How long is acceptable for a wing to hold air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will do a bath water test tomorrow to see if I can find a slow/small leak

Any BC that shows ANY amount of air loss over any length of time, must not be used and should be repaired, no if or buts about it. Losing air is radically different from air compression due to temperature changes (air temp. gets lower during storage than when BC was inflated).
And that is entirely your opinion. No manufacturer agrees with that. Nothing is perfect and nobody expects it to be. Well, other than you apparently.

And that is entirely your opinion. No manufacturer agrees with that. Nothing is perfect and nobody expects it to be. Well, other than you apparently.

You mean that it is OK for a BC to leak air? What manufacturers say that it is OK to use their BC if it is leaking air? Name one please.

You mean that it is OK for a BC to leak air? What manufacturers say that it is OK to use their BC if it is leaking air? Name one please.
The same number of manufacturers who say it can't.
There isn't one out there who will warranty a wing because it isn't firm at three days. I have never seen a spec for amount of acceptable leak. You want to know why?
Because it doesn't matter.
If it holds firm for an hour, it will never come into play over the course of a dive.
If you want it to hold for three days, that is fine, but no manufacturer says that it should or will.

There isn't one out there who will warranty a wing because it isn't firm at three days.

You are confusing "leaking" with temperature affects on volume.

I have never seen a spec for amount of acceptable leak. You want to know why?
Because it doesn't matter.
No, you don't see it because there is no acceptable leak. If it leaks a little now, it will leak more tomorrow or the day after or when it is squeezed or when least expected.

If it holds firm for an hour, it will never come into play over the course of a dive.
If you want it to hold for three days, that is fine, but no manufacturer says that it should or will.
That's not true. Mfg's I deal with say to test the BC overnight, if any leaks detected, there is an issue.

The moment you have any doubt about any of your main gear [BC, regulators] this is a problem, fix it, and you will not have that thought in the back of your mind [when you should be thinking about your dive plan, gas etc].

I usually fully inflated the wing(no BP attached) and leave it overnight.
If it is still standing rigidly then it is OK.

You are confusing "leaking" with temperature affects on volume.

That's not true. Mfg's I deal with say to test the BC overnight, if any leaks detected, there is an issue.
I'm not confused at all. My background leaves me adequately versed on pressure temperature relations.

What manufacturer do you deal with that will replace a BC under warranty because it isn't firm overnight?
I don't mean they recommend the customer replace it, but they will replace it out of pocket?

And I apologize, I assumed you would use some common sense when I posted. I will be more clear.
I don't mean that the wing will be flat on the ground in the morning. I mean that it isn't rock hard like it was when you inflated it. A 40 pound wing holds less than a cf of air, to go from turgid to still full but not hard overnight would be a loss so small it would be borderline undetectable.
If your wing is going flat in a few hours, yes, it will be a noticeable leak and you should fix it. That isn't the same thing.

What's a BCD or wing bladder made of? A bag of nylon and vulcanized rubber, right? And 3 or 4 extremely large valves (in proportion to the size of the bladder) and flexible tubing.

What's a tire made of? Nylon and vulcanized rubber (and metal belts & aramid fibers), mechanically secured to a wheel, right? And one tiny metal valve, usually sealed with a semi-permanent cap.

It's "normal" or "acceptable" for a tire to loose 1 ~ 2PSI/month (1.25 ~ 2.5%). People don't replace their tires because of this.

Oh, this might be worth a read rather than flogging this thread further:

BCD pressure test

I don't dive a BP/W...... Zeagle Ranger (cold drysuit) and Zeagle Stiletto (warm water) for me. I periodically inflate both and just leave overnight and if all good and still fully inflated the next morning that's fine by me...

Even more importantly, as a boat owner I have 6 Class V inflatable PFD's onboard. All of them are CO2 cartridge fired. Four of them are auto inflate once they hit the water and 2 of them are manual inflate by activating the "Jerk Here" tab. If you're on my boat, you're wearing a PFD. They all also have an oral inflation option. I take all six of them at least annually and inflate them and also leave overnight...

BTW.....in WA, a Class V needs to actually be worn in order to qualify as a CG required PFD.

Back
Top Bottom