How do basic/novice/inexperienced divers define "What is Advanced Diving?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Advanced diving... I'm sure I've seen this thread here before. I've been certified for about a year and a half now and I still have less than 25 dives, unfortunately. Next year I'll probably get that many in a single week but so far that's what I have. I have been in cold, dark conditions, I've been in "infinite" visibility with warm water, I've done drifts and been in mild currents. I was comfortable with all of them. I've been deeper than my "recommended" depth and I was comfortable with that. I've done night dives, boat dives, and shore dives and been comfortable with them all. I've dealt with a blown wing underwater, dead lights, minor free-flows, and blown o-rings at the surface (but in the water). I was comfortable with all of that.

Combinations of these things would require more experience, I think, but aren't even what I consider advanced. It's still basic diving- strap on a tank, grab some lead and get in the water, without the need for significant planning (though planning is good and appropriate). When conditions start to "multiply" the "difficulty factors" such as current at night or heavy currents in a new place, I would consider that something I should take carefully but does not require further training (other than experience). Even depths down to rec "limits" I wouldn't really stress over but I would take them slowly. I've been to 75 or so and would certainly go deeper without worrying about it much but I can't really get much bottom time out of that at this stage so I don't see the point. If there was a wreck or something that I knew the bottom wasn't deeper than 120-130' I wouldn't worry about it. I know the symptoms of narcosis and I tend to be very conservative about my own body's reactions to things so I'd dive it and make sure my buddy and I planned accordingly and do the dive.

Depths that require deco or mixed gas would be considered advanced. Cave diving or wreck penetrations I would consider advanced. Basically anything that isn't "recreational-- free to surface without obstacle" diving that can be done easily and safely on compressed air (without mixes) I would generally consider advanced.

If I can do it on regular air and I'm not in an overhead environment, it might take more experience to be comfortable but that's not really "advanced", it's just more experienced.

I did not consider myself advanced until the ocean kicked by butt a few times and I learned to work my way calmly though the problems.

For me, it was not training or depth related. It was some tough surf entry, getting caught in some nasty rip currents and ending up on a different beach a 1/2 mile down. My pride was bruised crawling out of the surf on my hands and knees, my muscles ached hauling the gear and I realized I could have been pulled out to sea. I had learned not only how to work my way out of the problem but also developed a much keener sense of judgement on how to prevent a repeat.

I consider 'basic' to mean the ability to plan your dive and dive you plan. It doesn't matter if that's on a 60' tropical reef or 280' on wreck in ice-cold water.

'Advanced', to me, means other things...beyond having the right 'tools for the job'... stuff like arranging the logistics for remote diving, teaching skills, problem-solving novel issues, adaptation to new environments, flexibility in approach, the support of diving activities, administration and organisational skills.

To me, an advanced diver is one who can be still in a specific column maintaining trim and the ability to position himself without conducting an underwater orchestra. Me? I'm getting there.

Does that mean a diver can consider themselves 'advanced' if they aren't a flailing, whirling dervish that churns the bottom like a rototiller?

Are our expectations as a diving community really so low?

halemanō;6136073:
So freewillie, you think your pretty close?

I would say I'm there! :D

After AOW course now have been to 100 ft, refined buoyancy, more experience with navigation and a compass underwater, and did my first night dive.I can hold my position during safety stop without having to hold the line or hang bar, may vary just few feet. Most of my dives are cold water shore dives. Full exposure gear 7 mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, booties. Shore conditions have ranged from 1-2 waves and viz in 20+ range to big waves 4-6 feet and poor viz <5 range (we called that dive very quickly!). After that, diving off a boat is a breeze! Even better in warm tropics with just rash guard! :wink:

That being said, always room for improvement. Just need to keep diving!

I don't think those are low expectations, seems to be a reasonable indication of "advanced" since I interpret the term advanced as the next progression beyond novice.

I think advanced is along way from expert or technical though.

haleman&#333;;6135997:
OK you basic scuba divers; looking into your future, what do you think would earn you the title "advanced diver?"

So, please answer the question in the proper forum; the question is slightly different in each different forum; this question is for those who have not got there yet (100+ dives ).
Per instructions I am not posting an answer here - will do that in aother forum. But, thanks for starting this thread and thanks to the newer divers who have already responded. It is helpful to me, as an instructor, to continue to gain insight into what newer divers think is 'basic' and what is 'advanced'. I hope the responses keep coming.

Does that mean a diver can consider themselves 'advanced' if they aren't a flailing, whirling dervish that churns the bottom like a rototiller?

Are our expectations as a diving community really so low?

According to your definition, it could also mean someone sitting quietly on the bottom after the "dust" settles. By that definition, then the expectations is low. However, if you include being able to stay still in any given column while maintaining trim, and the ability to position anywhere without flailing around, then no. I have dove with guys with 5000+ dives who still cannot do those.

I think there is a big difference between being advanced and being fully competent at the type of diving you do.

I consider PADI OW and AOW, CMAS 1* and 2* and BSAC Ocean/Sport Diver type grade recreational diving is just 'normal' diving and you can become fully competant at that but that does not qualify you to be called advanced. To me advanced is taking on more difficult or technical aspects of diving, for example NITROX or penetration diving in caves or wrecks, not simply becoming fully cometant at diving air to recreatioal limits.

I am currently CMAS 2 star, so according to PADI crossover guidelines equivalent to PADI rescue diver and entitled to sign up for the DM course, but although I feel completely comfortable diving air to 40m, calculating air requirements and no deco limits, or planning deco dives, I DO NOT consider myself in any way an advanced diver.

To me advanced relates to the type of diving you do, rather than your competence as a diver. But I'm sure as many people as agree will disagree with my view - P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom