How do you feel about solo diving?

How do you feel about solo diving?

• Never done it, never want to.

Votes: 57 19.1%
  • Haven't done it, but thought about it.

Votes: 81 27.2%
  • I've done it, but prolly never again.

Votes: 25 8.4%
  • I do it all the time!

Votes: 135 45.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa once bubbled...
We are heading to Friedman's tomorrow, then maybe Morgan. I think Falmouth on Sunday, depending on viz. Are you taking a class?

You are aware that we drown Atlanta Republicans as often as possible, then drag them to Open Water so not to make cave diving seem more dangerous, eh?

You drown Republicans!?!?! LOL!! I better watch out! Wel, atleast I know now how Janet Reno was even able to get her name on the Democrat Primary down there! You guys drowned everyone who had dommon sense! :D :wink:

Yeah, I am taking a class with Larry on Sunday and Monday. I am going to dive Ginnie for fun tomorrow, and then I am pretty sure that is where we are going to end up on Monday. I think we will be at Peacock on Sunday.

We only drown Bush family members, I was kidding about the Atlanta bit. What class?

Divesherpa once bubbled...
We only drown Bush family members, I was kidding about the Atlanta bit. What class?

LOL!!!! I PM'ed you.....

AaronBBrown wrote...

I heard about that accident. What happened? Which site was he at? Every time I hear a story, it is different.

Actually, it's funny you should say that, as I've heard several different versions of the story myself. Jimmy was actually my mother's cousin, but our entire family is very close.

Jimmy was lobster diving with three other people off of his/my family's property in Rockport. The seas were kind of rough, and one of the group was having trouble with trim/buoyancy. All four of them surfaced after about 20 minutes or so, and three of them got out.

At this point, Jimmy observed he still had 15-20 minutes of air left, and told the group he was going to head down for "just a couple more minutes" to grab some lobsters for dinner.

After 20 minutes, his wife started to get worried. However, she didn't call the CG right away. She had recently done that on another occasion and he had gotten pretty angry about it. So she waited for another 15 minutes or so and then called Jimmy's father and the Coast Guard.

Jimmy's father called my uncle and cousin, who were working on a house in Gloucester, and asked them to go try to find him. They showed up at the house and put on some wetsuits and snorkeling gear and jumped in the rough surf. At this point Jimmy had been missing for over an hour.

My uncle told my cousin prepare himself, as Jimmy had been under for too long to survive. My poor cousin found him after about a half-hour of searching. He was face down, close to the rocks, in about 15 ft of water, with his BC and tank floating loosely above his back. His mask was filled with blood. He had no air in his tank. His weight belt was still on, and he was missing a flipper and a glove.

The whole scene was pretty gruesome. There were boats everywhere, and a couple of helicopters. The media took footage of my uncle and cousin in the water, helping to pull him up onto the Harbormaster's boat, and showed it on the news. Pretty gross. The cause of death was listed as "drowning", and an autopsy failed to show any other cause of death.

Something happened to him down there (OOA, got stuck, who knows) and he was helpless to get out. And at a location where he had grown up swimming, snorkeling, and diving.

Another uncle of mine and my brother were doing some landscape work at the house when the group showed up to dive. My uncle actually said to him "Man, it's kind of rough out there today, don't you think you should reconsider?".

In hindsight, I feel there were several rules broken, including the abstract karma rule of "if it doesn't feel right, don't do it". Solo diving is one of the others.

Just goes to show that it happens when you're least expecting it. Maybe that's why it happens...

Matt

Photography has been named as a solo activity. My wife and I do alot of photo dives. We take turns piloting the cammera and it works very well. We have someone to model, help with lighting and spot subjects. A cammera is one of those thing that, IMO, most divers shouldn't have. You just can't dive and shoot before you can dive. I have seen alot of damage to the environment and unsafe practices in the name of getting a picture.

Bad buddies on charter boats? I have a video of your average bunch of recreational divers an a charter in the tropics. I show this film to all of my student because it contains examples of everything divers should not do. In the entire group it is clear that there is not even one buddy team. To suggest that any one of these divers going all the way solo is a solution is madness.

If a diver thinks they are good enough and excepts the risk it is their choice. I do types of diving that some believe to be too risky but much of the pro solo argument presents it as a solution for a problem that is caused by a lack of skill. How can this make sense?

I would submit that two good divers who never met could plan and execute a dive together with total success. The bad buddy on charter boat argument only proves how many shouldn't be diving without good supervision, if at all.

IMO, there is only one valid argument for solo diving and that is "I want to dive alone". At least here all the laim excused and bs are out of the picture.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I would submit that two good divers who never met could plan and execute a dive together with total success. The bad buddy on charter boat argument only proves how many shouldn't be diving without good supervision, if at all.

I agree totally with this. Any two people placed together can form a good buddy team, if they are willing to do it. It simply takes planning and a little discussion before the dive.

MikeFerrara wrote...

Bad buddies on charter boats?

It's certainly possible, but what happens when you board a charter heading to familiar waters and find no suitable dive buddies aboard? Dive with someone you consider hazardous? Ask for a refund? Form a three-man team? Or accept the risks and dive the sites you're comfortable with?

metridium once bubbled...
It's certainly possible, but what happens when you board a charter heading to familiar waters and find no suitable dive buddies aboard? Dive with someone you consider hazardous? Ask for a refund? Form a three-man team? Or accept the risks and dive the sites you're comfortable with?

In the short term, I guess you must do what you are comfortable with. Personally, I dont get into situations like that. I prefer to do that part of the planning early on when I am choosing destinations and charter. Lets face it, it is the choices we make that put us in the situations we get in. Someone did not do it to us we did it to ourselves. IMO, choosing a buddy for the dive comes before getting on the boat. I try not to leave major parts of my dive plan to the luck of the draw.

The situation you bring up is a good argument to make major changes in the industry in everything from training to the way diveboats are run. IMO, it is not a justification to send divers off alone. IMO, a boat full of divers who are not good enough to dive with is an accident waiting to happen and I don't want to be on the boat. I certainly will not pay to be there. Check out the DAN report.

Training won't improve until divers demand it. The fact is most don't care as long as they are allowed to see the reef. I say, only the ones who are well enough trained should be allowed to go. The argument you present tells me there are not only divers who shouldn't be their but so many that the boat should not even leave port.

Even if we agree to agree that a diver has the right to dive alone if they choose, I will never accept it as a solution to problem that should not exist in the first place.

Last week while teaching in the quarrie I followed divers on several occasions who I thought were about to get into real trouble. I was at work and as long as I could do it without endangering my students I would (and have in the past) helped one of these idiots. Why on earth would I surround myself with them on vacation. I simply cannot enjoy a dive with a bunch of potential accidents around me.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Last week while teaching in the quarrie I followed divers on several occasions who I thought were about to get into real trouble. I was at work and as long as I could do it without endangering my students I would (and have in the past) helped one of these idiots. Why on earth would I surround myself with them on vacation. I simply cannot enjoy a dive with a bunch of potential accidents around me.

Mike,

Unless you fill the whole charter with those you have hand picked, you are still going to see some don't you think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom