How Halcyon lost my biz to FredT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a b/p & w from Halcyon earlier this year. This was a great switch that started my journey into the dark side. But that's another discussion. After diving the b/p for a few months, I noticed that the webbing was quickly wearing off. Worst, my wing got punctured in several places (in each case the plate was rubbing against it). I brought the whole thing back to the LDS where I had gotten it. They sent it to Halcyon. After nearly two months, I got a new Pioneer wing that I paid for at wholesale price, a free piece of webbing and…that's it. During those two months, the LDS let me borrow for free their rental b/p anytime I wanted. It was not a major annoyance per se, but considering what I had invested, we're far from a fair deal.

Halcyon's half-baked position is that, as we all know, the wing is not covered by the warranty. They did give me the free webbing, acknowledging that the plate had damaged it, yet they refused to re-finish it. If nothing was done, I was going to need another wing in 6 months…

Meanwhile, I had posted about this "ordeal" on the board and received some valuable tips, including detailed instructions from FredT on how to re-finish the plate myself. Well, I didn't have the tools or the craftsmanship for that matter. But since I had decided to get a weighted STA, I traded a few emails with FredT and sent him my plate. Well, a couple of weeks later, I got my plate back with nice and smooth edges, plus the STA. It was a bit more money in the pit, but now I feel that my investment is protected (and it didn't get into Halcyon's pockets).

Halcyon may make great stuff, but I got a lemon and they didn't do much to correct the problem. FredT provided a valuable service. He'll definitely get my business again.

Diving with the weighted STA was great. I only used 6# of lead. It made arching my back effortless and painless. If it weren't for my drysuit and the 57° water, it would have felt like tropical diving. Definitely one of the better tips I got from the board.

Well, good. Im glad FREDT took care of you. I have a few products of his as well, and I think he is great!!! Nice products, very well made, and no sharp edges on my aluminum BP (got this used, but in good shape). I also got a v weight from him also (very nice) and a lt STA (used, but still in great shape). I think Halcyon has gotten a little too big for their britches, and they need to go back to charm school and learn to deal with their customers a little better. Oh, it would also help if they made better quality products too...

So Arnaud, you experienced one of my concerns with the Halcyon rig... punctures in the wing. I'm holding off on the transition to BP/W until my trusty old X-Tek backpack and wing die an honorable death. Maybe by that time, Halcyon will be Doing It Right!

Dr. Bill

I'm glad I stumbled onto this board.

How sharp do you guys mean by "sharp"

My SS BP from Halcyon probably has a 1/16" radius on all the edges. I'm wondering if I should take some precautionary measures, maybe a waterproof spray on rubber material.

baenglish73:
I'm glad I stumbled onto this board.

How sharp do you guys mean by "sharp"

My SS BP from Halcyon probably has a 1/16" radius on all the edges. I'm wondering if I should take some precautionary measures, maybe a waterproof spray on rubber material.

I've had mine for a year and about 100 dives - not so much as a tiny rub anywhere on the wing.

Arnaud experienced what some BP/W owners have experienced - jagged plate edge cutting his wing. I am experiencing what many thousands of others have experienced - no issue at all.

In my mind, the real issue was the way Halcyon handled it. I have the privilege of knowing this guy - he's careful with his equipment. He doesn't toss it around, he packs it carefully. This was simply a manufacturer's defect that, in my mind, could have been handled better. Its not a serial defect that should stir up visions of a defective product manufactured poorly and foisted on a hungry, gullible public.

In Halcyon's defense, I think their position on Wing Warranty is solid. Its not a manufacturer's defect if a guy drops his plate or bounces off a rock, creates a burr, is remiss in noticing it and continues to dive until the diver-incurred sharp edge cuts a non-defective wing. However, I believe if the plate arrives sharp, and is returned to Halcyon, it should be re-finished at no charge to the diver.

I've had one experience with Halcyon CS (with my light) and it was fast, courteous and excellent.

K

drbill:
So Arnaud, you experienced one of my concerns with the Halcyon rig... punctures in the wing. I'm holding off on the transition to BP/W until my trusty old X-Tek backpack and wing die an honorable death. Maybe by that time, Halcyon will be Doing It Right!

Dr. Bill

Bill, those punctures can really happen with any type or brand of BC's. The new Eclipse wing really looks like solid material, though. My Pioneer definitely doesn't look as heavy duty but is still very much okay.

The problem was the plate and the lack of customer service. Also, FredT explained that the electropolish done by Halcyon leaves a mirror finish and a few sharp edges sometimes. Bottom line, don't bother about that shiny chrome look and go for FredT's b/p. You can get the wing from Halcyon or OxyCheq.

baenglish73, it "felt" sharp when rubbing the nail against the edges. It was sharp enough that the plate cut into 1/3 of the webbing's width. It was sharp enough that the wing got punctured or severely worn off in the 2 bottom corners (where it rubs against the plate). All in 4 months of use. In addition, the wing was punctured by the plate in my gear bag on each blue side and in the back. The interesting part is that all the punctures happen along a sort of circular line, along the bottom of the plate.

how much effort does it take to buff the edges down

i know fred-t says it takes a while by hand, there's got to be a fast, efficient, mechanized way to do it.

for what you pay for a new plate, either in the manufacturing or in the finishing process, they should be able to get the job done.

it'll probably take some competition to force them to do it. but that won't happen until bp's become a mass-produced commodity. or when someone other than oms/halcyon offers them.

i am trying some duct tape where the plate contacts the webbing. but new webbing is pretty cheap.

dt

dtdiver:
I am trying some duct tape where the plate contacts the webbing. but new webbing is pretty cheap.

dt

On my first dives with my Halcyon Plate, it cut into the Webbing. Of course, I freaked out. I later learned that the minor cut caused in no way effected the performance of the webbing...

In my freaked-out state, I un-threaded it and threaded on some bicycle innertube and have nad no problems ever since. You might want to consider this over the duct tape thing.

K

Mot2vation, what a great idea! Thanks for posting a picture, too, so we could see exactly how you used bicycle innertubing.

I ended up removing the innertube from the bottom slots and using keepers. The innertube didn't hold the webbing in place as firmly as I wanted. But I have a FredT finished plate and the edges are not self-locking.

Back
Top Bottom