How do I pick complete package?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought all new gear at the end of last year. If you decide to buy online. I can tell you that I had a good experience with every company I dealt with including, DGX, Divers Supply, Sub-Gravity, Deep6, Mako Spearguns, and especially Scuba dot com who replaced a wetsuit that UPS lost at no charge to me.

Since you linked to Divers Supply, I'll mention that my son and I both ordered their Scuba Gear Value System Package and with chose 2 upgrade options (on the page): upgraded the regulator to the Covert balanced regulator, and also opted for the 3 gauge console (adds a compass). We've got well over 100 dives on these packages and have been very pleased.
I also bought Diver's Supply packages for my family when we started diving and did exactly the same thing -- upgraded to the Covert diaphragm regulator. Worked fine. I did finally have to replace the inflator on one of the BCs, but that is probably maintenance that should be done once in a while anyway. I have serviced the regulators both via mail to Diver's Supply and found local people willing to work on them. I now have multiple Covert regulators that we use with doubles. (I also have an old secondhand Conshelf that works fine.)

And, of course, I now have a backplate and wing. So there you go. For standard single tank diving, I think a standard jacket BC sometimes does have some advantages -- integrated weights, pockets, etc.

However, as some have suggested, another idea is to just rent regs and BCs until you know what you like. Honestly, if I am only diving one day on vacation, it's worth renting and not having to lug everything with me and then worry about rinsing and drying it.

You can easily overthink it. Find quality items in your size and dive,

I spent quite a bit of time talking with dive shops and trying on different kit before I was comfortable with a plan to purchase my dive equipment.

Because of the varied advice and equipment fit, there was actually no one package, so I purchased separate components and I’m very happy with it.

You may find a package, but my advice is talk to your local dive shop or where you intend to dive, try stuff on and finally read some reviews of the kit you intend to buy.

HTH

The Sea Elite regs are the Divers Supply house brand. Same as the Edge and HOG regs they sell. The Scout is an unbalanced piston that is fine for the pool and shallow OW dives. The shop I work with has several of them. Super easy to service first stage and the seconds are ok. The biggest issue with them is finding someone to service them other than Divers Supply.
The Covert is the same as the HOG D1. Different cosmetics.
The Scout BC is the same as the Element. Just different cosmetics.
No shop will sell junk. They can't afford to from a liability standpoint.
That said, they are a business and local shops will often be looking out for their bottom line as much as your needs.
Packages. Sometimes a good value. Other times, no so much.
Do not get confused by crap like "advanced package" or "rescue diver" package. It's all smoke and mirrors to justify higher markups for gear that is functionally no different. I have an entire chapter on gear selection and the gimmicks, as well as pricing strategies shops use in my first book. SCUBA: A Practical Guide for the New Diver that you can find on Amazon.
There are other things you should know about accessories and useful items. Markups on these types of things can be as much as 500% of cost to the shop. That $50 snorkel they are trying to sell you costs them around 12 bucks.

One of the gents I dive with swears by Dive Rite for BP/W over DGX. For the extra coin, is Dive Rite significantly 'better'?
No, not for a single tank BPW. You probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. Did he say WHY it’s better? Or “just trust me bro.” You’re going to pay over $260 more for the Diverite package (adding cam bands and weight pockets) than you would for the DGX package (also adding weight pockets, it comes with cam bands) but you get 5lbs less lift with the Diverite. Unless you want to upgrade the wing for more money…

The DGX wing is better. The Dive Rite plate has a nicer finish. The open center DR wing allows you to sneak your SPG hose through neatly. But a slim wing like the DGX doesnt need such.

Dive Rite is another company walking the walk.

Hello,
More often than not "packages" usually have some name brand / higher end item and then the rest of the package is lower performance or private label stuff. If it is all the same brand and stuff you want or meets your needs that would be great. Simply compare pricing on individual versus package pricing. Usually not much if any difference. It is like going to a restaurant. It ismuch easier to say I will have the "special" instead of ordering individually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom