How is the diving in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trying to compare Hawaii to Cozumel is like apples to oranges and really not fair. Each has it's own unique attraction. Cozumel is known for great drift diving and beautiful hard and soft corals. Hawaii has great wrecks and plenty of turtles and other life. I have enjoyed each one and other places such as San Diego, North Carolina Outer Banks and the Florida Keys. Experience all of them if you can and don't try to compare, but remember the unique aspects of each.

Well, I guess it's clear that opinions vary just a tiny tiny bit huh? DISCLAIMER: I've been diving in Hawaii for 14 years and am addicted so my opinions will reflect that just a touch.

I'm with Scottie and his feelings about reviews based on a handful of dives. At the same time I realize that you can only review based on what you know. I also can't agree more that each island has unique qualities and highlights. You're doing the right thing and reaching out for info which many visitors don't have time or the avenues to do. Knowing what a dive destination has to offer sets you up for exciting and rewarding experiences wherever you go. Scubaboard is awesome as a resource in this way.

While Cozumel vs. Hawaii may be like apples vs. carrots (oranges to overused) they are both fantastic destinations. Some of the complaints you here about destinations are not necessarily based on the location. What I mean by that is some complaints (valid as they may be) can be avoided with research. If you want unique locations there are often shops/DM's that cater to or at least consider those desires. If you want a small dive group - seek out a company that offers that. Private dives are often also available and not always cost prohibitive. Another thing that many divers don't realize is that you can request DM's that you have heard good things about online (SB, tripadvisor.com etc).

Sorry if I'm leaning off topic - my intent is to help with some angles that set you up for success.

Hawaii is such a unique location in that it is so isolated that as a result we have the highest endemic ratio of fish anywhere in the world. That is incredibly exciting for those seeking things they'll see nowhere else in the world! At the same time, being isolated means that comparatively speaking we are not a "fishy" location and massive schooling fish is not to be expected. The turtle diving here is world class! If you like diving with turtles - you just simply can't be disappointed with Hawaii. We have great inverts - and as a nudibranch junkie I love our little mollusks. Vis' can vary island to island for sure with the best consistent vis' being found on the Kona coast. That is not to say that the other islands are poor by any means. I feel comfortable saying that visitors can expect to be diving in the 50-80ft range commonly throughout the islands with certain dives/locations well over 100ft many days. Hawaii has great shore diving as well with Maui being a personal favorite. There are locations were you can dive with whitetip reef sharks, mantas, frogfish, see wrecks, deep vertical walls, lava tubes...... It really has something for everyone.

Check out marinelifephotography.com, seaslugsofhawaii.com, Hawaiisfishes.com

You can send me a personal message with any specific questions that you may have and I will be happy to help with anything you are curious about. I hope you'll find your way to the islands and see how fantastic the diving here is!!

Scottie the duck (Oahu) and ShakaDoug (Maui) seem very helpful too and I'm sure they would extend the same offer

Hope my little rant helps....have a fantastic day

Well I’ve never dove in the Caribbean, but I have dove Maui on a few trips. I did have this same feeling, on my trip to Maui in Jan, last year I was in the Maldives and it was amazing. The fist dive back in Maui I was a bit underwhelmed. Then I got into what diving in Maui is to me and that is looking for the unusual things and harder to find things, in the Maldives I never did this you just look around and there is so much that on one trip you never really have to dig into looking around. I’m sure there is tons to see in the Maldives if you spend the time looking for those small and unusual things I just didn’t when I was there. So all that said, if you are expecting diving like Coz then you will likely be disappointed but if you change your diving and expectations you will have a blast I have. I’ll tell I don’t plan on going back to Maui again for a few years because there are other places I want to go, but I already miss Maui, and know that one day I’ll be back.

Back
Top Bottom