How do I control my bouyancy and trim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK here goes another bouyance question

What skills will help me better learn how to better control my bouyancy with my breaths?

I practice fin pivots and hovering. If I work at it for a few min I can keep it under control but not like the DM's or Instructors I've been around. My bro-inlaw can glide an inch from the botom and can adjust for varius contures like he has an invisable force holding him just above the bottom. Me I have to work at it and take a bit of effort. One breath too long or too short then I'm either deeper or shalower than what I intended to be on or I end up using my arms to help maintain position.

Is this something that just comes with experiance or are there things I can do to pratice to get better at it?

i guess ide just have to say the more that you practise the better and easer it will be . since i havent done mutch diving all winter only 5 or 6 dives i am courious as to how it will be fer me in june when i start back diving agin .
AOW cert then onto SAR and who knows from there ?

Mostly it comes with experience diving. It sounds like you know what to do. Make sure you are starting out properly weighted and then just control your breathing depth. Sometimes just a little extra in or out is all it takes. Also keep in mind that you need to give your self some lead time to accomplish a minor depth adjustment. Just keep diving and working on honing your abilities.

There are some tricks you can use also.

If you are moving, you can get some change by changing how you hold your body. A bit of back arch will tend to make you rise.

Remember, you are doing a balancing act between bouyancy and the dynamic forces of the water on your body and equipment. When making small changes, the dynamic forces act more quickly and allow you to make a quick small adjustment. If you find yourself holding in some adjustment then make a small bouyancy change.

Air Force pilots say, "There is no substitute for air under your but." For divers it is, "There is no substitute for water over your head."

Keep practicing, and watch and see if you can spot subtle moves by those people whose control impresses you. If you can't figure out how they are doing it, ask them.

One thing to remember when using your inhales and exhales to
control your bouyancy. Remember that it'll take a little bit to get
your mass moving. It takes practice to get the timing down, but
as long as you start your inhale early when trying to go over
something, and start your exhale before you finish passing, you'll
start to figure it out.

I still have humorous memories of the guy in my OW class that
was trying to get neutrally bouyant w/ his BC. He filled until he
started rising, then dumped until he stopped rising. He basically
spent 5 minutes just going up and down until one of the divemasters came over and grabbed his infator and did it for
him :)
-Jeff

Geek,

The fact that you’re willing to experiment and practice this will put you way ahead of the typical learning curve, congratulations!

First off, think of fin pivots as a skill done with training wheels. If you can do fin pivots, your trim in the water is all wrong: you’re heads up/feet down. This both makes it difficult to maintain neutral buoyancy when you stop and start swimming and causes you to consume more gas.

The reason why this is the case is if you’re trimmed head up/feet down (typical trim for a recreational diver), the moment you start swimming some of your thrust is going down, so you start up. In order to “swim neutral” you have to let some gas out of your BC to become “heavy” to counteract the downward thrust of your fins. This means that some of your energy is spend swimming up all the time, increasing your gas consumption. Now when you stop swimming you’re negative because you’ve let gas out of your BC, so now you have to add some back in to get neutral.

The constant start swimming, dump gas, stop swimming and add gas is quite common among recreational divers.

You can adjust to some extent by altering your body position, but then you’re just substituting hydrodynamic forces and drag for the wrong swimming vector. Your gas consumption loses in either case.

So, the reason I say fin pivots is a skill done with training wheels is that if you’re correctly trimmed, you’re horizontal. If you’re horizontal, you can’t do a pivot, you rise horizontally, your entire body coming off the bottom as a unit.

There are a number of ways to accomplish this, the quickest fix is to take some of your weight and move it high on the cylinder. You want to move some significant weight up there, not just using the “trim pockets” that some BCs sport. To take some numbers out of the air, if you wear 16 pounds of lead, move 8 to the shoulder of the cylinder. Sometimes you can accomplish this by putting the weight on the top cam strap that holds the cylinder onto the BC. Now jump in and play around a bit. If need be add or subtract from your original guess until without swimming or moving, you’re horizontal. The weight required may vary as your cylinder empties, so the weight you end up with will be a compromise.

Now you can start playing with your breath control. Go to the bank and buy a roll of pennies, open it up and throw it in the pool. Now swim around and after positioning yourself over a penny, just use your breath to drop down and pick it up without touching the bottom. As you get better, reach out for it less and less so your body ends up very close to the bottom, but not touching it. Try this in the shallow end of the pool too. The shallower, the more difficult the exercise.

As funky__monks mentions there’s a LOT of hysteresis when you’re in the water. Another part of learning trim and breath control is to allow the dive to come to you. Never rush any activity, but instead anticipate your needs. It’ll take some time for you to start dropping after an exhale and even more time to arrest the descent and start back up on the inhale. Standby, here’s the Zen-sounding part! The whole trick is to be ahead of your diving, to anticipate what you need to do. You heard that you should “move slowly” in OW class, but those are probably just words to you at the moment, you really have to learn to take it easy and learn patience. I’ve been on many a dive where I’ve had divers zipping around me like a puppy dog on a leash, and they burned up all their gas in no time and saw less than I did.

So, what you need to work on:

Proper trim
Anticipate your next move
Be patient with the hysteresis
Look around and enjoy what’s around while you’re moving slowly and deliberately.

Roak

Roak,
Excellent point about the fin-pivot. It brings back OW class
memories where I kept failing the fin-pivot exercise because
I kept wanting to levitate and I didn't keep my fin tips on the
bottom of the pool :)

-Jeff

You ought to frame that response... it was your best ever! Good input backed by great insight!

Originally posted by NetDoc
You ought to frame that response... it was your best ever! Good input backed by great insight!
Shoot, I know.... he didn't leave anything for me to say....

Lessee... hmmmm... :rolleyes:

Ok... got one....

Hey Geek... do dive dry or wet?

(alright... it isn't much but I gotta try)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom