How many of you love diving with your spouse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still dive with my ex-wife ... how many people can say that?

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hope nothin' ever happens to her while ya'll are UW.....:)

I still dive with my ex-wife ... how many people can say that?

Not me. My first wife and I got certified together, as something we thought we just had to do when we were planning a trip to Australia. But she never liked it. She felt there was too much gear, too much hassle. Diving was just one of many facets of our lives in which we did not see eye to eye. My present wife and I are better matched :D

It can be fun. But our diving and attitudes are somewhat mismatched, which can be an issue. My wife's what people on the forum think of as a vacation diver; a few dives every once in awhile, sort of the cruise ship excursion mentality, warm water, aquarium conditions, excellent viz., ocean diving on pretty reefs, preferably not drift. Tends to lag behind too far at times and has been prone to 'helicoptering' (above & behind me & my main dive buddy). Prefers to stay shallow. Prone to get sea sick, including at the surface on shore dives; for reasons I do not understand if she gets sick I'm also supposed to not just get her to the surface but exit the water with her (in Bonaire).

I've an avid diver. Spend a lot of time on Scuba Board. Like to read about diving. Not driven to dive deep for deep's sake, but will dive deep for a purpose (e.g.: visit a wreck), and prefer warm but will invade cold water if there's a point. Drift or non-drift is fine. I tend to be somewhat 'mission oriented' vs. my wife's approach to things is more, well, to paraphrase her, 'lallygagging around.' If she had 6 dives in a week on Bonaire, that would be fine. Under 15 and I'd be wringing my hands crying out 'Why, cruel world, why?' I'm willing to hold hands a little if it brings her pleasure, I suppose, but as an introverted only child who spent a lot of time alone growing up, it's not natural for me to do long.

She's opposed to me solo diving but she lost that power struggle. When she's not feeling like diving and my main buddy is napping in Bonaire, I don't need to beg a pity dive out of either one of them, and I ain't planning on ever going back.

Diving with my wife can be fun, especially if we see neat animals so we can share a good experience. But she's a dabbler and an easy diver. Once our toddler is older, if she returns to diving, were I to take her diving I'd be thinking Bonaire or the Florida Keys. But not this deep wreck diving in North Carolina I'm hoping to do, with 2 hour boats rides to & from, over the Atlantic Ocean...

My main dive buddy is a good friend of ours who's training & experience largely mirror mine, but he's smaller, leaner, way fitter & a better diver though I've got probably 40 dives plus on him.

Richard.

My wife is also my dive buddy. Since we were certified many years ago, I have never been on a dive without her. Honestly, while I love diving, it would have never been the same without her to share the experience.

I was OW certified with my ex-husband on our honeymoon. He's logged about 25 dives, I've logged 1,200. It didn't work out.

Hopefully the next relationship will include more dives together :).

I've done more dives with Cheng since we got divorced than I did when we were married ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My wife doesn't read scubaboard so I can be completely frank. I LOVE diving with her. I'd say 90% of my dives have been with her by my side. What's with all the hate for holding hands? We do our stops etc with eachother near, but often we will hold hands diving for moments here and ther just like we do topside - just to be affectionate and to enjoy the other's presence. And to give a squeeze :) We are currently on a trip in Bali, and this trip she has taken up underwater photography too. So we dive, share subjects, and then in the evening review our pictures together and discuss technique and strobe placement and f stops and so on. I love it. Sharing this passion gives us another adventurous thing to do together, and I feel closer to her than ever before. She is my LifeBuddy!

Its too bad she doesn't get on scuba board, she's missing out on a very nice post.

I really look forward to diving with my wife... once I actually meet her. I've never even dated a woman who dives! At least I get to dive with my son and that is great fun (although not the same as submerging with a lady-go-diver).

My husband and I have been diving together since 1989. We are always buddies except when our girls dove with us. Been married over 50 years, so we have worked out most of our differences, above and below water.

---------- Post added January 30th, 2015 at 02:11 PM ----------

It's an improvement from the old days, where he dove "DFA" (death from above, the pattern of diving slightly behind and above one's buddy).

My husband still tends to do this. He says it's because I have a tendency to dart off to photograph something and he can see where I am going easier. Drives me nuts!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom