how many instructors using BP/W's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In an earlier part of the thread, Sydney_Diver posted

"wings are a pain in the ass in the pool and in shallow depths of the Open Water Class"

S_D, or anyone else, will you please elaborate? I'm considering bp/w as my first equipment purchase, and I'd like to know more. The wing is difficult to handle in shallows?

Thanks,
Dave O

I will be switching to a BP and Harness for all of my diving and for teaching. I tell my students that not everyone you dive with will always have the same configuration or equiptment that you do so, you need to get used to the idea of seeing various setups. They will also be able to see the difference between BP and Harness, Jacket Style and Back Flotation style BCs, and make a more informed choice later on when shopping for equiptment. If anything, I think that using a BP and Harness with students can only help them in the long run.

Originally posted by DaveO
S_D, or anyone else, will you please elaborate? I'm considering bp/w as my first equipment purchase, and I'd like to know more. The wing is difficult to handle in shallows?

Thanks,
Dave O

No Dave,

It is not difficult at all. I was playing around in 5 fsw horizontal at the end of my last dive with no prpblems. I am not sure where that referance of difficluties emerged from but do not rule out the rig for that reason.

The wing is NOT difficult to handle in the shallows.

Well just for the record, every PADI course director I have spoken to highly recomended not to use a BP/W for either the IDC or the IE. The reasons they listed are numerous, but rescue skills seems to be the biggest one.

After I complete the IDC / IE I'll decied if i want to teach in one or not.

Are BP/Wings really a pain on the surface?
I am very comfortable in the water and dont think a back boyancy issue will be a problem but does it actually tip you face forward?

Originally posted by MartiniTime
Well just for the record, every PADI course director I have spoken to highly recomended not to use a BP/W for either the IDC or the IE. The reasons they listed are numerous, but rescue skills seems to be the biggest one.

After I complete the IDC / IE I'll decied if i want to teach in one or not.
can you elaborate on the rescue skills issue? Thanks

Originally posted by java
Are BP/Wings really a pain on the surface?
I am very comfortable in the water and dont think a back boyancy issue will be a problem but does it actually tip you face forward?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! That is the biggest myth. It actually makes me laugh!!!!!!!!!!!

Back inflation can tip you forward... you need to make sure you compensate correctly for it so it doesn't happen. If I have only an aluminum 80, I usually have to position my weight belt "just right". It is way easy with a steel tank, and there is no compensation needed.

My NAUI ITC did not reccomend one type of BC over another... some just suggested that you have the same type of BC that your students will have. However, my Chute2 is a back inflate, and I really have no problems teaching students who are wearing a vest style.

As for rescue... the BP and wings ARE harder to remove. No doubt about it. Fortunately, usually by the time a person has progressed to diving with a BP and wings, they are not a likely candidate for rescue. Albeit much maligned by many who prefer a BP and wings, quick releases make removing most BCs a breeze. I have yet to see a QR fail in the water, so I am not one to "dis" their reliability. Still, if the divers you hang with use BP and wings, then you should practice rescue with THAT type of gear.

Personally, I try to make as few waves as possible with my gear configuration whenever I take a class (my odd humor gets me in enough trouble as it is). My ITC did not seem to like DIN and steel 120s so I switched over to a yoke and an AL80... I still keep that set-up for the pool. As much as I do NOT see a problem with the "bungeed wings of death", my cavern/cave instructor to be sees them as anathema. OK, I bought another "unbungeed" set of OMS wings to appease my instructor. It's usually easier to swim with the current... stop trying to fight it!

Originally posted by NetDoc
As much as I do NOT see a problem with the "bungeed wings of death", my cavern/cave instructor to be sees them as anathema. OK, I bought another "unbungeed" set of OMS wings to appease my instructor. It's usually easier to swim with the current... stop trying to fight it!

:eek: :eek:

WHAT? You bought some non-bungeed wings!!!???!!! LOL.

What aganecy are you going through for cavern and cave, and who is your instructor?

DaveO,
Like stated earlier, I can find no problem with wings in shallow depth. Some of the caves we dive in have nice long spring runs, Ginnie for example. I like to stay submerged and swim the 5-6 foot depth for the entire spring run, and play around when I am done. It is not any different than being at 50 feet.

Back
Top Bottom