How many folks have the Canon 20D?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Canon 20D and I'm trying hard to get the courage to buy the Ikelite housing and strobe for it. Does anybody else here have experience with this set up? Who has the best deal on the housing/strobe? The aluminum housings are too expensive for me.

I've only seen two reviews for this equipment (yes, Matt Segal was one of them). Does anybody else use this camera underwater with the Ike housing?

I will be...I pick mine up when I get back to the US in Sept. Can't wait!

Ikelite is a great product at a great price. As you know, Matt uses one as do several others I know. Check out Ryan at ryan@reefphoto.com and his web site at www.reefphoto.com for ideas on prices and also with any questions you might have. He's very good at making sure you get what YOU need rather than a bunch of extra stuff that just looks cool :wink: Be aware - he is away diving this week and internet access isn't daily, as far as I know, but he will get back to you!

You can also check out places like B&H Photo - reputable and often have a good rang of Ike products in stock.

I will be using Inon strobes, but Ike 125s are a great combo with this system.

www.wetpixel.com and www.digitaldiver.net are two sites to check out for other users of this system.

Go for it and have fun!!

Yes, wetpixel.com has a number of users with this system. For now, it is probably the most popular Canon dSLR camera for underwater use. Ikelite is a very solid housing with excellent service. The only slight disadvantage is the size of the housing in comparison to its aluminum competitor.
It is a big investment so make sure that's what you want. There are plenty of rumors/speculation about 20D replacement coming out by the end of the year which most likely would require different housing. If you are one of those people that like to upgrade and keep up then it might be wise to wait (of course by the time housing becomes available, the next new Canon thing is probably just going to be around the cornor). If you already pretty much decided to stay with 20D for awhile then why not.

Alcina, you are going to use Inon with your Ikelite 20D housing?
I assume you got the housing with eTTL converter or whatever alphabet TTL that 20D uses. But I guess you already have the Inon strobes already anyhow.

Now that Inon Z220 is history, until Inon comes out with a new replacement, I think Ikelite D125 is probably the best deal, especially with TTL compatibility with Ikelite housing.

ssra - I'm not going Ikelite for the housing :wink: and I'm adding another Inon 220 even though Inon isn't going to make them anymore...there's nothing out there that I feel is equal at this time. And they last forever :wink:

As for the new Canon - you can wait forever on the next generation....there will always be something bigger, better, faster, neater, etc coming out. The 20D should serve you well for a long while...

alcina:
ssra - I'm not going Ikelite for the housing :wink:

Oh! hmmm, my bad, for some reasons I thought you are in the Ikelite camp :) , well, any hint? :)

It is true that trying to keep up with the current model is a pain especially since Canon product cycle is incredibly fast now aday. However the rumor of the EOS 5D which now appeared to be false certainly made one stop and think that a little waiting might not hurt :) . Luckily with my Nikon, I should be fashionably current for another couple of years, just in time for me to grow another kidney to sell :D

and I'm adding another Inon 220 even though Inon isn't going to make them anymore...there's nothing out there that I feel is equal at this time. And they last forever

I am very disppointed in you! First you pick the wrong camera, now a wrong strobe as well :D Let see if you pick the right housing :06: hmm 20D, as far as I know, there are Subal, Sealux, UK-Germany and Aquatica. I guess you are going aluminum!

ssra30:
Oh! hmmm, my bad, for some reasons I thought you are in the Ikelite camp :) , well, any hint? :)

It is true that trying to keep up with the current model is a pain especially since Canon product cycle is incredibly fast now aday. However the rumor of the EOS 5D which now appeared to be false certainly made one stop and think that a little waiting might not hurt :) . Luckily with my Nikon, I should be fashionably current for another couple of years, just in time for me to grow any kidney to sell :D

I am very disppointed in you! First you pick the wrong camera, now a wrong strobe as well :D Let see if you pick the right housing :06: hmm 20D, as far as I know, there are Subal, Sealux, UK-Germany and Aquatica. I guess you are going aluminum!

the 5D was nearly right, only it is the 5X and its going to be a Nikon, there is a lot of talk on dpreview of the pending D200 and 5X.

apparently Nikon have registered the D200 name.

it would be really nice if they put it in the d70 body, they would get a lot more sales!

but not much chance of that i fear!!

clive francis:
the 5D was nearly right, only it is the 5X and its going to be a Nikon, there is a lot of talk on dpreview of the pending D200 and 5X.

apparently Nikon have registered the D200 name.

it would be really nice if they put it in the d70 body, they would get a lot more sales!

but not much chance of that i fear!!

One thing that so many users of the D100 do NOT like about the D70 is the more plastic body. You can bet that the D200 will be in a higher end body, my vote would be for them to use the F100 alum body, but I kinda doubt that will happen. I've not been spending much time on the DPREVIEW forums. Just too much trash talk, idiots, canon vs. nikon threads, etc... maybe I'll head over there for a few days to add to the speculation :crafty:

RonFrank:
One thing that so many users of the D100 do NOT like about the D70 is the more plastic body. You can bet that the D200 will be in a higher end body, my vote would be for them to use the F100 alum body, but I kinda doubt that will happen.

Whatever improvement on the body, I hope it will get bigger viewfinder and better AF system. I

I've not been spending much time on the DPREVIEW forums. Just too much trash talk, idiots, canon vs. nikon threads, etc... maybe I'll head over there for a few days to add to the speculation :crafty:
Then you can go and speculate with the Nikonians crowd without having to wade through tons of trash talk then :)

It seems that lots of D200 supposedly leaked spec right now is probably made up by someone in retaliation to supposedly leaked EOS 5D just to keep speculations even for both camps :wink:
All I want to a cheaper backup body in D2 bodies but don't really want D2H or D2Hs!

bertschb:
I have a Canon 20D and I'm trying hard to get the courage to buy the Ikelite housing and strobe for it. Does anybody else here have experience with this set up? Who has the best deal on the housing/strobe? The aluminum housings are too expensive for me.

I've only seen two reviews for this equipment (yes, Matt Segal was one of them). Does anybody else use this camera underwater with the Ike housing?

I now dive my 20D in an Ikelite housing with twin 125s. I use a 10-22 efs and an 8" dome port for wide angle and the 60mm efs macro with flat port for the close up stuff. I am thrilled with the system. Check out the "Inaugural 20D dive" and "Conch Repuplic Dive" albums in my gallery for some shots with this rig. My main gallery has shots of my grandaughter and grandson in their pool. I have a dry tortugas trip coming up in September and hope to post some more pics. If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Alcina: You are going to love your new rig once you get it set up. I know you will put it to good (and frequent) use. I want to be the first to see those whale shark pics you are going to take.

---Bob

Post Script - I usually buy my camera gear from B&H, but my best deal this time out came from Helix in Chicago. Ask for Dennis their under water photo guy.

---Bob

Back
Top Bottom