How far can you swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly. And the LAST thing I'd be ditching would be my BC. The ability to stop, rest, and float easily, would be VERY high on my priority list.

I was DM for a SSI shop that told the instructors that they were not to do the swim test! Because they were affraid that people would not be able to do it and would ask for there mooney back!

I left them for that reason and a few others!

In just 4 months of assisting in classes for them I saw people get certified that I would not ask my worst enemy to be their buddy!

Anyway the swiming test is a must! They certified a guy that could not carry a tank 50 yrds from his car to the waters edge with out getting winded. You will see an accident involving him.

the scaryest thing is they just made him a DiveCon!

OffTheWall:
I was DM for a SSI shop that told the instructors that they were not to do the swim test! Because they were affraid that people would not be able to do it and would ask for there mooney back!

Did you report them for standards violations?

That's one short pool if 16 lengths equals 200 yards. Flip turn, glide, flip turn, glide....

DavidHickey:
BUT our first day in class the instructor said "as silly as it sounds the first thing we need to do is to make sure that all of you can swim." To do this you all need to swim 200 yards which is 16 lengths of the pool and you need to do it with out fins, mask and snorkel.

Walter:
Did you report them for standards violations?
Yes along with an instructor (who left the same time as I) we were ignorded multiple times by the director of instruction (I forget his name now). The shop churns out about 75 divers a month and obviously make a lot of money for SSI with supplies. So there is no question as to why we were ignored.
I intern changed my opinion about SSI and went back to PADI and retook the DM course for PADI to work at a different shop and LIFE is a lot better!

ScubaMarine:
Our instructor omits the 200yd swim from OW certification.
Regardless of the reason he does this, it's a massive violation of PADI standards. And if caught would probably have his teaching status revoked.

Back to the topic though, swimming was never my forté, I struggled through my stamina test in DM, but eventually got through it. I am a firm believer that people are either good swimmers of they're not. I have no problems with water and am more comfortable there than on land, but stamina swimming + Scubafreak = :heart: :icosm10:

:D

I've taught swimming to adults and children, and I feel the biggest problem lies with proper body postion in the water and not relaxing. Good swimmers roll from side to side and glide after each stroke. Those with trouble tighten up and do quick short strokes, resulting in early fatigue.

EricJ:
I've taught swimming to adults and children, and I feel the biggest problem lies with proper body postion in the water and not relaxing. Swimmers roll from side to side and glide after each stroke. Those with trouble tighten up and do quick short strokes, resulting in early fatigue.
I am no swim coach but I would agree with that. I can swim a lick on my stomach but can swim all day long using the side stroke or on my back.

EricJ:
I've taught swimming to adults and children, and I feel the biggest problem lies with proper body postion in the water and not relaxing. Swimmers roll from side to side and glide after each stroke. Those with trouble tighten up and do quick short strokes, resulting in early fatigue.

You're not supposed to glide after each stroke??? :dropmouth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom