How does diving in Hawaii compare to Bahamas, Cozumel, Cancun, Cayman, etc..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think what scares alot of people off is the airfare, then the flight out here. I came to hawaii 11 years ago for the diving...and I keep finding new stuff every time we drop. every island has something different then the other. the big island has the mantas and great shore dived maui has the few wrecks, and molokini. lanai has great structure, Oahu has the traffic...wait I mean "LOTS OF WRECKS". kauai has the healthy coral both soft and hard, and ni inhau. there is plenty to offer. don't get scared by the convenience of just running south. alot of us came here for a few dives and planted ourselves. there are big creatures to encounter, but no one offers them as a tour due to the impact and alot of the groups that think any kind of tour is bad.

laytahs
steve

Is regular PADI Open Water sufficient for such a night dive?

Usually night dives are only for advanced; however it seems like this rule is not clear?

Black Water Night Dives seem to be a local specialty, as well. The idea is that you go out into the open ocean at night, drop to about 12 meters, and watch all the crazy stuff float by.

Jack's Diving Locker : Pelagic Magic Black Water Night Dive

I didn't have time when I was there, but I'll make sure to try it soon!

I think what scares alot of people off is the airfare, then the flight out here. I came to hawaii 11 years ago for the diving...and I keep finding new stuff every time we drop. every island has something different then the other. the big island has the mantas and great shore dived maui has the few wrecks, and molokini. lanai has great structure, Oahu has the traffic...wait I mean "LOTS OF WRECKS". kauai has the healthy coral both soft and hard, and ni inhau. there is plenty to offer. don't get scared by the convenience of just running south. alot of us came here for a few dives and planted ourselves. there are big creatures to encounter, but no one offers them as a tour due to the impact and alot of the groups that think any kind of tour is bad.

laytahs
steve

i thought that too until i found this site: Matrix - ITA Software

if your dates are flexible you can fly to hawaii for $500 return. that site searches all the dates for a given month and finds you the best price. you can fly to hawaii next week, prime time season in february, for $550. that's what it would cost to go anywhere in the caribbean from the north east.. difference is if you only have a week you lose a lot of time in transit to hawaii but for two weeks it makes sense

What may seem like a smart ass response but there is no way you can compair any two places,,,
having taken tens of thousands of divers you can be assured, some will like it, some wont.
ive led tours and one person will say, "that was the best dive of my life!" Someone else on the same dive will say, wow that was kind of boring.
same as answering "where is the best dive site on the island?" Different strokes for different folks.
hawaii is unique in the amounts of corals and endemic species, moreso than just about anyplace else in the world

I want to go somewhere on this trip where my jaw will drop! I want to see teaming sealife or big fish. What does Hawaii have to offer in that respect?

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. To get what you want, you're about half way there, you need to keep flying south and west for another 2500-3000 miles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom