How kick /swim / fin backwards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a little video clip of one practical use of backfinning.
Enjoy...
Rick

ihunter once bubbled...
Any pointers on these kicks?
The best way to learn this is with relatively small ScubaPro or Turtle fins, snorkeling on the surface. You can learn this in a pool.

Frog kick forwards with only your ankles, while on the surface, face down, breathing through your snorkel.

Now, just reverse the action of the frog kick, with only your ankles. You will move backwards!

Then frog kick with one ankle at a time, to get the helicopter turn.

Repeat this with the other ankle to turn the other way.

Then try the forward frog kick with one ankle and the reverse frog kick with the other ankle at the same time, and that will give you a really powerful helicopter turn. Thats the hardest part.

After playing for awhile, frog kick finning backwards with your ankles should become easy, second nature. This technique works great for photography, for attaching cave line, for observing things close up, etc.

Its just like learning to ride a bicycle. Trial and error.

USMC Diver once bubbled...
Just turn around and swim the other way.
Marine, I am actually starting to worry about you a little now. :)

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
Here's a little video clip of one practical use of backfinning.
Enjoy...
Rick
Where'd you take it?
E.

Nice shooting Rick! I noticed there was no shift in bouyancy and trim when switching to the backward kick..... nice job.

Ss

Epinephelus once bubbled...

Where'd you take it?
E.
Alice in Wonderland, Bonaire, March this year.
Rick

That's a great training video for backing up....if you are the green moray.

Basically, the back kick is the frog kick in reverse, but done very delicately.

Now that I've said that, I've been practicing it for 2 years and I still can't get it. Please send a video showing the diver, not the eel!

Can anyone tell me how you achieve finning backwards!
I'm guessing its a kind of back frog kick, although not sure how much use this would be as usually when required I find I'm in a confined space,wreck or tunnel !
A video link would be "Great", or secondary a description!
Thanks/Steve

There are videos on the www.fifthD.com website as well as others. Watching videos and even getting descriptions can help but nothing but practice will get you there... and even then you might find that you get it and then lose it and then get it again, ect. But with practice (muscle memory) it will come so don't give up.

Basically it is a reverse frog kick and would be especially helpful in the confined spaces you mentioned along with helicopter turns.

The key (IMO) is moving your fins backwards with minimum drag to load for the reverse kick... otherwise you end up propelling yourself forward.

Most folks I watch try this have their fin tips pointing up instead of straight back. When they push their fins back to get ready for the reverse kick the blades push against the water and propel them forward. You need to be able to knife your fins tip first into the water.

Uncle Pug:
There are videos on the www.fifthD.com website as well as others.

Thanks Uncle Pug, interesting web site, lot of good info.

Brian

yep thanks uncle pug , just what I needed !
I was surprised how quickly he moves back in the video !
Forgot to mention that I use splits which will probably make it a tad more difficult , or maybe impossible !
Still I can least try !
Thanks again/Steve

Back
Top Bottom