How deep how soon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting narced changes a lot from day to day...if you consistently noticed at 80 feet that yeah, you were narced, then I'd say though would be the level you could always expect it at. But it does change depending on how hard you are breathing, how cold, how deep, how dark...lots of stuff.

As far as if it's your limit or not...that'll start one heck of a debate!! Some will say it's fine, you can go a little beyond that, others will recommend you become a full tech diver before going beyond that. Recommendations may lead to flame wars :)

My honest opinion - don't push it. If you feel you are narced and you know you are narced...don't go much farther. If you are messed up, you are not able to react to problems as well. But it's definitely your own decision to make.

much like omicron said...getting and feeling narced can ber dependent on conditions....

In the bahamas or some tropical reef with virtually unlimited viz and warm water, 80 ft. might feel like nothing at all.

Conversly if you are in a very low viz (less than 10ft....sometimes nothing at all) situation, it is cold (less than 55deg. F), and you've been in the water for about 20 minutes....you might very well feel 'hammered' at 80 feet.

You should not push the limit your body is giving you.

For the most part, if you feel you're getting narced at a certain depth, it isn't going to change much in similar conditions.

There's actually a decent article on possible contributing factors to nitrogen narcosis on the rodale's website homepage.

http://www.scubadiving.com/training/instruction/200211tenways/

I am not pointing this out for the point of the article, which is how to outsmart narcosis, but for the factors contributing to it. The one time I was narced I could check off almost all of them.

Also, just because you get narced at 80' and ascend to 70' where you've been fine before doesn't mean it will wear off. This was my experience and I've been assured that I'm not the only one that has had that. I wasn't right again until I was on the boat. At that point I was totally fine, cleared right up and I haven't had it happen again. I also haven't been that deep again.

Rachel

biscuit7 once bubbled...
I wasn't right again until I was on the boat. At that point I was totally fine,

Sure you don't want to modify that one a bit....I mean you did appear normal to us wackos at the dinner, but then again...we live for coldwater and wetsuits........

Of course I mean as right as I ever was. It all depends on your perspective.

Going diving this weekend? I've the semi-dry all ready to rock n roll :wink:

R

Damnit...stupid family coming in from out of town...wanting to see great-grand-daughter...damn house hunting...the urge to dive is almost driving me insane...

I have set a date for myself that I am diving the weekend of MAY 17...I don't really care where (O.K..I'm not hot on Hidden Valley paradise / France Lake Park)...I think the advanced class is at portage or whitestar that weekend. I want to go to one (or both) of those places and dive dive dive.

The following weekend (Memorial Day) I also want to dive...

I am diving June 13-15 if all else fails.

If you feel like taking the n00b out, let me know. I want a minumum of 20 dives this summer. I still haven't been up to Gilboa....

R

biscuit7 once bubbled...
If you feel like taking the n00b out, let me know. I want a minumum of 20 dives this summer. I still haven't been up to Gilboa....

R

No offense, but I am not going to gilboa on a weekend...unless it is with the advanced class (it just runs smoother with more qualified people to help the students "dance" around the gruff on the docks)....just way way too much crap going on...I'm contemplating the idea of blowing off work on a weekday in June or July to head up there in the middle of the week.

I'll certainly dive with you, but you'd have to accept the fact that Brian (my old roomate) almost always dives with me, and my brother almost always makes the trek to dive as well. BTW...word of warning...if you're buddied with Brian and can't find him...he is 3 feet above you're right shoulder and 4 feet behind you.

I'll give out more details as I discuss further what the plans are.

biscuit7 once bubbled...

R

Come on up to Wisconsin - I think I made around 70-80 dives last summer and I didn't start diving much until early June :)

I'm off this weekend to go dive at our favorite water hole!

I spent 65min on yesterdays dive max 8.7m
lots of squid ,octipus fish and nudibranchs
what did the guys see on their deep dives
5min on the bottem.
Howard

Back
Top Bottom