How do you know you're diving 21% Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fill my own tanks at home so no. Travelling and diving nitrox I only test the nitrox tanks. Have there been any documented cases of either an o2 hit because of or an unmarked tank mistakenly filled with >21%?

How about someone mistakenly breathing the wrong tank? That has happened.

It's not too far a stretch to see that someone could pick up a tank that was accidentally filled for deco, for example.

Mr. Beaver:

What is your suggested protocol for this testing by the traveling diver? I would be especially interested in learning the source of the calibration gas used to set up the unit once it is on site.

Mr. dumpsterDiver ( love the name btw ),

Use ambient air, it is everywhere.

yes, i analyze everything i'm gonna breathe that comes in a tank.

No, I do not & have not been analyzing air fills, but now that I pretty much just dive EAN, I can see the value while traveling. I am thinking more about the CO2 analyzer for checking fills while abroad. Too many accidents out there not too.

You guys are giving beaverdivers a hard time, but I agree with him . . . we analyze all our tanks, whether they are supposed to contain air or something else. All tanks are labeled at the time of analysis. It takes very little time, and since everyplace we get our tanks filled HAS oxygen available, it's just a good practice for safety.

Assuming for a minute that Dumpster knew about ambiant air being in plentiful supply, was he not implying that there is a calibration issue that deprives testing of its desired value?

Yes, we do sell analyzers. We also rent them, because for the traveling rec. diver that only dives once a year it does not make sense to buy one. The dive shop/boat should have one. If they don't use a different operator.

But that is not the question, Do you analyze your 21% nitrox tanks?
Yes, I have an ANALOX TESTER, I bring it on every trip, and on the rare occasion that I dive 21%, I still test it, because it is a good idea and because it is part of my pre-dive ritual. So it's too late to sell me a tester, but I'm due to replace my sensor soon.

You guys are giving beaverdivers a hard time, but I agree with him . . .
Yes, guilty as charged, and I agree with him too. I just wish he would put up an occasional post not calculated to scare people into equipment purchases. Even a post hawking T-shirts would be an improvement.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

No, I do not & have not been analyzing air fills, but now that I pretty much just dive EAN, I can see the value while traveling. I am thinking more about the CO2 analyzer for checking fills while abroad. Too many accidents out there not too.
CO—it's carbon monoxide you're worried about.

Assuming for a minute that Dumpster knew about ambiant air being in plentiful supply, was he not implying that there is a calibration issue that deprives testing of its desired value?
I calibrate with ambient air. There is a slight correction for humidity in the tropics. Close enough, I think.

Here's a question though: What about the diver who does not have a nitrox cert? I know for me, O2 analyzers were never mentioned in any course before I did the nitrox class, and that's where it was taught how and when to use them. Ok, so lets say this diver goes out and gets an analyzer to analyze their air and make sure they have air. Now what happens if it turns out they've got a tank with *gasp* 22%? For basically all intents and purposes, it's essentially air. The nitrox-certed diver shrugs, makes appropriate adjustments for their extra minute or 2 of NDL and dives it. The non-certed diver says "Now what?" What if all the "air" tanks are 22%? Where does somebody draw the line?

To specifically answer the question, though: Do I analyze every tank I use? No, I don't. Should I? Maybe, but for now, I don't.

Yes, guilty as charged, and I agree with him too. I just wish he would put up an occasional post not calculated to scare people into equipment purchases. Even a post hawking T-shirts would be an improvement.

I never implied that anyone needed to buy anything. In fact, I said just the opposite! Please be careful what you read into someone's post!

BTW, do you need a BD T-shirt?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom