How do you get the surgical tubing on the pencil? <UW Slate Content>

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tplyons

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I think the question explains itself. I have a small Trident slate that I like and the surgical tubing around the pencil snapped.

I'd like to remount it this way... but for the life of me can't figure out how to get the surgical tubing back on the pencil. Are there any tricks to this?

This is the slate in question:
31vr-HBetDL.jpg

Have you tried saliva, soapy water or turtlenecking the tubing? Sanding a nice chamfer on the end of the pencil will help too.

Pete

I use long nose pliers to stretch the tubing. Or try rolling the tubing back then forward onto the pencil.

Reactions: D_B
I had already chamfered the end of the pencil hoping to roll it on but no luck.

However, the needle nose pliers idea worked. I had a pair of hemostats that worked perfectly... Was able to stretch it back onto the end!

Thanks!

Reactions: D_B
Buy an all graphite pencil from the art store. They should be rounded and fit nicely into the surgical tubing 3/16in.
Use a multi tool saw to make several pencils out of your one long graphite one. And use skateboard grip tape or a file as your sharpener.
File the tip into a 3-sided triangle point.

You can get scraps of grip tape at your local skate shop and tape a small square to your slate.

If you still have trouble, roll up and invert the end of the surgical tubing, then place the pencil on the end and roll the tubing back onto the pencil.

DX-103011

on this page:

Slates and Notebooks - Dive Gear Express

Get five, never play with rubber that breaks again, nor wood pencil that needs sharpening, and swells and splits.

Get a real underwater use item (pencil wood swells and splits, needs sharpening) and don't mess with stuff.

Buy five at once, because just one shipping is too high.

Thanks, I'll look into those in the future. Just wanted to fix what I have without spending any more money, especially to overnight gear as I'm leaving on Wednesday for a long weekend.

Back
Top Bottom