How long does a Reg last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine last about 2 years most of the time. But then again I never clean or overhaul anything. Run it until it breaks, give it to one of my dive buddies that love to work on gear and buy a new one.

TheRedHead:
I think a more appropriate question would be "Do older regulators compare favorably with new ones?"

In some ways they're better; my 25 yr old metal case balanced adjustable 2nd stage breathes at least as well as my G250, is better with drymouth, and is more durable.

I think there's more hype, smoke, and mirrors with regulator sales and marketing than in any other aspect of scuba gear. Most divers are (rightly so) extremely concerned with regulator reliability and function, and also, in this day and age we're all somewhat programmed to believe that the latest and greatest device is the best thing since....well, since the last latest and greatest.

I replaced my Dacor Pacer this year after 25 years of service with a genesis titanium only because the parts are not available anymore. No real difference in breathing but it is nice to go from a reg that weighs 1.5 pounds to .5 pounds. Less jaw fatigue. There is a lot of hype I agree on new regs. The genesis sold for $1,000 new but I bought the 2nd stage off Ebay for $80 and the 1st off the internet for $159. Going to keep the old Pacer for sentimental value.

Bob3:
Both myself & the guy that does all my reg rebuilding are still using our +30 yr old Poseidon Cyklons, even though we can use just about anything we want.
I suspect that my kids will be passing them along to their kids, etc etc etc.

If your avatar is any indication - I do not doubt that what you say is true!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom