How do you tote your tanks??? Getting the cart before the dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm guessing its not stainless, but rather a nice coat of silver paint?

We use a Foldit Cart.
I liked those, but I couldn't justify the expense.

It's just steel and arc welded with a cheap AC buzz box. The thick stuff was welded with 1/8" 7014 and the thin stuff was welded with 1/16" 7014. Unfortunately, the cart tubes were probably only 18 gauge. I managed to burn a couple of holes as I welded the 3/16" plates to it. I covered it over so it doesn't look too messy. I used a Rustoleum silver paint to dress it up. I picked up the cart from Home Depot:

afe6a88d-90ef-4a80-b6d7-a48bcf016e02_400.jpg

Home Depot's Hand Truck

The problem with Scuba is that we have a lot of gear to haul around. Of course, the heaviest part of our kit are our tanks. I have personally tried a number of different transports for tanks and I've yet to find one that works for me... until today. I took a really cheap dolly, cut off the axle and re-configured it to work for me. Here's a pic:

CylinderCart.jpg

NetDoc's Cylinder Cart

I ordered two 1" long pieces of 10" steel tube, two 4"x6"x0.250" plate, one 27"x0.050" axle, one 1"x48"x0.125" flat stock from SpeedyMetals and two 24" wheels from Amazon. I can hardly wait to try it out the next time I have to carry tanks a long distance.

So, what do you use and why? What have you tried that worked or almost worked? Anything that just outright failed?

Nice.

I'll eventually end up using something like this. For the time being, however, I'm still doing it the old fashioned way... carrying them and proving that I'm a real man.

R..

I had entered some wrong dimensions in the first post. Please re-read them if you're trying to order materials. :D

You finished it. Nice! :D

How do those wheels do in sand? I'm guessing wider might be better.

I have a tow dolly for certain places I dive. If anything involves sand I gear up from the car and walk (or scrap the dive). Learned that any sand vs. regulator means $100.

Given the large diameter, I think they'll do fine. However, they are allergic to snow. :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom