How do you bag your BP/w Dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure that everybody is dismanteling the BP/w everytime they go to a diveplace. My reading is that most do it when going for air travel.

Regarding the packing of my box/container: it is packed in the reverse order of putting the gear on (i.e. hood and gloves in the bottom, suit in the middle, regs on top); in that same logic putting the fins at the bottom, would make sense, as would be to put the BP/w on the top, to be close to the regs.

For the car I have an plastic insert with 7cm borders which is put on the floor. So any water that would drop out of the BP/w or from the wet tank is catched there.

I realized that there are a lot of metal parts and one of them in the wrong position could cut a hose!

Never happen in a million years... unless you took a file out and sharpened the edges of your backplate to razor-sharp.

LanceRiley, I think you're too worried about the hoses. The only thing I really worry about is the wing.

If you want to keep water out of the car, put a tarp or rubber mat down in the trunk. It works quite well.

If we are boat diving, we put the gear in a mesh bag, with the backplate toward the outside of the bag. For local shore diving, we use Stanley tool trunks (the small ones) which contain all the water, roll, and will hold a person's worth of gear and exposure protection. Again, the backplate goes in pointing down. In your case, I'd put fins in, then reg, then backplate with STA up, and then wetsuit, booties and hood sitting on top of the STA.

If you can't fit in a Stanley trunk, or can't find them, Rubbermaid makes large tubs that will do the same kind of thing.

TsandM,

I'll try to look at the Stanley tool trunks.

Ok i'll try fins first.. regs, BPW, booties.

Can you give me the specs of the Stanley tool trunks? or the Rubbermaid?

our hardware here isn't that well equiped.. we use the cheap plastic clothes containers.. they don't even last a year. mine's already broken in a lot of areas.

start with flimsy soft duffle bag - insert fins - insert drysuit and undergarment - insert wing - insert plate - stuff clothing around gear

put regs, can light, shearwaters in backpack with passport, book and laptop

Usually end up with ~35lbs in the checked bag and a backpack that fits easily under the seat in front of me. Add hardsided case for rebreather if not diving open circuit.

At home I use a big plastic container. Then when I get home its the gear bath for washing gear.
I put a shower curtain on any area of the car which may catch some salt water, including seats if I am going to be driving unrinsed divers from the dive site back to the shop. Always have a few shower curtains in the car for such occasions.

Actually, I usually put the backplate, along with some gear still clipped to it, separatly in the car. Its easier to carry that weight on my back, and makes the plastic box easier to carry (I'm a weak older woman).

For trips, I take a few items on carryon (usually not the back plate) and pack the rest. I bring a mesh bag to pack in for the trip destination.

The reason that you bring clothes on a dive vacation is to act as packing materials for your dive gear! No worry if the gear is damp coming home, your clothes are going to the laundry when you get home anyhow! Actually, if I think that I will need to bring hope damp stuff, I bring a few big plastic garbage bags, mostly to protect the suitcase.

one thing... during trips.. i put my b/p in cloths... 1 or 2 tee shirt. enough for some kind of protection
on way home.. if the gears are not dry. i use a tower to wrap around it to not let thigns drip . else if it dry.. same.. tee shirt method...

I use "Shower Pan Liner" from Home D to line and protect the back of my Outback when I go diving. It has so far held up to ~2 years of diving with doubles, heavy gear crates etc.

Over here you can buy it by the foot, and I believe it can be glued, so you could make a "trunk liner" with folded up and glued corners, which would then hold water and keep the trunk carpeting from getting wet.

I clean my gear (who am I kidding) and then reassemble my kit so all I have to do is hump it down to the truck and go diving. It never sits for more than a weekend so I don't really see the need to disassemble it and store individual parts.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom