How is the diving in Key Largo in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunshinecat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking at going to Key Largo in late July for a few days. I know that it is technically hurricane season, but isn't the highest risk of hurricanes in the fall? Will I have a good chance of decent weather and good diving during this time, or should I postpone my trip until after hurricane season?

We had gone in March, and had bad weather and no diving for a couple of days, then got one day of shallow diving in choppy water.

We've gone in late Aug. a few times, and just had bad luck the previous times with bad weather two times. Only last year did we have good weather and I finally dove the Spiegel. That was a fantastic dive. Going back again this Aug., taking son and daughter too. Hope to get them some diving lessons and myself some good diving.

Hurricaine's can mess up marine conditions (obviously) but I've had good experience in July, August and Sept in the Keys. I'm heading down for a long weekend in July and another in August and yet another in Sept, so am confident enough that the odds of good marine conditions are high that I'm voting with my wallet (already prepaid for hotels and cabins at the state park).

Personally, I'd go ahead & go(ie make your plans)......No one, even the NWS, can predict what storms etc will be 'there'......Remember, predicting weather is a crap shoot......good luck....

I have been several times in June and July. It has always been pretty calm with decent visibility. Of course, if an early hurricane decides to visit or even gets somewhere close, things would change.

For the past several months it has been windy in Florida. However a few weeks ago that has changed and it has been very nice. The weather in July is usually pretty good barring a hurricane. I would suggest morning dives because there is usually an afternoon Thunderstorm.

The wife and i have been thinking about diving in Key Largo and this was a question we had as well. Good information.

your other big question would be where to stay --- the keys can get pretty pricy for lodging -- i was seeing min of $100/night in key largo for mid july.

Typically, winds from the SE at 10-12 with 1-2 ft seas, exc vis. The only caveat is the late PM T-showers, as mentioned. All in all, best time of year.

your other big question would be where to stay --- the keys can get pretty pricy for lodging -- i was seeing min of $100/night in key largo for mid july.
If you don't mind driving an extra 30 minutes, stay in Florida City for about $60-$65 a night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom