How deep how soon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biscuit7 said...
I don't know the wheel, it wasn't taught to me in my OW class. If my computer dies, obviously I abort the dive and try and pick up the pieces on the surface but without knowing how to calculate the diving I've already done by hand, the safest thing is to discontinue diving for the rest of the day and start over the next day with hand calculations, it's just not the most fun thing to do (the sitting out, not the hand calculations although the "not as much fun" applies to that as well).

Yesterday I got back from a dive trip where I had exactly the experience you describe.

Ten dives into the trip, my computer died. I tried to turn it on between dives to get data for my log and it locked up during the start-up routine :(.

I plan and log all my dives using the Wheel, so losing the computer was annoying but not a disaster. I knew my pressure group, I wear a separate dive watch and I always carry a separate depth gauge, so I didn't miss a single dive. My buddies have laughed at me for being fully redundant, but on this occasion it paid off. I will admit to feeling smug :wink:.

You can learn how to use the Wheel by doing the Multi-Level Speciality (but talk to the instructor before you sign up, since I think they can also teach this course using a dive computer). Alternatively, it comes with a detailed instruction book with sample problems. If you're comfortable with tables, you shouldn't have too many problems getting your head round the Wheel. It's expensive for what it is, but cheaper than buying a second dive computer.

The other thing I like about the Wheel is that my buddy and I can plan a deep dive in advance and get a feel for where we need to be at certain times.

Hope that helps,

Zept

pish posh...take the DIR-F and drink some Kool-Aid...apparantly they teach us how to use the "mental" wheel in diving....

Though without reading the book, and without talking to anyone, I am getting the feeling it is just an ongoing run-time of average depth.....so checking your bottom timer and depth gauge every 2 or 3 minutes should get you pretty close if you can do 'on the fly' math.

Please note, I'm just speculating at this, literally a stab in the dark, but it's an educated stab.

just to remember:
I'm a PADI diver, and any dive deeper than 18m, is a deep dive.

ZEPT, you are right!!! I always go down with two computers! Redundancy is the key, even in shallow water! Not everybody uses redundancy, they say <why do you need two devices for the same functionality?> .... pretty simple to answer!!!

Good job Zept!

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
pish posh...take the DIR-F and drink some Kool-Aid...apparantly they teach us how to use the "mental" wheel in diving....

Though without reading the book, and without talking to anyone, I am getting the feeling it is just an ongoing run-time of average depth.....so checking your bottom timer and depth gauge every 2 or 3 minutes should get you pretty close if you can do 'on the fly' math.

Please note, I'm just speculating at this, literally a stab in the dark, but it's an educated stab.

I think that, along with some supporting procedures about sums it up.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I think that, along with some supporting procedures about sums it up.

so should I just skip the class and move right to tech or cave 1???

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

so should I just skip the class and move right to tech or cave 1???

I think DIRF is a prereq for all their other courses but figuring deco on the fly isn't the main focus of the class. In fact a few here have posted that their class didn't address it at all.

How deep-how soon?

First question is: What reason are you going deeper that 60ft? Is there something at a particular spot you wish to see that is deeper? Purpose should be the reason. Also, an Advanced class wouldn't hurt you, there, you are exposed to deeper diving with an instructor, you'll have a better idea of what your doing and what your after. How do I answer this is really "have a purpose for the deep dive, other than depth, and, training." Bear in mind the potential to become narced. And narced does happen. Being narced in a training invironment is far safer than being narced and knowing nothing about it. :)

:)

-Dennis

TheDarknessLord once bubbled...

ZEPT, you are right!!! I always go down with two computers! Redundancy is the key, even in shallow water! Not everybody uses redundancy, they say <why do you need two devices for the same functionality?> .... pretty simple to answer!!!

Good job Zept!

sorry for the tangent....but I get a good amount of guff for my redundancy. Yes, I'm just an open water rec diver....but yes, I have two computers, and I bought the wheel, went through the book and taught myself how to use it.

Maybe it's the computer geek in me....but I would just rather have options....I've never been in a situation where I had to many options, and I never want to be in a situation where I don't have any.

Looking at expanding my toolbox of options as well....I bought the DIR-F book, and I"m hoping to take a class if I can work it out with my crazy schedule.

Peace,
Cathie

It's actually dead easy to calculate MLD with the standard PADI tables. Just calculate each level as a seperate dive with a zero length surface interval.

Doing this will be more conservative than using a computer, as it counts all depths as ongassing, rather than using the shallower portions as offgassing for the deeper portions.

As for taking a new buddy deeper than they have previously gone, you don't.

What I will do as a DM is be an experienced (in relative terms) buddy who will accompany a less experience diver while they gradually push their limits. The key to this is in helping them decide what their limits are, and letting them know that they control the dive plan, but either of us can call the dive at any time.

Most divers will take conservative steps when they understand that they are responsible for the dive, and you are just a buddy, rather than you being the one to guide them deep / dark / inside.

Turning up with twins, torches and reels for a planned 'pushing personal depths' dive also seems to have a good impact on making the adventurous diver reconsider how equipped they really are for that 100+ bounce dive :)

Mike

Sorry for this, but I'll ask anyway. I know what narcois is, its signs and the remedy. That being said, if I were to go to say 80 ft and feel a bit narced, I would asced abit to relieve the symptoms, fine. If I go again a week later to 80 ft, should I expect to get narced or is it based on your physical condtion at the time. I guess what I am asking is would 80 ft become my limit?

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Back
Top Bottom