• Newbie - my gear is still brightly coloured and scuff free

Votes: 26 19.0%
  • Reasonable length of time - none of my gear matches any more

Votes: 24 17.5%
  • Quite a while - long enough to forget and relearn how to use tables

Votes: 45 32.8%
  • Long time - I remember when the first horse collar BCDs came in

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Forever - I remember using double hose regulators!

Votes: 24 17.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just a baby in scuba years....but my gear is scuffed up (I make sure to use it as much as I can) and not brightly colored. I've been certified since June of 2008, so definitely not a "reasonable length of time", but long enough to know I've found a hobby I will enjoy till I'm no longer mobile!

Actually I have 2 Aquamasters...may part with my inherited aquamaster!

GypsyJim...

Where was your checkout dive (remember the single checkout dive)?

I put Newbie as I have only been certified just over a year. I have done 160 dives/144 hrs underwater since then, which is I guess more than most would have after their first year but compared to many of the people I know who dive I am not very experienced at all.

However, none of my gear matches anymore and is quite scuffed.

I guess you could call me a "Moldy Oldie". I started diving in 1968, finally getting certified with the YMCA in 1973. Started teaching in 1988 and I'm still hanging around. Double hose regulator :lotsalove:, no octopus:no:, no gauges:no:. What's a BCD? :rofl3:

Began diving in 1957 as a 13 year old, two hose regulator, no instruction, no SPG, no BC available, you just read the book, no buddys so I started solo. Got YMCA certified in 1970.

GypsyJim...

Where was your checkout dive (remember the single checkout dive)?

Lake George, NY, early spring. See photo and avatar. Quite chilly topside, and my first encounter with thermoclines!!!

After all these years I remember most the 7 weeks of training and pool work, those nasty Navy tables, the "ditch and don" exercises and most of all those thermoclines in springtime Lake George!

Made my first dive in 1956, two hose regulator, no instruction, no SPG, no BC available, you just read the book ... Hey! Is there an echo in here?

Actually my Dad helped me read it (The Science of Skin and Scuba) but I helped re-write it (The New Science of Skin and Scuba).:D

add a 1 & a 9 to the number in my handle(1985).......wife & our oldest then too.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom