How do you get across ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
I try to stir the pot whenever possible.
and it makes for good theater the 10 or 20 times a year this thread comes up.

Its always the same: My buddy runs off on me... I need a noise maker.

Staying found is the most important buddy skill YOU can learn and deliver to the team.

No crazy Ivans.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
and it makes for good theater the 10 or 20 times a year this thread comes up.

Its always the same: My buddy runs off on me... I need a noise maker.

Staying found is the most important buddy skill YOU can learn and deliver to the team.

No crazy Ivans.

---
Ken

What if your buddy's lights crap out...can you make due with Scouts and wetnotes? :D

Kinda makes us Brits sound dumb doesnt it?!?!?!

Underwater if you cant say it with your hands after you have grabbed your buddies attention then it can wait until you get topside!

Whistle
2m SMB
Torch
Dye pack

Freds :coffee:

Noise makers like a shaker work great for getting everyones attention during a dive. They are just not for getting your buddy's attention. Many people on my dives during my recent trip to Coz would never have seen the group of 8 Eagle rays if I did not get their attention with the shaker. They thanked me for it later on the boat since 2 of them had never seen an Eagle ray before.

Every time I hear one of those ducks I wanna...well......I am not a fan of the duck. Nothing is worse than working around a wreck then someone shows up quacking about everything. Perhaps practice situational awareness and buddy skills, then spend the $50 you save on rum and wings.

One day while diving with an instabuddy and his quacker on the Benwood, Key largo.

*Quack* Large parrot fish
*Quack* Big gray anglefish
*Quack**Quack**Quack**Quack**Quack**Quack* Nurse Shark
*Quack* Another large parrot fish

Enjoy the silence.

matts1w:
Every time I hear one of those ducks I wanna...well......I am not a fan of the duck. Nothing is worse than working around a wreck then someone shows up quacking about everything. Perhaps practice situational awareness and buddy skills, then spend the $50 you save on rum and wings.

One day while diving with an instabuddy and his quacker on the Benwood, Key largo.

*Quack* Large parrot fish
*Quack* Big gray anglefish
*Quack**Quack**Quack**Quack**Quack**Quack* Nurse Shark
*Quack* Another large parrot fish

Enjoy the silence.
Quackers and tank bangers are annoying ... because people tend to overuse them. I just know, when I see somebody stepping off a boat with a noisemaker attached to their inflator hose or wrapped around their tank, that I'm going to be hearing it the entire dive and sure enough ... whap,whap,whap ... it's a fish ... whap,whap,whap ... a shrimp ... whap,whap ... a crab!

Just keep in mind that it's not just your buddy's attention you're getting ... it's everyone else who's on the reef as well. And chances are you're just being a nuisance to almost all of them.

Of course, learning decent buddy skills takes effort ... noise-makers only require a quick swipe of the credit card.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm a bit confused by this thread.

A dSMB is for attracting attention on the surface (of the boat, or rescue in an emergency, no?)

How do you attract your buddy's attention with it underwater?
Why would you ever need to use it to attract your buddy's attention on the surface? (something's gone wrong if you do, surely.) :huh:

shark_tamer:
Just got back from a dive vacation in the Carribean, and most of the divers in the group were " brits " .

I've never seen so many surface signals .... 9 out of 10 brit divers have a surface signal, but NONE had an underwater communication device !!!!

So let me know :

Well, I have two underwater communication devices - I call them "hands".

Back
Top Bottom