How Does Roatan and CCV Compare?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to CoCo View and Little Cayman and Brac Reef Resort. I have not been to Cobalt Coast but the two places I mentioned are run by the same entity.

CoCo View has quite a bit to offer. It has two boat dives per day. On the way back, you can drop off and do CoCo View wall or Newman's Wall. Both are decent but I believe the corals are degraded by nutrients coming out from the harbor. The swim in through the turtle grass is a gas in a good way. I always saw something interesting.

The south facing walls are good on the boat dives. Corals are decent in most places. The water clarity s excellent. The dive operation is superb. Patty works really hard to get divers to jettison weight. The dive masters are very good. The boats are fine but not great.

The area has good macro life. It has quite a few sea horses. My wife had a life time tally of sea horses she had seen and after one trip had to drop it because we saw about 5 per day. We saw quite a few morays, angels, and macro life. The fishing pressure is high so grouper and large snapper are rarer. We did not see many turtles.

I thought the rooms were ok. The food was pretty basic. The big thing is you can get a bunch of dives in.

The Cayman operations have food on a cafeteria setting like CoCo View and it is pretty good. But if you want really too line stuff, it isn't. The rooms are nice. My wife likes them far better than CoCo View.

These resorts run Newman 46' boats which are superior to CoCo Views. You can do three boat dives per day. Neither Little nor Brac have shore dives. Little has the famous Bloody Bay Wall which is nearly my wife's favorite. My wife is a wall junky. The water clarity is really good but here CoCo View is about even. The dive masters are pretty even too. I like the Deep South side walls at a Brac. They have really good corals, good sea life and often have patrolling reef sharks.

As for sea life, the Caymans have numerous turtles and many of them ignore divers. You see morays and angels but not like Roatan. Also no toadfish which Roatan has and seeing a sea horse is a big deal. But it is the best place to see the endangered Nassau grouper and some of them are quite big. They can even be quite friendly. I see tiger grouper, black grouper and yellowfin grouper too. You sometimes see eagle rays. Sting rays are pretty common. And macro life is quite good.

I lean towards the Caymans for two reasons, for me, it is easier to get to and my wife loves it. But CoCo View is an excellent choice especially if you want to get a pot load of dives in and don't mind basic accommodations. We thoroughly enjoyed both places.

Oh, the bugs.... the bugs did not bother me at Roatan but they nail me at the Caymans. It is just opposite for my wife.

Another thing, CoCo View is infested with humming birds of a number of species. ..... cool. The Out islands of the Caymans have frigate birds and brown footed boobies. The boobies will fly just a few feet from the boat when it is under way.

I have been to both. CCV is good for lots of easy diving and very nice wall diving. It's more like a scuba playground, wreck from shore, easy wall diving, some nice topography and a very well run dive operation. Food is just ok. Cobalt is also well run as a dive operation and much better food. However, I'm just not into Grand Cayman as a dive location any more. I would highly recommend Brac or Little Cayman over Grand Cayman. Much better diving IMO, good food and well run dive ops. Going back to CCV in March with my LDS. That's why I go....to be with a large group of friends and enjoy the whole experience. For pure diving and overall experience CCV is nice, Brac and Little Cayman a bit better and Grand Cayman, well....maybe it's just me. BTW, Brac just upgraded the resort and it looks very nice.

Rob

If you want to consider budget, the 2 for 1 Anthony's Key deal is really hard to beat.

Please ignore the CCV cheerleading that's taken over this board. While CCV is a fine place to stay, it is childish to denigrate people and places not CCV.

I totally agree with the statement that "once is enough". Did it once then moved on. We just returned from diving at Las Rocas for a week. Great diving for a reasonable price & we could eat where we chose.

I guess with any dive location, it all depends on what you want out of a given trip....and in the age of freely available info, do your homework beforehand :). I guess we can all also agree that we (and those we are traveling with) are all looking for something slightly different.....and sometimes this can change trip-by-trip.

Some view CCV as overly repetitive diving with long swims and the pain of having to carry your tank back to the dive dock on the drop-offs...and basic, non-inventive food with rustic/worn accommodations. Others see it as a hidden gem/divers playground with an great ability to configure a high volume diving week exactly the way you want (shore, boat, early night, late night, pre-dawn, morning, afternoon, deep, shallow, wall, wreck, muck, coral gardens, tech, long dives, short dives, etc, etc. - all in the same location). Everything outside of the diving at CCV (food included) is clearly an afterthought/non-priority = basic needs are met, but if you are a foodie or "roomie", you will be let down. CCV will pretty much let you do whatever you want when it comes to diving, assuming you are not over-stepping your abilities - all you have to do is ask.

My one trip to the Caymans (Little Cayman Beach Resort) was really enjoyable...but flexibility was definitely not their way of doing things when it came to diving. They have a tried and true schedule and process and it works. I knew this going in and had a great time. Food was good. Bloody Bay wall is great. Rooms are "high end motel" vs. the rustic rooms at CCV. They have a nice pool. They do 3 dives a day. There is no shore diving. I would definitely recommend it.

I'll have to look at the other thread before I repeat too much stuff. But I will say, I've stayed at Cobalt Coast several times (though before it changed hands) and CCV once. I'm not really sure what is meant by "well-matched for comparison" but even though they're both AI dive resorts with boat and shore diving I don't think they're remotely similar.

I believe the question basically amounted to whether they're comparable in terms of overall trip cost for, oh, say, a typical 7 day dive trip.

I suspect what drove this is the pattern over time where someone asks about where to take a dive trip, and the Cayman Islands are mentioned but with the caveat that Cayman dive trips are expensive (also Turks and Caicos gets the same tag).

So are people who'd be a good match for a Cobalt Coast trip on Grand Cayman being unnecessarily diverted out of unfounded fear of higher cost...or is the stereotype of the expensive Caymans accurate?

Richard.

..... trip on Grand Cayman being unnecessarily diverted out of unfounded fear of higher cost...or is the stereotype of the expensive Caymans accurate?

No more so than the stereotypical high costs of airfare to the Bay Islands. I see both as true.

Back
Top Bottom