How do basic/novice/inexperienced divers define "What is Advanced Diving?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Coliam7, for a couple things. Your partial quote of the Op points out that for those with "smiles" turned off, the parentheses looks wrong.

(100+ dives : no : - a smile with wagging finger "no" meaning if you have over 100 dives you should not be answering the question of this thread)

Last edited:
To me an advanced diver knows that they have not seen it all but is able to stop step back and address a situation that occurs and then make sure that they and their buddy return from the dive safely. They also must treat every dive with respect because even a pool dive can kill you if you don't

I have been diving since march 2010 I have OW, AOW, rescue, dry suit and a few other cards. I am a member of my fire dept public safety dive team. I have about 200 dives currently and dive almost every week at least one tank in the ocean, however I do not consider myself an advanced diver. I am not a beginner diver but I have not seen every situation that can occur out there so I do not consider myself advanced. I think that when I get to the point that I feel like I am invincible and have seen and done it all that it will be time to sell my gear.

I think that A diver can be a Tech Diver and still not consider them self an advanced diver. Other divers may consider them an advanced diver but to me not considering yourself an advanced diver is part of the definition that makes you advanced.

I am sure that all does not make sense but it is part of the respect that I hope I always will have for the ocean, and it is what I hope will allow me to have fun diving but yet stay alive doing it.

Aloha Herb-alaska!

I am on the fence about your participation in this thread, but as this is just your 4th post, having only joined ScubaBoard this Sept, I still welcome your participation in my quest for understanding.

Please do not feel I am personally attacking you in the next post; I truly hope to hear more from you in the future.
:D

Last edited:
sambolina44 - 200-499 dives (Scubaboard Contributor, joined Scubaboard Sept '06)

Certification History:
SSI Drysuit, NAUI Nitrox, NAUI Deep Diver
Certification Level:
NAUI Advanced

----------------------------------------------------------------------

spectrum - 500-999 dives (SB Staff, joined June '04)

Certification Agencies:
OW-PDIC, AOW-NAUI, Rescue Diver-NAUI Nitrox-PADI, Ice Diver-PADI, Master Diver-SSI

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Garrobo - 200-499 dives (SB Addict, joined Nov '06)

Certification Agencies:
OW (SDI) AOW (PADI)
Certification Level:
AOW PADI

nimoh - 50-99 dives (joined Sept '09)

Certification History:
PADI Master Scuba Diver
PADI OW/AOW/Rescue
PADI specialties: deep, dry suit, nitrox, ice and peak performance buoyancy

GrumpyOldGuy - 200-499 dives (SB Defender!, joined May '07)

Certification History:NASDS, PADI, TDI. Not really into collecting badges, just like to dive as much as possible.

DevonDiver - 2,500-4,999 dives (SB Staff, joined Aug '07)

Certification History:
PADI MSDT (24 specialities)
BSAC National Qualified Instructor (OWI)
Emergency First Response Instructor
EANx Instructor
SSI Advanced Open Water Instructor
DSAT Tec Deep Instructor
DSAT Trimix Blender Instructor
Certification Level:
Tec Diver Instructor & Trimix Blender Instructor

randytay - I'm a Fish (DIR Practitioner, joined Aug '10)

Certification History:
NAUI Scuba Diver
NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver
NAUI Nitrox Diver
NAUI Advanced Scuba Rescue Diver
UTD Essentials
PADI Divemaster
Certification Level:
Divemaster

Herb-alaska - 100-199 dives (joined Sept '11)

Certification History:
OW Certified in 3/10, drysuit 3/10, AOW 2/11, rescue 2/11, O2 provider 2/11,Certification Level:Rescue

I am especially disappointed by DevonDiver's participation in this thread. Prior to posting in this thread he asked where he should post, and his question was answered.

To the rest of you; you are not the divers the OP posed the question to!

Unless your intention is to not participate and just mess up other participation, the thread for you to respond to is explained pretty well in the first paragraph of the OP ...

halemanō;6135997:
OK, there are three pieces to this posting; this thread here in Basic Scuba Discussions (for divers who don't feel they are advanced divers), a thread in Advanced Scuba Discussions (for divers who do feel they are advanced divers) and a thread in Technical Diving Specialties (for divers who make technical dives).

Last edited:
I would say I'm there! :D

After AOW course now have been to 100 ft, refined buoyancy, more experience with navigation and a compass underwater, and did my first night dive.I can hold my position during safety stop without having to hold the line or hang bar, may vary just few feet. Most of my dives are cold water shore dives. Full exposure gear 7 mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, booties. Shore conditions have ranged from 1-2 waves and viz in 20+ range to big waves 4-6 feet and poor viz <5 range (we called that dive very quickly!). After that, diving off a boat is a breeze! Even better in warm tropics with just rash guard! :wink:

That being said, always room for improvement. Just need to keep diving!

Well freewillie, not to be too picky but if you do think you are an advanced diver, you posted in the wrong thread.

:idk:

haleman&#333;;6135997:
OK, there are three pieces to this posting; this thread here in Basic Scuba Discussions (for divers who don't feel they are advanced divers), a thread in Advanced Scuba Discussions (for divers who do feel they are advanced divers) and a thread in Technical Diving Specialties (for divers who make technical dives).

Last edited:
haleman&#333;;6136545:
sambolina44 - 200-499 dives (Scubaboard Contributor, joined Scubaboard Sept '06)

Certification History:SSI Drysuit, NAUI Nitrox, NAUI Deep DiverCertification Level:NAUI Advanced

----------------------------------------------------------------------

spectrum - 500-999 dives (SB Staff, joined June '04)

Certification Agencies:OW-PDIC, AOW-NAUI, Rescue Diver-NAUI Nitrox-PADI, Ice Diver-PADI, Master Diver-SSI

Garrobo - 200-499 dives (SB Addict, joined Nov '06)

Certification Agencies:OW (SDI) AOW (PADI)Certification Level:AOW PADI

nimoh - 50-99 dives (joined Sept '09)

Certification History:pADI Master Scuba Diver
PADI OW/AOW/Rescue
PADI specialties: deep, dry suit, nitrox, ice and peak performance buoyancy

GrumpyOldGuy - 200-499 dives (SB Defender!, joined May '07)

Certification History:NASDS, PADI, TDI. Not really into collecting badges, just like to dive as much as possible.

DevonDiver - 2,500-4,999 dives (SB Staff, joined Aug '07)

Certification History:pADI MSDT (24 specialities)
BSAC National Qualified Instructor (OWI)
Emergency First Response Instructor
EANx Instructor
SSI Advanced Open Water Instructor
DSAT Tec Deep Instructor
DSAT Trimix Blender InstructorCertification Level:Tec Diver Instructor & Trimix Blender Instructor

Certification History:NAUI Scuba Diver
NAUI Nitrox Diver
UTD Essentials
PADI DivemasterCertification Level:Divemaster

Herb-alaska - 100-199 dives (joined Sept '11)

Certification History:OW Certified in 3/10, drysuit 3/10, AOW 2/11, rescue 2/11, O2 provider 2/11,Certification Level:Rescue

I am especially disappointed by DevonDiver's participation in this thread. Prior to posting in this thread he asked where he should post, and his question was answered.

To the rest of you; you are not the divers the OP posed the question to!

Unless your intention is to not participate and just mess up other participation, the thread for you to respond to is explained pretty well in the first paragraph of the OP ...

I am in the right thread. You are soliciting answers from those "divers who don't feel they are advanced divers" and I have explicitly defined my opinion of what an advanced diver should be and I have also explicitly admitted that I am "getting there", which concur with YOUR definition of who should be posting here. On the one hand, you are asking us to define what is an advanced diver but on the other hand you wanted to classify us according to YOUR definition?

So far, 14 posters have responded to this thread, but only 4 do not consider themselves to be advanced divers.

This thread is for divers who don't consider themselves advanced divers! :shakehead:

(Colliam7 excepted!)
:D

I am in the right thread. You are soliciting answers from those "divers who don't feel they are advanced divers" and I have explicitly defined my opinion of what an advanced diver should be and I have also explicitly admitted that I am "getting there", which concur with YOUR definition of who should be posting here. On the one hand, you are asking us to define what is an advanced diver but on the other hand you wanted to classify us according to YOUR definition?

No! :no:

you are not in the right thread!

Certification History:
NAUI Scuba Diver
NAUI Nitrox Diver
UTD Essentials
PADI Divemaster
Certification Level:
Divemaster

------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a secondary instruction in the OP ...

haleman&#333;;6135997:
So, please answer the question in the proper forum; the question is slightly different in each different forum; this question is for those who have not got there yet (100+ dives :no:).

Which I further explained here ...

haleman&#333;;6136515:
Thanks Coliam7, for a couple things. Your partial quote of the Op points out that for those with "smiles" turned off, the parentheses looks wrong.

(100+ dives : no : - a smile with wagging finger "no" meaning if you have over 100 dives you should not be answering the question of this thread)

A diver with your certs and dive history should be answering the questions in the Advanced Diving Discussions thread. There you could easily think back to when you thought you were an advanced diver, and then explain why "now" you don't consider yourself to be an advanced diver.

Are you saying we could not find "old" posts by you where you considered yourself an advanced diver?

OP let me say quickly that I think that you are making this more difficult than it should be so much so that i have lost interest and am moving on to something else.

Simply put when a diver considers them self an advanced diver and takes the attitude that A dive is a piece of cake and I no longer have to give this dive the respect that it deserves because I am an advanced diver then in my book they have become dangerous and I would prefer not to dive with you until my fire hall gets a call to do your body recovery. I think we saw this in a well followed accident in Mexico this year.

haleman&#333;;6136565:

Are you saying we could not find "old" posts by you where you considered yourself an advanced diver?

I am pretty sure you would not :D

You can probably find posts of me giving some advice, some asking for advice, and some debating. But none where I considered myself advanced. Experienced maybe, in the type of diving I do. Advanced, no.

Back
Top Bottom