how do you.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TropicalDiver:
Only larger fish will swim off with your spear -

But, if you do spear a larger fish, like a 20 lb grouper, they WILL swim off with your spear if its not attached to you. Nikki :fish:

Hi Nikki,

Just thought I'd embellish on your "swim off" terminology. Many new divers picture their new spear and a fish on a bus to Mexico!

We both know that even huge groupers, with a spear still in them, will swim only to the closest hole they consider safe, where they'll hide. Even after shaking the spear often they'll still not leave the area, it's home.

That's when a second spear and a light holder will work wonders on retrieval.

Chad

make the trip to tampa talk with chad and let him take you on a spearfishing 101 trip very informative and worth the drive and money..

p.s. chad see you soon for the advance class and nitrox..jobs ending real soon

Spearboard

Heres a list of things other than a speargun&stringer.

1.Comfortable gear and adequate enviromental protection,spearfishermen tend to spend a lot of time in the water and around a lot of sharp stuff.Wrecks ,coral,concrete,rocks and fish can cut,sting or puncture your skin.Chafing and binding caused by poor fit makes a good day into a PITA.

2.Good buddies...a very under-rated commodity.Like minded hunters looking for similar game under similar conditions.Most freedivers or beginners will not be too at home in 130'+ looking for typical SE US game on the bottom.Just as many hard-core guys rarely dive in 30'

3.A good sense of ethics.You will be representing other spearfisherman to those around you.Do us all a favor and hunt responsibly.It means a better rep for us and abetter fishery for everyone.

4.Money.Setting aside enough cash to buy gear is only the beggining.There's air fills,gas for the boat or money for charter trips,ice for the catch,a freezer on the porch or in the garage is nice to keep spouses happy.I figure it costs about $20 per person on an inshore easy day to over $100 on long trips.Charters run $60 to several hundred for multi-day trips in distant waters.

5.Most inportant is a relaxed attitude and sense of humor.This after all still supposed to be fun.

100days-a-year:
Spearboard

Heres a list of things other than a speargun&stringer.

1.Comfortable gear and adequate enviromental protection,spearfishermen tend to spend a lot of time in the water and around a lot of sharp stuff.Wrecks ,coral,concrete,rocks and fish can cut,sting or puncture your skin.Chafing and binding caused by poor fit makes a good day into a PITA.

2.Good buddies...a very under-rated commodity.Like minded hunters looking for similar game under similar conditions.Most freedivers or beginners will not be too at home in 130'+ looking for typical SE US game on the bottom.Just as many hard-core guys rarely dive in 30'

3.A good sense of ethics.You will be representing other spearfisherman to those around you.Do us all a favor and hunt responsibly.It means a better rep for us and abetter fishery for everyone.

4.Money.Setting aside enough cash to buy gear is only the beggining.There's air fills,gas for the boat or money for charter trips,ice for the catch,a freezer on the porch or in the garage is nice to keep spouses happy.I figure it costs about $20 per person on an inshore easy day to over $100 on long trips.Charters run $60 to several hundred for multi-day trips in distant waters.

5.Most inportant is a relaxed attitude and sense of humor.This after all still supposed to be fun.

Thank... i am a fisherman... so i got the boat, and freezer already... i was thinking about buying some sort of steel puncture/cut proof gloves so when i go in for the kill... i don't accidentally stab myself in the hand... if i understand right... you are suposted to grab the fish by the gills and stab it in the head behind the eyes, either through the top of the head or the side..... am i right?

fast97rs:
Thank... i am a fisherman... so i got the boat, and freezer already... i was thinking about buying some sort of steel puncture/cut proof gloves so when i go in for the kill... i don't accidentally stab myself in the hand... if i understand right... you are suposted to grab the fish by the gills and stab it in the head behind the eyes, either through the top of the head or the side..... am i right?
Provided you've gotten a good shot on the fish, thats where the shot would be. Seriously, and this isn't condescending, but do a ride with folks who spear regular - the lessons you learn in that one trip alone will be invaluable to your own spear trips. I'm a hunter and lifetime fisherman and thought I had the theory down pretty good until I went out with a group. I was paired up with a guy who had about 12 years experience in Panama free diving.. what I learned in the first dive still gets applied to this day!

CBulla:
Provided you've gotten a good shot on the fish, thats where the shot would be. Seriously, and this isn't condescending, but do a ride with folks who spear regular - the lessons you learn in that one trip alone will be invaluable to your own spear trips. I'm a hunter and lifetime fisherman and thought I had the theory down pretty good until I went out with a group. I was paired up with a guy who had about 12 years experience in Panama free diving.. what I learned in the first dive still gets applied to this day!

Going free dive spearing this afternoon.... got a gun from a pawn shop for $25..... 36" Biller... LOL... great price... guns a little old/worn but the bands are new.... but i just wanna test it out... see how much i like it....

will post my catch latter on........ thanks everyone.....

P.S.
Im finnaly gonna do it... (getting butterflies.... you know your inlove with something when that happens)

Good luck, you sure jumped in with both feet

Ok.... so this is how it went

Wrote the thread.... went to work... got the boat with my dad

Went out of Government cut.... headed to Stilts Ville (about 20'-30').... found a head.... and started to chum the water....

Took a shot at a few large grunts.... missed

then i was able to find a grouper that was peeking out of a whole (about 30" long)...

my heart was pounding.... hit him between the gills and the eyes.... he dragged me like a foot (like a jolt when he went back into his hole)... and then went limp...

i pulled him out.... and was dragging him back to the boat (about 4 feet of line... almost all of it).... (remember i was holding my breath).... as im doing so.... i feel a tug at the line and then it got lighter.... alot lighter.... i was left with half a grouper... only to see a cuda sitting there after it cut the fish in half chomping on the rest....

I go up and tell my dad about it.... he says fine.... tie the line (that goes to the gun) to the boat.... spear that *****er and get on here as fast as you can.....

so i did so..... got down under water.... and took a shot at him.... hit him between his fins and gills..... so he took off running.... i then let go of the gun.... and flew onto the boat.... my dad is on the boat keeping the line (rope) tight as if it were on a yo-yo.... then pulled it up once it calmed down....

That was soooooooooooooooo fun!
I'm gonna post the pictures of the 'cuda as soon as i can scan them....

thanks for all the advice guys...... this is amazing! I love being able to select exactly which fish i want.... but miss being surprized by the line and reel effect... but then again my dad didn't catch anything... but was too busy watching me....

Can't wait till i get another gun!

Jorgy

P.S.
Sold the gun for $80 at the dock... one of my dads friends really wanted it for his son... and i felt that if it brought me luck it should do it for his son too.... i was gonna give it too him for free... but he insisted... even after i told him what i paid (guess he didn't believe me). (one of the bands broke)(my fault... i over extended it.... was too busy after i went down and got used to reloading on the boat... so when i jumped in took a shot and went to reload.... it popped)

Back
Top Bottom