How do you tote your tanks??? Getting the cart before the dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice, but how many of us have a TIG welder (and know how to work with stainless) ?
I do, but prefer carts built from aluminum for weight. I have a folding Magna Cart I use at some dive sites to haul my bins.

I have the largest set that carts my boat across a soft sandy beach with nary a depression in the sand. Worth every penny since they are light weight too. Although I got them off of Ebay for a reasonable price. They can be seen in my profile picture. Using them I never dip my trailer in the water anymore.

My beach cart is still in the works and was put on hold as I remodel our house. I need to get back on it, and finish it. The original goal was for the "tractor" to move my boat across the beach via remote control. So I started researching electric wheel chairs and happened to find one about 80 miles from me. I traded an iPhone 3GS and got an extra heavy duty wheel chair and a power lift receiver hauler for it. So I took my cutter to the wheel chair and started modifying it. I bought a second seat mount that will mount to two ABS sheets formed to the hull of my boat. Then with the RC pot modification I will be able to move my boat around, either with me in it, or remotely. The secondary goal is to attach it to my HF hitch hauler, and using my beach cart wheels on the front, have it tote our gear across the beach, and me to and from our vehicle that has to be parked far up a hill (Not quite as bad as Old Marineland though).

Tractor.jpg

Phil you need to power your cart. If you want photos of a few carts with electric motors, pm me your email address.

Try using the Tank Trolley. It is easy to slip over the tank and can take off easy to store in your dive bag. I've traveled all over the world with mine. IT will roll in the sand too! Its an essential piece of my dive gar now. www.tanktrolley.net

Attachments

• aIMG_8225.jpg
    aIMG_8225.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9429.jpg
    IMG_9429.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 131
For now I just use a cheap (bought at Costco) flat folding 2 wheeled dolly (where the wheels fold in sideways when the load playe is folded up. The wheels are no good on soft ground and it really could use 3 hoops at the bottom (like @The Chairman 's) and a nicer way to attach a bungee or strap 2/3 a tank up But it's rated for 300lbs (I think) and certainly is good for 3 tanks on hard ground and with more effort gras. Softer ground than that and it's no good.
Costco does not carry it anymore (not "ours") it was like $15.97 when they cleared them out (and $20 or 30 regular) and looked an awful lot like this (minus the brand name) (monster lenghts link below).

Milwaukee 300 LB Capacity Aluminum Folding Hand Truck Dolly Trolley Heavy Duty | eBay

Edit: or like the below from Lowe's, but keep in mind, if ypu do not strap diligently, something (like those hoops in post #1) is needed on the load plate to prevent the tanks to slide off if you hit a curb at an angle or such...
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Milwaukee-300-lb-Capacity-Red-Aluminum-Folding-Hand-Truck/4764889

For now I just use a cheap (bought at Costco) flat folding 2 wheeled dolly (where the wheels fold in sideways when the load playe is folded up. The wheels are no good on soft ground and it really could use 3 hoops at the bottom (like @The Chairman 's) and a nicer way to attach a bungee or strap 2/3 a tank up But it's rated for 300lbs (I think) and certainly is good for 3 tanks on hard ground and with more effort gras. Softer ground than that and it's no good.
Costco does not carry it anymore (not "ours") it was like $15.97 when they cleared them out (and $20 or 30 regular) and looked an awful lot like this (minus the brand name) (monster lenghts link below).

Milwaukee 300 LB Capacity Aluminum Folding Hand Truck Dolly Trolley Heavy Duty | eBay

Edit: or like the below from Lowe's, but keep in mind, if ypu do not strap diligently, something (like those hoops in post #1) is needed on the load plate to prevent the tanks to slide off if you hit a curb at an angle or such...
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Milwaukee-300-lb-Capacity-Red-Aluminum-Folding-Hand-Truck/4764889
yes, I know those. they are still a pain to deal with when not diving. Mine will fit in your dive bag since its just wheels and flexible strapping. the cost isn't much higher either!
I am a diver and I designed the Tank Trolley for divers. This is something I designed in 2005 and used personally. I am now manufacturing and selling to the public this year. People are loving it. You wont be disappointed. :)
Here is a you Tube link that is a short demo how it works over sand. - cheers

Well, @James@Tank Trolley
... respectfully ...
I appreciate you pointing it out, but you of course expressed your opinion about the cart I still happen to use, not my opinion.
I am not quite sure I liked what I was seeing in your video at all, nor might I agree based on that viewing with you on which might be the bigger pain.
Anyway, my agreement should not matter much in regards to your product. Just clarifying my position, which does differ from yours.

I am still quite comfortable with carrying one tank (especially in the harness :wink:) but certainly also w/o. I would certainly carry a single tank over the sand of beach shown before I would drag it through the sand with the little wheels shown. And yes, my cart is not useable in sand, deep, loose gravel, deep mud or swamps. (neither being present where I so far fove with my own tanks but surely hoping for sand...)

The trolley that works for me will need to deal with at least to tanks and a full gear bag... (in one haul) and to work on sand it would need a real sand wheel or a balloon tire... but then again diveable beaches are mostly a vacation away for me, so sand capability is not a priority for me at this point.

Edit: Only realizing now that I was replying to a very old thread awoken by the poster prior to my initial reply... should have read to the very end first...

4 and a half years later, and my cart still works well. No, it's not quite as shiny, but all the functionality is there.

Just and FYI for anyone who decides to weld stainless, make sure you have the proper ventilation when doing so. Welding stainless gives off hexavalent chromium which in and of itself can be a pretty nasty animal with prolonged exposure.

When we were diving Marineland every weekend I needed something to haul two sets of gear down the trail. Ask Elena about Marineland. :)
DSCF1936.jpg

DSCF1934.jpg

trail.jpg

It's a long haul and a brutal entry/exit. Friends of mine have gotten scars and broken bones there. I'll be diving there this Saturday but from a boat.

jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom