How do you secure your camera while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cburdick1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello board:

I've been diving with my point-and-shoot (in a housing) for the past year and I've had it hanging off my wrist from a lanyard. That hasn't bothered me at all. However, I have added a strobe / tray and arm setup whih adds size and weight to the rig. I'm wondering if I should use the same lanyard system. Also, I've been thinking about rigging up a way to attach the rig securely to my BC so I can have my hands free if need be (hanging on to anchor line for safety stop in strong current as example).

So, how do you secure your camera to your hands / BC? I'm just looking for ideas here.

I have an slr with two strobes, so it's on the bulky side. I rarely secure it, but I do have a large bolt snap tied to the Ultra-light baseplate with string. If I have to make my way down a mooring line in a current and valsalva to clear at the same time, I run out of hands, so I snap it onto my shoulder D-ring.

I use the X-large bolt snap on this page:

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/hardware/sssnaps.shtml

attached per these instructions:

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml

Innovative-Stainless-Steel-Clip-W--Coil-Lanyard.jpg

Works for me with my lil ReefMaster Mini with Strobe.

I use something almost just like Calles, called a snappy coil.

It's two big stainless steel carabiner-like clips held together by webbing that meets a Nexus clip in the middle. Both Carabiners are hooked together with thick phone-cord like coiled wire.

When you wanna shoot, you pop the nexus clip and it extends like Calles', when you are getting onto the boat you hook the clip and it hangs about 5" below where it's clipped.

Looking for a picture now.

Mine does not have a split ring and a plastic hook. It's two metal spring loaded clip doo-hickeys. Yes, thats the scientific name.

Innovative-Original-Snappy-Coil-Lanyard.jpg

Mine is pretty much identical to SPG3K's. I also have a wrist lanyard attached to the strobe handle, for when the camera is actually in use (the 'snappy' remains connected to BCD, as in his description). I take the lanyard off my wrist for ascent. Works well.

I believe that "doo-hickie" and "Dealie" are both technical terms for an object that does not have a well-known colloquial term. In other words, if the correct word doesn't comt to mind, either word is interchangeable.

Thanks for the replies, I'll look for one of those cool phone cord looking.... dealies.

I have a simple wrist lanyard attached to the arm of my camera and I slip this on as soon as I lay hands on the camera in water.

At the base of one of the arms I have a metal ring and on my bcd I have brass clips so if I ever need to go hands free I can simply pop the metal ring onto the hook fast and easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom