How many of you visually inspect your own tank interior?

Do you visually inspect your own tank(s)?

• Yes, officially

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • Yes, unofficially

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • No, the LDS Does it

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • No, they fill it regardless

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you taken a visual inspection course? I assume you are mostly diving AL80s?

I would start with a proper course, perhaps in Italy or another EU country. They can help you understand how much equipment will cost (since importing from Italy, Spain or possibly Turkey is probably most practical). You could then start doing hydros on your own without the huge hurdles that "official" test centers have to just through. As long as you don't try to say your hydros have legal authority. You could create your own Libya specific mark, keep your own records.

[QUOTE="

Slight thread jack:

Where are you getting your VIP stickers?[/QUOTE]

I made a simple sticker design and then had a company called Print Runner print them on a waterproof vinyl sticker. Total cost was just over $50 for 75 stickers. I've got about 6 months on my first set and they seem to be holding up as well as any shop stickers I have used in the past.

Interesting thread to say the least. I was at Deep Six Dive store in Stuart, FL with a tank that had current VIP from another local shop. The VIP sticker was generic and did not have shop name or logo on it. The gentleman refused to fill the tank. Their choice obviously but I'd never go to that store again.

Can someone who's taken the VIP class please approximate the cost of the equipment needed to certify the tanks: light wand..... I can take care of the stickers myself.

As a rebreather and former OC trimix diver I have over 20 tanks. I have PSI/PCI training with a few renewals behind me and I do most of my own inspections. Sometimes I will have a LDS inspect a tank (often if I'm too busy to oxygen clean it myself) but that's usually once every few years. I either work at or am known at the shops I get fills at so they have no problem accepting my PSI/PSCI stickers.

Reactions: Tug
I have about 16 tanks (I know!!) so I can make up the cost of the course pretty soon. But still not sure I want to bypass the LDS which I have a long term relationship with.

The higher power led mini-mag lite works well for visuals. No need for an electric outlet nearby. :)

With all the home inspectors like my self. there gets a point where the home brewed stickers are questioned as being legit. My stickers are PSI and they don't seem to draw attention. I have seen some custom ones that do get questioned. especially when they come from divers n areas with stickers that the shop does not recognize as being local. Hence the ??? was the tank not inspected and just re stickered by the owner to save money. That is why many sticker providers require a course cert to get the stickers. Kinda like getting regulator kits.

Back
Top Bottom