• Quit-more than 12 months ago

Votes: 75 20.0%
  • Quit-but went back to smoking

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Non-smoker (never smoked)

Votes: 183 48.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I eat healthy, excersize alot, take in lots of nicotine and carbon monoxide, work in a stress heightened job (That gets the adrenalin going!) and buy stock in condom making companies! What a rush!

Help support me in my financial endeavors! Have a "GOOD YEAR" now! *snicker*

diverbrian once bubbled...

And they say that smoking is dangerous. :D How can anyone smoke and maintain the stamina for that? Jeez......

I've never understood the appeal of it. Now that I'm a diver, it's even less desireable. Anything that cuts into my bottom time is bad....

Kat once bubbled...
I meet more smokers than non-smokers, in everyday activities.

Really?? You think this is reflective of the overall population in the US?

Man .... I must lead a really sheltered life then, because almost no one I know (at work or socially) smokes.

Here in Florida in our last election there was a popular vote to ammend the state constitution to make smoking illegal in restaurants (similar to NY and CA). The ammendment passed with about 71% for the ammendment and 29% against. They (media) said that the ratio is almost the same as the nationwide average of smokers (just under 30%) and non-smokers (just over 70%).

I voted against the ammendment by the way. I'm a smoker, but I would have voted the same even if I wasn't. I have a hard time believing that the risk to non-smokers from smokers is as high as 'they' say... just my opinion. FYI - I started at around 13 years old (35 now). Stupid teen agers...

As to diving, I haven't found smoking to have much effect in general. I've found my air consumption to be about average with other male divers. But who knows... maybe if I didn't smoke it would be that much better, in fact I am sure it would, but I am not ready to quit. When I was getting certified back in '93 I was concerned about it. Not so much for safety reasons, but I figured the instructors or other students may look down on me for smoking. Well, I didn't hide it, but I didn't go around blowing smike in people's faces either. It looked like the only two smokers in the class were me and my buddy who I took the class with. The class had about 20 students with 5 instructors/DMs. On the first day of our check out dives I wanted a smoke between dives (at Dutch Springs in PA). I looked around for some other smokers and 3 of the 5 instructors turned out to be smokers. That really surprised me, but it was also a relief.

Smoking is certainly unhealthy and I would never recommend it, but its a personal choice and if divers or any adult want's to do it, that's their right.

-Joe

JoeFL once bubbled...
Here in Florida in our last election ... 71% for the ammendment and 29% against.

But, in the end, who really can tell. It could have been 29% for and 32% against with the remaining 39% voting Castro into the Governer's Mansion. What with Florida's voting track record, and all.

:wink:

saying once bubbled...

But, in the end, who really can tell. It could have been 29% for and 32% against with the remaining 39% voting Castro into the Governer's Mansion. What with Florida's voting track record, and all.

:wink:

Hey, anything's possible down here. Regular doses of compressed air at depth help me tolerate FL's little character flaws. Maybe its the nitrogen?

No one ever seems to mention that smokers just plain STINK.

or even worse that when i get out of the water (shore dive near the club), and in the club, everybody is smoking....
just plain d.......g

Back
Top Bottom