see. I love the feeling of looking down and seeing the bottom 30 feet away with no boundaries around you and water above you and I love the sence of feeling like I'm flying.

I would just like to go deep because I love all of that gear. Im a gear-a-holic. I love this sport because I love gear. Partly.

I also really like looking at sand. Noone does tha, but theres alot more life in there than most people realize. I just love the bottom of the ocean and its rugged features

-Matt

mxracer19:
I share your passion. I just wouldnt want to see a wreck at 200 feet if thats what I was diving to see. I love the feeling of looking down and seeing the bottom 30 feet away with no boundaries around you and water above you and I love the sence of feeling like I'm flying.

I would just like to go deep because I love all of that gear. Im a gear-a-holic. I love this sport because I love gear. Partly.

I also really like looking at sand. Noone does tha, but theres alot more life in there than most people realize. I just love the bottom of the ocean and its rugged features

-Matt

yup forgot to mention the gear. at 150 feet you have to have complete faith in your equipment, its your only lifeline to the surface. now how about that?

Vie, thanks. I wish I kept that magazine. As a then novice diver that article scared me a bit.

Back
Top Bottom