Spearing on SCUBA basics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomasj1107

Contributor
Reaction score
So I’ve been spearing while freediving (not very deep) in the keys for fifteen years, but just recently got SCUBA certified and have some questions. Not for a little while until I get some dives under my belt and then do AOW, but later on id like to spear and lobster while SCUBA diving. For those that do this…. What basic equipment can you not do without?

When you are spearing, I’m assuming it’s a lot more drifting to cover some ground, do you have a line attached to you/a float on the surface? Do you float the fish up and let someone on the boat grab? Just want to know how everyone is doing it?

I spent many years spearing in Hawaii. Speargun (of course), a leather work glove on my non-trigger hand, a sharp pointed knife, and a stringer (about 6 ft long) were the mainstays when spearing on SCUBA. The float & tagline only came out when freediving. Lobster diving used a pair of work gloves, a wide-mouth game bag, a big suicide clip on my weightbelt (for the game bag), and a light. Make that 2 lights -- definitely take a smaller one for backup.

(The common light at the time was a UK1200, pistol-grip on a wrist lanyard so you could let it go if needed. I'm sure there are better options these days, perhaps with a soft Goodman handle mount. Whatever you get, it WILL get beat up going for lobsters.)

I did wear a dive computer, small profile, with replaceable protection for the face (Suunto Mosquito). It was not uncommon to bump up against NDL limits on the deeper dives spearing.

I can't speak to any Florida-specific regulations, but I imagine there are a fair few to worry about. Good luck!

Protocols and specific gear requirements vary greatly depending on the location. If you provide some specificity about the location, you will be more likely to get useful information.

Still too large of an area and it helps if you specify depths. First thing is probably if you are drift diving versus anchor.

That decision eliminates/presents some options.

Also, sharks are a giant issue and it varies depending primarily on location and also maybe seasonality.

It will be in the 60-80 ft range mostly. Sometime a bit shallower or deeper, but both drift and anchor…. Would appreciate info on both

So I’ve been spearing while freediving (not very deep) in the keys for fifteen years, but just recently got SCUBA certified and have some questions. Not for a little while until I get some dives under my belt and then do AOW, but later on id like to spear and lobster while SCUBA diving. For those that do this…. What basic equipment can you not do without?
A speargun and a stringer for sure, for the spearfishing. Different gear for lobster.
When you are spearing, I’m assuming it’s a lot more drifting to cover some ground, do you have a line attached to you/a float on the surface? Do you float the fish up and let someone on the boat grab? Just want to know how everyone is doing it?
Depends on the condition of the dive site, but I don't usually see Scuba spearos attached to a line at the surface. I haven't speared on the east coast. Most of my spearing is on the west coast of FL, with annual trips to the Keys. Same gear works in both places.

No float. Speargun is rigged for freeshafting, but I do carry a line and can quickly convert if needed. I also carry two spare shafts on the speargun, a light attached to the speargun, and a PPD mounted on the speargun as well. A means to dispatch a fish quickly is also a good idea. A pointed knife, or pointed device of some sort will work.

I prefer this type of stringer. The tip extending past the clasp allows you to start to string your fish without opening the stringer. Ocean Rhino Custom One Hand SS Stringer 5/16

There are devices that are used for floating fish up to the surface. I see compact liftbags from Toothless Spearfishing in my local Dive shops. That's not a bad idea in sharky areas. I use a Shark Shield when spearing. Keeps them from getting too curious about what I have.
Why exactly?
Just ignore that comment. Some areas have different rules on spearfishing and some have trouble understanding different perspectives.

Depends on the condition of the dive site, but I don't usually see Scuba spearos attached to a line at the surface. I haven't speared on the east coast. Most of my spearing is on the west coast of FL, with annual trips to the Keys. Same gear works in both places.

No float. Speargun is rigged for freeshafting, but I do carry a line and can quickly convert if needed. I also carry two spare shafts on the speargun, a light attached to the speargun, and a PPD mounted on the speargun as well. A means to dispatch a fish quickly is also a good idea. A pointed knife, or pointed device of some sort will work.

Thank you…. For a drift dive though, how do they let the boat know where they are/keep boat in range so when they surface it’s not 300-400yds away with no float to alert other boats as well?

Thank you…. For a drift dive though, how do they let the boat know where they are/keep boat in range so when they surface it’s not 300-400yds away with no float to alert other boats as well?
For most I'm familiar with, the boat operator follows the bubbles. I would say it would be the same as a regular drift dive in the area. If they use a float, I guess it's an option, but it sounds like it could be an entanglement hazard. Definitely if you add lineshafting to the mix.

I've just never seen it done. Never seen it in the Keys or Gulfcoast. It might be done on the east coast, but I don't recall seeing it in any videos I've seen of that area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom