How many of you visually inspect your own tank interior?

Do you visually inspect your own tank(s)?

• Yes, officially

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • Yes, unofficially

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • No, the LDS Does it

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • No, they fill it regardless

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to add a suitable light. You can build one from a short length (3ft) of LED light rope from home depot.

whoops forgot that in my post.... good catch

As far as stickers go, I use this one.
Homey.png

TC:
The higher power led mini-mag lite works well for visuals. No need for an electric outlet nearby. :)
You only have one light direction then. To inspect the bottom and sidewalls properly, the light needs to be moved around inside the tank to reflect off (eg a pit) in different directions. Unless the walls are pristine, but that is rare.

I do my own tanks myself along with O2 cleaning; It is not rocket science. When I need to use a tumbler I do the work at a local dive shop that I am good terms with. Usually a whip on a drill + with Simple Green mixture will suffice.

I use PSI-PCI stickers on my personal tanks. I have only had them been questioned once but fortunately that shop changed owners so it's not an issue anymore locally. The biggest issue I've had with "stickers" has been those damn nitrox band stickers.

I've taken Visual Cylinder Inspection courses from PSI-PCI, have gone through a few renewals with them and recently went through SDI/TDI's new course curriculum. I also recommend Vance Harlow's Oxygen Hacker's Companion book.

Tools to use.
Good lights are must. I made one from rope lights and use those cheap flexible lights for smaller bottles (Flexible Shaft LED Lights 2 Pc)
Mirror and magnifier glass
A whip to remove flash rust/light surface rust on steel tanks and for O2 cleaning
Cheap Ultrasonic Cleaner (for rebuilding valves)
Pick for assessing pits
Tribolube 71 / Cristolube (I don't bother with silicone lubricant for my valves, less confusion)

You only have one light direction then. To inspect the bottom and sidewalls properly, the light needs to be moved around inside the tank to reflect off (eg a pit) in different directions. Unless the walls are pristine, but that is rare.
With the head of it removed the light distribution is actually pretty good.

I have a comparable el cheapo version of the mini-mag and there's too much reflection off the threads for me, especially in an AL tank. I have a rope light with black electrical tape around the first 3" or so that cuts down on the glare off the neck area.

I've got 22 cylinders - so I VIP and O2 clean my own. Also service my own regulators.

I'm PSI/PCI trained VCI, OCCT, and VRT - current. Mfg trained for Scubapro, Hollis and Oceanic gear. Also a shop employee - so I have shop resources. Makes life a bit easier.

Last edited:
I have been doing VIPs myself since getting TDI trained. Ironically I took the class because I was more interested in figuring out why my tanks had to get tumbled every time I took them for VIP at my local dive shop. Still I cannot tell if it was due to poor training or making an extra buck on the tumbling. Either way I now do it on my own annually. I do clean any spots using appropriate tools/techniques, and take them in only for hydros. Never had a shop question my Ebay purchased stickers. Afterall hydro is the DOT safety test. If you want to breath air mixed with rust particles that is not an LDS concern ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom