How do you get across ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
Sounds like you're in need of a new buddy.
:popcorn:

After watching the movie OPEN WATER--aside from all the really stupid things the divers and diver operation did:no --I would say most understand the importance of SEVERAL communication devices/signals for topside. At a minimum:

whistle, (or air horn)
mirror/reflective device
safety "sausage" with reflective tip (especially in the big blue)
light/strobe

shark_tamer:
Because I have to tell my buddy before he swins away, that It'll take me 4 or 5 minutes to take a picture !!!

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :14:

So if the objective is for you to be the shutterbug then you are the master and he is the slave, it's his job to follow you. He may swim abreast but he needs to stay with you.

I'd like to have one of those underwater quackers, they seemed dto do well enough in the pool. I do have a problem with ganging stuff up on my inflator QD, it seems like a failure point and too much clutter.

Pete

I've tried using a duck, i ended up taking it off because it kept getting in the way when I wanted to inflate which was quite annoying. Usually it's a light for communication, regardless my buddy and i are generally never more than 6ft or so apart so all it takes is a quick flick of the fins and a tap on the shoulder. Failing all else, yelling through the reg works, sometimes we can actually understand each other.

Given that it's October, it's night dive season around here. Lights work great.

After doing a bunch of night diving, I'm actually amazed how hard it can be to get someone's attention during a shallow day dive. I know, I need a canister light ... :wink:

jeckyll:
Given that it's October, it's night dive season around here. Lights work great.
I know, I need a canister light ... :wink:

Damn straight ya do :D Greatest things ever.

S. starfish:
Damn straight ya do :D Greatest things ever.

Two of my buddies have been spending all their time sending theirs back.

Yet I've had 2 batteries blow up in my C8 and the thing was actually arching under water at about 80 fsw below the plumose gardens. And it still works. Those eLed's are almost indestructible! So I'm holding off on a more expensive 'solution' :wink:

Bjorn

I'm with Ken- enjoy the silence. The grunting and talking through the reg seems out of place to me, although I have scared my buddies with some stomach DCS during ascent. :D For the diving that I do, I consider it a dive planning failure if I have to actually write something on my wetnotes. (I'm secretly jealous of Ken for being able to whip out his wetnotes and actually write coherently :wink: )

So, with all that in mind, I have a whistle (not sure if it works underwater?), a mirror, and a few markers- a tall one that's ready to go, and a shorter one with more lift in case several things go wrong at the same time. I do have wetnotes, but they are really just a convenient place to store the whistle and mirror.

Back
Top Bottom