How far can you swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started swimming again after many years and I do about 2000 yards (a little over a mile) 2-3x a week as part of my weekly cardio routine. Since beginning this routine, I've found that my breath control and air consumption while diving has improved much more than when I was doing land cardio activities only. Just my experience though, no scientific data to back it up.

DiveMe:
I started swimming again after many years and I do about 2000 yards (a little over a mile) 2-3x a week as part of my weekly cardio routine. Since beginning this routine, I've found that my breath control and air consumption while diving has improved much more than when I was doing land cardio activities only. Just my experience though, no scientific data to back it up.

Specificity of training. Plenty of scientific evidence to back it up.

I just did a 400m swim last weekend and I knew that a month ago, I wouldn't be able to do it despite "swimming" 2.5km four to five times a week at the local gym. My "swiming" consisted of a modified breast stroke wearing mask, snorkel and fins. But exchange all that for a pair of goggles and a front crawl stroke scared me...lol. I took three swimming lessons, changed my whole technique and saw immediate results. Did the ladder training of 50m 50m 50m 100m 100m 50m 50m 50m etc etc but I was getting too knackered. So I changed it to one attempt to do 500m nice and slow two days before the test - I did it and knew I would have no problem with my test. It was sheer determination. Now I am practising front crawl every morning as I want to be able to swim further than 1000m regularly. I reward myself with a snorkel afterwards which sets me up for the day nicely. :)

my OW class in April had me doing the swim and then treading water for 10 minutes...how embarrassing...like some others, i've snorkeled so many times and never had a problem. but i weigh 140 lbs and i'm short...i have no fat on my body...when it was time to tread, i had to paddle quite fast to keep my head above water...i have negative boyancy...very little fat means that while most of you can float easily, i sink easily...while you guys can handle cold water more easily, i'm shivering...wish i had some fat under my skin

all4scuba05:
mvery little fat means that while most of you can float easily, i sink easily...while you guys can handle cold water more easily, i'm shivering...wish i had some fat under my skin

I was 6'0" and 170 pounds when I certified. about 10% bodyfat and sunk like a brick. The treading water part nearly killed me.

But I would GLADLY trade you half of this fat for half of your fitness!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom