How far can you swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey:
One more quick comment, someone mentioned it being a small pool to have to do 16 lengths. It was a small pool in the dive center.

It would be a 12.5 yard pool for the numbers brought up for the swim. Not unheard of, but not what most people are used to swimming laps in (25 or 50 yard pools).

I myself enjoy swimming, carried over from when I was competitively swimming during high school/college. I was trained as a pure sprinter (200 yards or less) and had a hard time transitioning to long swims. Eventually it all came into place, by changing my swimming rhythm to a bit slower pace and (as mentioned earlier) to allow a bit of a glide before taking my next arm stroke. I'm certainly nowhere near the speeds I was swimming when I was younger, but at least now I can swim 1000 yards without batting an eye!

Of course I'm a big supporter of a required swimming component (although in cases where one is physically challenged I feel some allowances are necessary).

Twenty five years ago, as part of a fitness regimen I used, I would swim a mile every week night after an hour of weights and stationary cycle. I was in fantastic shape back then. Now I would struggle through a mile swim, but should have no trouble with 200-400 yards. Lung capacity is still there, but muscle development ain't what it used to be.

Some "test" for physical fitness should be a part of every certification. I've seen too many divers who are morbidly obese or otherwise not physically fit who have died or had significant dive-related injuries due to lack of conditioning. According to some on my "re-cert" thread, this is a matter of personal choice or agency standards that are far too lax. I agree with the latter.

Maybe the instructor was playing a cruel joke or wasn't very good at math and made him actually swim 400 yds instead of 200 yds. :lol2:

gfisher4792:
It would be a 12.5 yard pool for the numbers brought up for the swim. Not unheard of, but not what most people are used to swimming laps in (25 or 50 yard pools).

Personnally I think the swim test should end in a 10 minute threading water test. Most people won't swim to shore because they can't find it, can't beat the current or are too far to reach it. Exposure, time and poor understanding of one's own limits are the real enemy.

The agencies can't throw a bunch of students into the pool for 30hrs but they can similate by exhausting them and then making them float or tread water.

drbill:
Of course I'm a big supporter of a required swimming component

Some "test" for physical fitness should be a part of every certification. I've seen too many divers who are morbidly obese or otherwise not physically fit who have died or had significant dive-related injuries due to lack of conditioning. (QUOTE]

On the other hand, if a person doesn't want to be in great shape and is running a risk of heart attack by walking out to get the mail, why does he/she not have the right to dive? If they're going to die of a heart attack it seems fair to me that they can choose how and where they want to do it. Why is it more horrible or unacceptable that a person dies diving than any other way?

Hank49:
On the other hand, if a person doesn't want to be in great shape and is running a risk of heart attack by walking out to get the mail, why does he/she not have the right to dive? If they're going to die of a heart attack it seems fair to me that they can choose how and where they want to do it. Why is it more horrible or unacceptable that a person dies diving than any other way?

Because it often involves putting others who attempt a rescue at risk.

Hank49:

If that person is a solo diver, then so be it. The problem here is that if they want to choose to put thier life at risk underwater, they are likely to endanger the life of their dive buddy / partner. This is unacceptable.

I have refused to go diving over the past couple of weeks with very experienced divers because I do not feel I am currently capable of being a good dive buddy for them. I view it as my personal responsibility to be reasonably fit, and self sufficient under the water before asking ANYONE to dive with me. I can't help the fact that I am inexperienced, but I can darn sure improve my fitness and be a conscientious dive partner to the best of my ability.

If you can't bring anything to the team, don't join the team.

drbill:
Because it often involves putting others who attempt a rescue at risk.

I see your point....to a point. As Perrone said, if you're a solo diver (as I believe you are DrBill) you're putting no one at risk. But anyone can have a problem under water and puts the rescuer at risk. If we apply your principle to life in general then overweight, out of shape people should be confined to quarters so they don't inconvenience anyone by having an overweight person's related problem and forcing a rescue. They have the same rights as anyone to dive or whatever. Under the right conditions, diving is less stressful on the cardiovascular system than walking across a city street.

Hank49:
Under the right conditions, diving is less stressful on the cardiovascular system than walking across a city street.
Do we know enough about elevated nitogen levels in the human body to make that claim?

Hank, you may be right but I am just looking for real evidence.

Hank49:
If we apply your principle to life in general then overweight, out of shape people should be confined to quarters so they don't inconvenience anyone by having an overweight person's related problem and forcing a rescue.

Quite often obese people ARE confined to quarters in many respects. In my own case, being unfit has taken me away from a great many things I enjoy. Diving included. I got sick of it, and unlike a lot of other heavy people, I decided to change it.

When you are in a dive team, each member relies on the other. They expect each member to be able to function at some level. As the stress of the dive goes up, the demands on EACH member of the team goes up. At some point, the obese diver, the inexperienced diver, the slow diver, etc., become the weak link in the team and the risks become to great to continue. Some factors are simply beyond control. In my case, I don't and won't burden advanced divers with babysitting me while I work out my trim and buoyancy issues. It's terribly unfair to them. If my fitness wouldn't allow me to keep up with an advanced group on an open water swim, I'd find someone else to dive with.

There are many things in life that a great number of people would like to do, but simply won't have access to. I'll never own my own plane, or a large yacht. I don't have access to that. I'd LOVE to race automobiles but circumstances preclude that. I wanted to play college basketball and was good, just not good enough to play where I went. We face these challenges all of our lives. And I'm sorry, but if you are too heavy or unfit to dive safely, then don't do it. Or at least don't do it and expect someone to be waiting bail you out. Most heavy people are less than a year or two away of constant fitness work from being able to enjoy diving. If you REALLY want to do it, put in the work. If I can get my big butt out there in the pool and on the treadmill, and at the track, then so can the next person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom