How many of you think solo is OK to do and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A very interesting discussion. I have dove solo many times on the California coast. The reason was either for spear fishing, or lobster hunting (both in season with valid fishing license). In my opinion, the whole issue of solo diving boils down to two or three factors. The first two are of primary importance. Common sense, and personal responsibility and accountability. Even when diving with a buddy, you must always assume that you are responsible for your own safety. Even when diving with a buddy, you have to always evaluate your own situation and respond correctly. You cannot assume that you have additional protection with a buddy, and that he/she will save you if you have a problem. If you drown, you cannot blame your buddy for not saving you. You must use common sense to evaluate your situation. If conditions are adverse, maybe you should abort the dive (being with a buddy will not make it less dangerous). Many other posters to this thread have commented on how dive buddies are not always aware of each others position. I am an underwater photographer and many times lag behind the dive group (and my wife who is my dive buddy). I get my reg serviced annually, but if it ever did fail, there are times when it would be easier to do an emergency accent, then try to catch up to my dive buddy. This is a situation which I accept.

As I see it, the number one problem in solo diving would be an extreme medical emergency. If you have a cardiac arrest while diving alone there is no one to pull you to shore or the boat. That said, maybe it was your time to go, and even a dive buddy wouldn't be able to get you medical assistance in time to save you.

The third rule to diving solo (which I've not always practiced) is that it helps to be familiar with the dive site, and to place a depth limit on how deep you will go on a solo dive. I can free dive to 40 feet, so if I had an equipment malfunction at that depth or a bit deeper, I have confidence I could do an emergency accent without issues. Once again, this boils down to common sense and the ability to constantly evaluate your current status. You always need to set limits on diving parameters based on your skill set, and possibly these limits should be more conservative when solo diving.

Just my two cents.

Dennis

I tried that with my bungeed octo and and found it to be too uncomfortable. While it might give you an edge when buddy diving, while solo diving I suspect it is more likely th just change to time of death - and not by much. I doubt if the mouthpiece will seal without conscious mouth muscles.

But it can't hurt.

Maybe regarding time of death is correct. I THINK my mouthpiece would stay in because it is one of those molded to my teeth ones, but who knows. I rarely dive nitrox, but figure it could be of big help if I ever convulsed--but again, only with buddy who could pull me shallower. Of course a full face mask would be best if you want to spend the money.

I don't think it's OK I know it's OK. I've been solo diving since the 1970's and here I am safe and sound and that's how I know it's OK...for me.

I also solo dive and find myself much more aware of what is going on vs. watching issues for someone else.
I've trained and use back up systems, (spare air, timer, depth gauge).
Many recent cases found solo diving to be safe for those who are trained and comfortable with being able to address and perform issues on their own.

Is is fun to dive with other folks? Sure. However, if no one is diving I'm still going...

I've been using a bungee cord last couple of years to hold my mouthpiece in should I go unconscious for any reason (figure it's a good idea solo OR with buddy). Think I mentioned this before on SB. Anyone else do this? Comments?

If you go unconscious, I don't think this will keep you alive. I think you can simulate this situation, just relax all your muscles while underwater, don't do any move, and see if water seep in. Being unconscious may cause other issues such as body rotating in water in other position than normal diving position, due to the center of gravity position, currents, etc. If you rotate face up, regulator may be pushed out while expiring.
For solving this issue, I use a full face mask in my configuration.

LE: For me the solo diving is the most preferred way of diving. What I do in order to be able to come back to my family after each dive:
-I own everithing I use for diving, from compressor to the last bit of nothing which I use in a dive
-I do all the service, maintenance and cleaning for everything I use. Except hydro testing.
-I do not use any device I am not capable to fully understand how it works, how and why it can fail. Here, experience of others, especially from this board, is valuable.
-my configuration is fully redundant, wing with dual bladder, 2 independent cylinders sidemounted, full face mask with primary and secondary 2nd stages permanently attached, primary and backup computer, 2 cutting tools, dsmb, reel, signaling horn, mirror
-I am using always appropiate protection for elements, depending on temperature, wet or dry suit.
-6-7 times each month I do pool time with my gear and a video camera, to check everything, trim, position, etc, to train muscle memory, to be able to find and use all my tools
-I use appropriate gas planning, I am not afraid to cancel a dive if anything looks suspicious.
At least that's what I can remember. I feel very confortable being alone with my gear and I actually found in few ocasions, diving with other people is a bit stressing for me. I don't know exactly why, but at the end of the dive, when I check air consumption, is a bit higher when I dive in a team/buddy compared with a solo dive.

Last edited:
One of my favorite old SCUBA advertisements;

voit.jpg

Reading though this thread is more dangerous than solo SCUBA. I do not accept that there is by default any increased risk in solo and if there is, it is manageable. I believe in simple and minimal systems that I understand and physical fitness. Below my free dive depth I tend to use redundant systems, above it not. That is a floating and evolving decimal point dependent upon environmental factors and familiarity with the dive and how I feel at a given time. I tend to follow a basic Rule of Thirds but do not get religious about it but I do apply the intent. Many times I have seen buddy teams that together are far less prepared and capable than I am solo, not even close.

After taking the SDI course, just to be official and because it worked out, I was immediately afterward, meh, no big deal, not especially valuable. But in retrospect it has changed a few things I do, not that I did not know to do them before but simply because I had decided they were not needed. Since then I have reimplemented several strategies that I had marginalized. So, I think I spent my time well with the course. Am I a safer solo diver as a result of this course, I cannot say that is so. I think you can see that I am still mulling over the value of a course for something I had been doing for over 40 years without. But I have come to agree that such a course can be of value to the diver making his/her first solo forays.

It is often asked, when am I ready to solo, beats me. If one finds themselves saying "my instructor said(says) blah, blah, blah" then that alone tells me something. At some point the maturing diver needs to begin to think for themselves, to extrapolate based on knowledge and experience and application thereof. Unfortunately most divers I encounter are perpetual students seeking a (next) mentor. At some point, the grasshopper ought to realize, he is become the master.

Some day, probably not that far away, age will catch up with me. But not yet, I am not just good as I was once, I am better than i was all the time. When that is not true, I will get a buddy to hold hands with.

N

Perhaps the best post I've ever read on the subject!

Imagine, being a "thinking" diver, assessing and reassessing your capabilities and procedures and knowing your own limits. That is the mark of a solo diver.

Not going through the entire thread to see if I've posted before, but here goes.

I've dived solo for 52 years now, initially because there was only one kit to share among us. At times it was undoubtedly inappropriate for me to dive solo back then. Today after thousands of dives I still take a few chances that I shouldn't but they are based on prior experience.

I never recommend solo diving to anyonee lse unless I am very familiar with their diving and psychology. Since I dive solo thar is generally unlikely. To me the most important factor in determining whether one is ready to dive solo is a knowledge of how one acts in an emergency situation. Panic or high anxiety? Then no. Calm response to emergencies? Possibly. Yo can have all the gear you need to dive solo, but if you panic at the first sign of an emergency it may not do you any good.

Not going through the entire thread to see if I've posted before, but here goes.

I've dived solo for 52 years now, initially because there was only one kit to share among us. At times it was undoubtedly inappropriate for me to dive solo back then. Today after thousands of dives I still take a few chances that I shouldn't but they are based on prior experience.

I never recommend solo diving to anyonee lse unless I am very familiar with their diving and psychology. Since I dive solo thar is generally unlikely. To me the most important factor in determining whether one is ready to dive solo is a knowledge of how one acts in an emergency situation. Panic or high anxiety? Then no. Calm response to emergencies? Possibly. Yo can have all the gear you need to dive solo, but if you panic at the first sign of an emergency it may not do you any good.

Thanks for chiming in again, I have been reading all the posts, I wanted to respond to your comment because it does bring a very important element into view and that is how one reacts to an emergency situation. Calm or panic. Very important point to emphasize. Going over these things in mind gives me a better understanding on how to approach solo diving. At least I feel more informed than before thanks to all of you.

I've been using a bungee cord last couple of years to hold my mouthpiece in should I go unconscious for any reason (figure it's a good idea solo OR with buddy). Think I mentioned this before on SB. Anyone else do this? Comments?

I bungee mine, but for different scenario, alternobaric vertigo.
The first time I was hit hard, solo, and hadn't a clue what it was at the time. I seriously thought I had a stroke or similar. I was severely disoriented and nauseous for a brief moment, although seemed like forever. I hadn't a clue where I was. Once it passed, the 2nd stage mouthpiece was slack in my mouth. I checked air and got my bearings and stayed put for a few minutes, then surfaced. Thankfully, I didn't have to ralf.
I got checked out by my GP and and ENT and nothing wrong.
Then I got hit a second time, solo, but when I felt it coming on I was somewhat more prepared, but it wasn't as bad.
Since then, I bungee mine, JIC I have one like my first episode.
YMMV

PS Both instances where brought on by a hood, not accelerated ascent. First time, snug hood, 54d water, second time, a lighter hood in warmer water but the air venting from my mask upon accent was going directly into my hood. Hood trimmed since.
Thankfully, wearing da hoodz is seasonal down here :D

Back
Top Bottom