How far to go with PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rongoodman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We'll be finishing up our Open Water dives soon. I had the next few months mapped out in my head with a succession of PADI courses when I ran into a local SDI/TDI instructor in the shop where i bought my dry suit. He seems much more in tune with how I want to progress in my diving, and we won't be bumping heads about snorkels or learning in long hose , BP/W, etc. My question is, would it be worth it to continue with PADI at least to AOW, since it's only five more dives? Is this a card that would do me enough good in the short run to just go for it?

Ron, I just checked the TDI site and cannot find any details on the pre-reqs for deco/advanced nitrox classes. I seem to remember something about AOW being a prereq but am not sure. Might want to call your local TDI training facility to get the scoop. I had my AOW when I took deco.

I think a lot of it has to do with how comfortable you feel about going diving after your OW class and checkout dives. I didn't feel comfortable AT ALL, and went straight into AOW just to get some more dives with an instructor. The only dive in AOW that I thought was really a learning experience was the navigation dive. The rest were just experience, and it was needed.

If you feel better than I did, and especially if you have access to experienced buddies who can continue to give you some tips, you're probably just as well off diving, and going on to do further instruction with someone who teaches what you want to be taught.

I have read on this board that there are a few dive operators who require an AOW card for certain dives, but I don't think they restrict that to PADI.

Ron there are few things that everyone on this board would agree on, but I think one of them is that the instructor him/herself is the key when choosing your training, not the agency. Find the best teachers you can and learn from them.

My understanding is that SDI's version of AOW is Advanced Diver Developement, which requires four specialties and 25 dives. This looks like a Good Thing, but will obviously take a little longer. I just wondering if doing the PADI AOW right away will be worth the course fee. I'll be doing a dry suit course with John when my suit comes in and be able to confirm that we hit it off as student/teacher.

In this situation I doubt there is much advantage to be gained by shelling out for PADI AOW instead of or even in addition to SDI ADD. Find the best instructors. Give them your money.

I am taking my AOW the end of June. I have 50 dives and just finished my Intro to Tech Diving class. Personally, I joined up with a great dive club, and learned a lot of useful stuff from seasoned divers. I took the tech class because I want to take the Intro to Cavern and Cave next spring.

I started with a PADI resort course. Got hosed around with a PADI shop on upgrading to OW. I needed one dive and to take the test. So, I went over to SSI and got my OW class. I dove for a while having a great time and watching, listening and practicing skills. I took the tech class to work on critical skills such as team diving, bouancy, trim, reels, SMB's etc. (NAUI)

I'm taking the AOW now, because I'm ready for doing the additional skills, mostly the ocean wreck dives. I like NAUI methods, but more so, the two instructors I have. Maybe you should sit down, set some goals, and see which agency(ies) meet your needs. It may be one or more than one. But definitely, set some goals for the next year.

But more so, ENJOY yourself! Since you are from NY, check out our website. We have a lot of guys from NY diving in our club.

If you met someone that is "in tune" with where you want to go..

Start a relationship with that person, and explore the avenues for learning. I am sure they will not let you violate standards...

There is nothing wrong with getting certs from different instructors / agencies.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'll put PADI AOW on hold for a while. My OW instructor, Mike Gayle, was great, and very patient with my mask issues. I am developing some frustrations with the PADI program and would rather avoid paying for more cards that won't get me much in return.

beezwax:
Ron there are few things that everyone on this board would agree on, but I think one of them is that the instructor him/herself is the key when choosing your training, not the agency. Find the best teachers you can and learn from them.

I disagree and I disagree strongly. The agency writes the standards and most instructors follow them to the letter. While an instructor can make a big difference, very few actually do. Most are not aware there is another way than the way they were taught to teach by their agency. There are huge differences in standards from one agency to another.

Having said that, I agree that when you find a program (regardless if the difference is from the instructor or the agency) that fits you better than the one through which you've been progressing, you should switch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom