How is the new Mexico rule about accepting dollars affecting people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also emailed Scuba Mau yesterday and they said "no problem bringing US money". Mau said it was a problem on the main but they haven't had any problems in Coz and it is fine to pay and tip in cash even paying w/$100 is ok.! 10 days and counting!

Thanks Judydivescoz for the Santander location, I haven't used that before.

If the U.S. really wanted to put a dent in the drug war, the government would change the paper currency, and require everyone to trade the old notes for the new ones.

Yep, that really shut down the black market in Vietnam. NOT

If the U.S. really wanted to put a dent in the drug war, the government would change the paper currency, and require everyone to trade the old notes for the new ones.
That would be a temporary "fix" (pun intended) at the very best. The violence in Mexico is a result of the US's War On Drugs; you can't expect to declare war without the other side following suit. It is a policy originally intended to get votes for politicians, nothing more, and it has backfired.

The only issue I ran into was when I had received a US $10 change that was then refused by my taxi driver as it had a small tear in the bottom of the bill....

That's nothing new. Apparently the bank won't honor them. I've traded out torn bills for whole - with much appreciation - since it's no problem here.

That's nothing new. Apparently the bank won't honor them. I've traded out torn bills for whole - with much appreciation - since it's no problem here.
Just know who you're trading with. Wouldn't want to get home and then learn you got stuck with torn counterfeit bills.

Just know who you're trading with. Wouldn't want to get home and then learn you got stuck with torn counterfeit bills.
Tend to bring my brain along - even when on vacation...

Counterfeit money on Coz is widespread.

I know first hand of an incident where the guest of an upscale hotel paid for some services with a $100 bill at the hotel's service counter. Part of his change was a crisp new $50 bill which he put in his swim trunks, then headed out to the reef for some diving.

After the dives, he pulled the $50 bill out of his pocket and it fell apart. It was counterfeit. Apparenly new genuine American dollars don't fall apart when they get wet because they have a high rag content. They may fade and thin and little, but don't fall apart.

The gal who was leading the trip went to the hotel service counter and let them have it. They replaced what was left of the phony $50 with a real one.

Quality printers have made counterfeiting USDollars and Travelers Checks much too common. I guess it might be good to take a bill checking marker on trips, then leave it as a gift. With crappy exchange rate & fees that Wells Fargo allows on cards, I like to take an assortment of smaller bills and not deal with refunds. Where to keep my cash stash was my challenge on the last trip.

We never take 50's or 100's with us to Coz. Just not in the habit of using large bills for the mostly small purchases we make, and I've heard many places won't take them anyway. From what I've seen, the people of Cozumel are more afraid of us giving them counterfeits, than the other way around. But that may be because we frequent many small mom & pop places, and not the big tourist haunts.

This is some handy info, if you're worried about taking a counterfeit bill ....

How to Detect Counterfeit US Money

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom