How many of u have quit smoking because of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman:
thanks guys...

wayward son, good suggestion... too bad cigarettes are lot less expensive here than the states!!! But anyways, I'll start making a wish list of scuba goodies..

david - I see we share the same passions... sushi and asian women? lol

Hey Pakman, you could read my title, cool. :D
Good luck on quitting, many here on the board have and are great supporters for those trying.

You're going to have to break that pattern. At least for a bit you are going to have to NOT go out for drinks.

I quit -after 20 years- cold turkey. The 1st weekend was planned like this:

Friday at 4:30pm - Last smoke before going home.

The truck was already full of gas, no excuse to stop at the store. No smokes at home, no tobacco of any kind in my house or truck. The plan was to go home friday after work & stay there until coming to work monday morning. If I didn't leave home I would have no way to put a smoke in my hand. I also reasoned that if I could get trhough the weekend, that was enough to prove to me that I could do it & did not have to smoke.

That was 11 1/2 years ago, and I have not had a smoke since that friday at 4:30.

But if you go & do the things that trigger the behavior, and go to places where you can buy or bum a smoke, you're seriously putting your chances of quitting at risk.

You have to quit for a while, and beware: The 1st time you go for drinks, you will get a craving like you won't believe. Do not give into it. In order to quit smoking you MUST do one thing: Not smoke. Period. You will get cravings. They will pass quickly, do not give in to them.

sorry just got back from a dive trip. the good news... went 3 days without smoking. The bad news, I broke down on the last nite of the trip as we were celebrating the end of the vacation and finishing some courses and we ended up having a good number of beers in at a local bar full of smokers. :( ended up bumming a few smokes... Didn't take that earlier advice on avoiding bars... Just got to slap myself and start again. And this time, not to be stupid and begin a stop-smoking resolution right before a vacation weekend!

I smoked from ages 14-29. At the end I smoked 2 packs of Marlboro pretty much every day. (I started diving at age 18). I think starting at age 25 or so I only bought packs (no more cartons) because every pack was my last. I remember the price/pack at 35 cents.

At age 25 or so I went to something called SmokeEnders where I had to count each cig and record the event. Then there were group meetings and such. That didn't work for me at all.

At age 29 I took a job way over my head. I had no idle time. I woke up one morning and said to myself, if this job is going to work I need to focus and not waste time lighting up. There was no "cold turkey" at all. I've never had another cig since. (I have had maybe 8 or so ceremonial cigars in the last 20 years).

(Now we could have another thread about the vices subsequent job stress caused :) )

I still smoke ( pipes and cloves only) but VERY rarely now, 1 smoke every two to three weeks. But for me, it has never been about the nicotine, it's been about relaxation. Before I began diving, it was my only way to really kick back. Now however, I would rather go diving to relax. Hence my smoking has dropped significantly, to the point of being laughed at by other smokers. That's ok, they can can keep laughing and coughing, while I'm down under with my mates seeing glorious things and having a great time.
I see that you're the same age as me, you can do it!!

JeffG:
Cold turkey may or may not be the best way. My friend did it that way. I was always unable to do it.

I used the patch to lower the physical cravings while I dealt with the behavioral cravings (smoking while drink, after a meal etc etc). After I got that under control, I just slowly lowered the patch level until I no longer had the physical cravings.

Haven't been successful with cold turkey. You've inspired me---I'm buying patches tomorrow morning. Then you guys have to help me with the math to see my SAC get better!

Never smoked BECAUSE of diving, no smoking of anything; no drugs of any kind either.

Back
Top Bottom